The Young and the Hopeless

Hold On

McKala's P.O.V.

I crawled through the window, flopping down clumsily onto the bed. One twin groaned and muttered,

"Your boyfriend's in the other bed."

"Thanks, Benji."

"Mickey?"

"Yeah. Unless you were expecting some other trashy skank?"

"Nope. Just the one I'm holding right now."

"Joel!"

"Sh. I was kidding. You're not a trashy skank. You're my wonderful, beautiful girlfriend."

I kissed him quickly. "I love you sometimes."

"Just sometimes?"

"Oh, who am I kidding? I love you all the time."

"He did it again?"

"Yeah. Joel, why does he continue to do this? I'm trying my damnedest to do things perfect, but ever since Mom ran with that dick, he's been angry. I can never do anything right. Can't I just get this over with?"

"Get what over with?"

"My life.Just kill myself and never deal with this shit."

"No. You will never, ever commit suicide. You have us. We need you to stay alive. I need you alive, not in some cold impersonal box six feet below the ground. Please, Mickey, promise me that no matter what happens, you will never kill yourself."

"I...I promise to try not to."

"McKala, please."

"I'm not sure if I can, Joel. It's too much. When Mom left, she stuck me in the worst position possible: alone while still growing up. I was innocent for God's sake. Then she had to go and get herself a new family. Wasn't I enough? Wasn't I the best child I could be?"

"I'm...I'm sure you were. She just wasn't ready."

"Then why didn't she just give me up when I was born? Or get an abortion? Why leave?"

"For the same reason my dad did. They were both selfish." He sighed. "Mickey, I'm honestly trying to help you the same way you help me. I don't think it's working, though."

"You're doing just fine."

"Mickey?"

"Yeah, baby?"

"Please do me a favour."

"What's that?"

"Always remember that I'll love you until I die. And regardless of how hard life gets, you'll continue to hold on."