The Young and the Hopeless

My Bloody Valentine

Joel's P.O.V.

Her boyfriend sucked. Not quite literally---at least, not that I was aware of---but I hated him. He had her. She was different from the others. She wore cut-off shorts almost all year round, and her hairstyle of choice was flowing around her shoulders in chopped layers she did herself. I don't think she ever realised how beautiful and rare she was.

"Joel? Come back to Earth please."

"Huh? Oh, sorry, Sare. What's up?"

"Never mind. You seem pretty involved with your thoughts."

"Sorry. You're not mad, are you?"

"No, because I know who you're thinking about. She's really cool. But her boyfriend...not so much."

I half-smiled at my sister. "My thoughts exactly."

Three months later, I had my first conversation with her. She had just broken up with her boyfriend, and my siblings had convinced me to take a chance. What could it hurt? I plucked up my courage and talked to her.

"Ain't you the kid who helped me out of trouble not too long ago?"

"Y-yeah. When you first came to town."

"Yeah." She let a lazy grin spread across her face. "I remember you. How ya doin'?"

"Not bad. You?"

"Meh. Been better, Y'know something?"

"I know a lot of things."

"You're funny. And really cute. I wanna kiss you."

"Really now?"

Though I'd said it nonchalantly, calmly, my heart pounded in my chest a million beats per second. I could feel my breath hitch when she leaned closer.

"Yeah. Really. Is that okay?"

"Yeah."

Her lips were soft, the loop cold against my mouth. I closed my eyes and let her lead; I jolted when her tongue brushed against mine. An icy bar met the interior of my mouth. She pulled away too soon.

"Wanna be my valentine?"

I realised then that it was February the fourteenth. "Yeah."

I had always dreamed of her being mine. Then the reality sank in: she was my bloody valentine for a while.