A Picture Changed My Life Forever

The Reason.

I remember that day. It was my birthday last year, before I went on my so-called "emo" phase. I was actually a prep. One of those extremely snobby preps who wear pink designer clothes and glittery pink lip gloss.

My conversion to this new girl I am now is basically why the preps in my school hate me.

April Four, 2006.

I giddily jumped down the stairs, finding my family in the kitchen.

"Happy birthday!" Mom screamed happily. She pulled me closer to her and hugged me until I was choking.

"Thanks, Mom," I said, hugging back.

"Happy birthday, kiddo," Dad said, giving me my gift. It was a gift certificate to any clothing store in the local mall.

"Dad! Thank you!" I screamed and hugged him. "Any clothing store at all?"

"Any clothing store," he replied, winking.

"Thanks! I'm gonna call Daphnie and Jade to go with me," I said, grabbing my cellphone.

I turned my back towards my parents who were still smiling.

"Wait, I'm taking you to the mall," Phil said, grinning.

"Sure, Phil." I said. He hasn't started the whole child abuse thing that time.

Oh, was that all about to change.

We walked on the sidewalk, on the way to the mall. We passed by this park which looked deserted. No one was in sight. All of a sudden, Phil shoved me to a tree. My back rammed against it and it felt as if cuts had already opened and fresh crimson blood was already oozing out.

Phil held me by my shoulders and threw me over his shoulder. "Oh, your body is shaking, Sam..."

"Phil, why are you doing this to me?" I whimpered, tears choking my voice.

"Because you deserve this."

"What did I do?" I felt distant. I felt like dying at that moment. I felt insecure. Someone I trusted and loved just hurt me. Abused me. Abused the little trust I had in him.

He threw me to the green grass, encouraging my cuts to get bigger. He started to kick my sides in any direction he could until he was content with my bleeding. I came to the conclusion that he was drunk or something. I was wondering why he didn't act like that this morning.

He picked up serveral stones, about the size of a lemon each. He was about to throw one at me when someone appeared.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?" That someone screamed.

"Go away," my brother gruggily replied.

"Stop that!" The person screamed.

I managed to titlt my head to see who that person was. The person was wearing black. A nice black blouse with dark purple lace holding the cut in the middle together. She had black skinnies on and a silver chain hanging from her pocket.

She ran near me. She put her two fingers on my neck and felt a faint pulse, I guess.

Phil then looked at his bloody hands if he just realized what he did. His mouth hung wide open. He then looked at me with terrified eyes. "I'm so sorry, Sam..." He said, even though he sounded like he didn't mean it.

Then he ran away.

The person helped me up. I didn't usually talk to girls like her before. Popular crowd for me, remember?

"I'm Dana," she said.

"I'm Sam," I managed to mumble.

"Can you walk?" She asked me.

I tried to, but my back hurt. "I can, but it hurts."

"Do you think you can make it across the street? My house is just there and I think my mom can help clean up those cuts."

END FLASHBACK.

"Is that why you're so upset over losing Dana as your bestfriend?" Frank asked.