A Picture Changed My Life Forever

And we never paid attention in school.

Ray pointed to a Math equation that he wrote down on a piece of paper. It had something to do with multiplying fractions. "So, the denominator of this thingy... is multiplied with the numerator of the fraction opposite of it... or the other way around... and this is mutiplied with the numerator of the other side... or vice-versa... or something... to find out which is greater than or less than. So, do this example please..." I heard him say, but only barely. I was too occupied with my own thoughts. What did Bob mean? Why do I care so much? What the heck is Ray trying to tell me? I don't understand the world anymore.

I just stared at the piece of paper, trying to drill a whole into it with my eyes. I felt hot tears prick my eyes.

"Sam, are you listening to me?" Ray said, waving his hand in front of my face.

"Nope," I answered bitterly. I looked at him and let my features soften. "Sorry. I'm just... distracted."

"What with? We could talk about it since I don't know what I'm teaching you very clearly and what not," he said as he gently laid the pencil he was holding on the table.

"With Gerard." I sighed.

"Ah, your love for him, how you have to bottle it up inside of you since you can't tell him, and it hurts because you can't tell him, and now you think you're living a lie," he said.

I nodded. "It hurts. Very much."

"I can imagine. But why don't you go tell him?" Ray asked.

Why is everyone asking that? Isn't it obvious enough? "Because, Ray. Pretend you're in my position, you love someone... sixteen years older than you. Psh. Not a chance, my friend, none."

Ray grinned mischevously. "Not a chance, eh?"

I looked at him in the eye for the first time in his whole Math class. "What do you mean?" I asked, curiously. What was it that EVERYONE knew that I didn't? This was getting annoying.

"Um, nothing. Now just head on to Mikey's Eyecare class. Next to Frank's room, to the left." He said. He dragged me out of the door and shut it behind me before I could ask any more questions.

Fine then. If Bob and Ray didn't want to tell me, Mikey will....