The Young and the Hopeless

Lifestyles Of the Rich and the Famous

McKala's P.O.V.

"I wanna be rich," Joel murmured as I lay in his bed.

"Why?"

"So I can take you to expensive restaurants, buy you nice things, and give you everything you could ever ask for in this world."

I propped up on one elbow and stared at him in the dark. "Joel, I don't want to go to expensive restaurants. I want to cook for you every night of our lives--or, in our case, you can cook for us. I don't want nice things. I'm hardcore and trashy. Why would I change that? And I've already got everything I could ever ask for. I have you, and that's enough. I appreciate the thought, but it ain't how I roll."

"So you're content with me not being able to get you the whole world at your beck and call?"

"Yes. Because I don't want all that. I want you, Joel. Not what's in large cities. Just what's holding me right now. I love you, and only you."

"I love you, too. That's why I wanna give you the best."

"You think the best is living in an environment where the right amount of money can get you out of prison even if you murder your wife? Or where you can run for mayor even if McDonald's won't rehire you because you were caught smoking crack? Joel, the best you can give me is what I have now. I wouldn't change this for the world. I wouldn't change our relationship for all the money ever offered to us."

He kissed me then, and I knew he believed me. It was true: Joel and I had something that could never be replaced. I sighed into the lip-lock and slid closer to the guy who owned my heart for the rest of forever.

"Joel?"

"Hm?"

"Who needs the lifestyles of the rich and the famous when I have you?"