The Young and the Hopeless

Movin' On

McKala's P.O.V.

I stared at my boyfriend's twin. "Are you serious?"

"Yeah. Mickey, I'm so sorry."

"Why couldn't he have done this himself?"

"Because he's Joel. He doesn't like to hurt people."

"So he has you do it, because . . . you like it?"

"No, I don't. Honestly, I hate it. But he felt it better if I did it, so it wasn't as hard on either of you."

"Oh. Well, I've . . . I've gotta go. Bye, Benj."

I shoved past Joel, who was walking up to the table with his lunch, and headed toour his locker to get my stuff. I found the papers I'd requested in my bookbag and made a quick decision. After forging my father's signature, I wrote my own on the appropriate line, and carried my books and the form to the main office. Ms. Reichart gave me a pass to leave once she'd signed the drop-out slip; I hurried out of the school and left everything I knew behind.

Joel's P.O.V.

"Hey, Benj. Where's she off to?"

"Um, Joel? I have something to tell you."

"Is Mickey okay?"

"It's . . . sort of, y'know . . . about her."

"Tell me."

"Sh-she told me to tell you that she couldn't be with you anymore."

"What?" My brother bowed his head, sadly. "Why?"

"Apparently, she felt you guys were continuing to drift apart."

"But . . . we were doing so well."

"I guess not."

"Why didn't she do this herself?"

"She didn't want it to be so hard on either of you."

I stared at my tray of food, no longer hungry. Benji smiled grimly as the bell rang; I stood abruptly and went to my locker. Hoping to catch up to McKala, my heart dropped when I couldn't find her. I opened the locker and found a note on the inside.

Joel, I'm so sorry. I'm dropping out. Memories here will just suffocate me. Have a nice life. Find someone you can truly love and be happy with. Youu'll always be on my heart, a permanent scar, although I'm movin' on with what I've got, and nothing I don't. I love you always and forever. Love, Mickey.