Freedom From Eden

Chapter 2

The next morning Kathy woke up feeling well rested though she had slept in tight jeans and full wedding make up. She got up to look around the room. It took her awhile to remember where she was and what she had done. Though the guestroom was under furnished and lacking in decor it still had a little bathroom with a shower. She washed off all the memories of her past life as this was the dawn of a new one. Wrapping her long hair in a towel she got dressed in the same jeans and a plain black T-shirt. She dried her hair and hanged the towel to dry before going downstairs for breakfast. The house seemed to bathe in the smell of someone frying up bacon and eggs. It was a scent she had not been accustomed to as her parents had never made breakfast in their life. She walked through the open door of the kitchen to see a most wonderful sight. The three men enjoying breakfast. She couldn’t help smiling as it was a sight she had never seen before. Her family never ate together and here she could feel love in the room. Zach and Matthew sitting by the table as Dean fried up more bacon and eggs. A cheerful good morning was heard from all accompanied by a shy smile from Zach. She took a seat next to Matthew who was reading the paper as Dean gave her a cup of coffee.
“So, how do you like your eggs?” He asked leaning against the counter next to the stove.
“Um, sunny side up, I guess.” She replied twirling the spoon in her cup.
“Coming right up!” Dean replied and turned around to cook her breakfast.
It was quite early in the morning still and the sunrise was filling the house with yellow light that made it seem even more homely. Matthew lifted his head from the paper laughing privately at the comics. Kathy felt a weird sensation inside as she saw his laughing eyes highlight his gorgeous smile. It was the butterflies of infatuation making them known to her but she was too inexperienced in the affairs of cupid to know. She took a sip of her coffee and turned to look at Zach as she heard him sigh in a dreaming fashion. Her eyes grew larger with wonder mixed in amusement.
“So, what’s your plan of action?” Matthew asked as Dean placed a plate in front of Kathy.
“Oh, I’m not sure yet. I think I’ll try to find an apartment first and then find a job.” She answered taking a fork in hand. She loved the food though it was nothing special but it was made with love like all cooking should. Matthew wrote something on a piece of paper.
“Here. It’s my number in case you don’t find a place tonight.” He smiled and handed it to Kathy. She looked at it and at Matthew giving a little smile as a thank you. She finished her plate and thanked Dean for the best breakfast she had ever eaten. He bowed like an artist after a successful show as Kathy got up to go pack the few items she had taken out of her bags. She got out her favourite pair of shoes, a worn out pair of suede Converses and headed downstairs. She threw on her leather jacket and put on the shoes as the guys came to the hallway to see her off.
“Thank you guys so much for letting me stay here for the night.” She said as she stood up straight.
“It was our pleasure. Right guys?” Matthew smiled as the rest nodded. Zach in particular as he had taken a liking to her but being the shy guy he is he couldn’t show it as she was leaving.

She put one of the bags over her shoulder and took a firm hold of the other with the teddy’s head peeking out of it. She smiled a sad smile as she opened the door and walked out. Letting out a deep sigh she walked to the end of the driveway to head for town. She had no idea where she was going or how she was going to get there. Matthew stared at the door that Kathy had just closed behind her. He felt a sort of sadness overtake him mixed with a feeling of goodness as he had helped her out. It took a few minutes before he realised that she had to walk to town as she had no money with which to pay for a bus or a taxi. Grabbing his jacket he rushed out the door as Chantal walked down the stairs in her pyjamas scratching her hair. She had just woken up to the sound of the door closing.
“Well, morning sunshine.” Dean teased her with a cheeky smile on his lips.
She gave him a deadly look and walked passed him to get some coffee. Inside her she felt giddy at the thought of Dean’s smile.
“Where did Matt go off to?” She inquired after sitting down to eye the paper on the table. Dean couldn’t answer nor could Zach who entered the room. They honestly didn’t know as Matthew had a bad habit of acting on a whim. He had gone after Kathy to give her a ride to town. He caught her just two houses down. She had stopped to put on her beloved headphones to let the music flow through her.
“Hey, pretty lady can I give you a lift?” He called out jokingly.
Kathy turned to see who would use an overused line like that and was amazed to see Matthew in his black convertible in front of her. A smile grew to her lips as she took her bag in hand and placed it on the back seat before jumping on the passenger seat herself. He drove off with the engine roaring. She kind of loved the sound of that engine as it reminded her of the freedom she had been handed. The drive to town was quiet as neither knew what to say. He didn’t want to embarrass himself by saying something stupid and she just didn’t know what she should say to a guy who practically was a stranger to her. He pulled up to the bus station that was in the centre of the town. She could easily walk on from there.
“Thanks for the lift it really helped.” Kathy smiled as she got out of the car and got her bags.
“No problem. And remember. Call me if you need a place to stay again.” Matthew smiled back at her before bidding her farewell.

She turned around to walk to the first place she saw that rented out apartments. She entered the nice and clean office where a perky blonde secretary stared at her in disgust. She looked back at her with same feeling but smiled kindly as she asked to see whoever was in charge of renting out apartments. With a stuck up attitude the secretary got up to go parading in her miniskirt to the door of the Sales Manager who came out to greet Kathy. She followed the heavily set man back to his office and sat down as he began to go through a book of free apartments. After a quick interview of her income status and ability to pay the rent he showed her the door.
“Unfortunately Ms Eden we have nothing available right now.” He said emotionlessly.
She smiled a weak smile to cover the disappointment as she went past the bithcy secretary who looked at her like she was yesterday’s trash. She walked on to the next one where the reply was the same. By the end of the day she had been to seven different offices and heard the same apologies from all of them. She sat down at the park with her bags by her side and felt the rumbling of her tummy. She had not eaten since she left the house and the hunger was beginning to get to her. She dug around her bags to find her wallet for a small change of having money there. She took the wallet in hand and saw her credit card. It was a side card to her father’s credit card. The hunger carving through her stomach made her consider using it but she knew if she did use it her father would find out her whereabouts. She checked every compartment of the blasted thing to find a grand total of ten dollars. It was enough to get her something to eat but not enough to buy a hotel room for the night. She found her phone in one of the bags and felt extremely happy to know she had a means to get in touch with people she could ask for a bed for the night. But as she went through her phonebook she realised all the numbers she had in her phone were of people who would give her in to her parents. Sighing deeply and solemnly she placed her head in her hands feeling a tear roll down her cheek. It was all hopeless again. She dug around her pockets for a tissue but found something much better. She found the little piece of paper where Matthew had written down his number. She thought long and hard before dialling his number. She hesitated a bit and didn’t press the call button. She held the phone in her hand with the number showing on the display. She felt a sort of anxiety to rely on the kindness of a stranger. I can’t do it. She thought to herself but before she knew it the call was placed and she had no choice but ask for a place to stay as she heard Matthew’s voice saying a hello through the phone.
“Um hi, it’s Kathy. I ah…” She couldn’t finish that sentence. She could barely even start it.
“Oh, hi! You need a place to stay right? Well, of course. Where are you?” Matthew asked happily.
“I’m at the park downtown, but I can…” She began to say but was cut off.
“I’ll come get you. Stay there.” Matthew said before Kathy had had a chance to tell him no and that she could just as easily take a bus or a taxi. Matthew saved her number in the memory of his phone after hanging up and jumped up from the couch to run to the hallway. Zach who had heard the phone ring was descending as Matthew was putting on his sneakers. Zach saw the car keys in Matthew’s mouth and got curious as to the phone call.
“Was that Chantal? She’s off somewhere again.” He asked with a hint of concern in his voice.
“No, she wouldn’t call me to pick her up. She’d call you or Dean. She’s at that boy’s house again. What was his name? Damien?” Matthew replied grabbing his coat and rushed to the car. Zach was left behind baffled. He had no idea where Matthew was going and why or who was he going to see. He did know inside him that it most definitely wasn’t Chantal. Matthew was the oldest of the siblings and after the death of their parents he’d taken on the role of guardian. Chantal on the other hand was the youngest of the lot. She was 18 years old and every now and then got into to trouble with Matthew who thought her to be too young to do most things. They did love each other but she had grown tired of Matthew always overprotecting her. It was getting dark and fast as Kathy waited for Matthew in the park. She felt a bit ashamed of having called him but glad that she had a place to stay again. She saw the headlights of a familiar car heading towards her and got up to walk to the side of the street. Her face lit up as she saw Matthew’s gorgeous smile. She was growing more and more infatuated with him every time they saw each other. But being the inexperienced girl she didn’t know what was going on inside her. It was clear that the feeling of infatuation was mutual as Matthew had felt a wave of happiness rush through him as she had called him. Saying a quiet but happy hello she placed her bags on the back seat again and sat down in front and off they went. Receiving a joyous greeting from Zach and Dean she made her way to the guestroom and fell a sleep.

In the morning she woke up with a start after the nightmare. She had dreamt about running away form Jason and how he had killed her after catching her. She got up to go wash the fear off of her. After spending what seemed like an eternity in the shower she got dressed in black jeans and a red T-shirt. The house seemed oddly quiet as she made her way down the stairs to the kitchen. She could sense the intoxicating scent of coffee filling the house. The coffee maker was brewing the sweet liquid but no one was around. It seemed like she was the only one awake. She felt a bit out of place to be going through the cupboards to find a cup for her self. She managed to find a mug and sat down by the table to watch the morning come alive. She was lost in her thoughts of what was to become of her now that she still had no place to live but she had found a job at a record store.
“Who are you? And that’s my brother’s favourite mug.” A bit agitated female voice snapped her out of the depths of her mind. A young girl with black hair and red tips looked at her suspiciously. Kathy looked at the mug. It was a white mug with a baby blue unicorn on it.
“I’m Kathy and your brother is a bit odd…” She replied still looking at the mug. The girl huffed and got her own mug filled with coffee before sitting down in front of Kathy.
“I’m Chantal and yes, Zach’s a bit strange but loveable. Which one of them brought you here?” She asked just a tad bit friendlier, leaning against the window.
“Matthew. He was kind enough to give me a place to stay when I needed it.” Kathy replied a bit vaguely and took a sip of her steaming coffee as she stared out the window.
“That’s so typical of him. Always the knight in shining armour…” Chantal huffed looking out the window as she held the mug to her lips. She had been used to seeing strange women in the kitchen on an almost daily basis and thought Kathy to be one of Dean’s many conquests hence the reason for the cold shoulder. Chantal had had a crush on Dean for as long as she had known him. He was a very handsome man and women fell at his feet at the snap of a finger. Dean knew this fact and took advantage of it. He was a year older than Zach and best friends with Matthew who was the same age as Kathy. Kathy had tried to find a place for five days now but had not found anything. Every night she had called Matthew and asked for a bed for the night. He had agreed as he had a knight-in-shining-armour-complex but also ‘because he liked to have her around. It was strange that the two ladies had not met in that time but Kathy had a different schedule than Chantal. The two sat there in complete silence as neither knew what to say to the other. A quiet sip was heard every now and then. Ten minutes had passed when Chantal got up to wash her mug and go back up to her room.
“Good morning! Oh…” Came Matthew’s voice from the door as he saw his sister go past him and Kathy sitting by the table. She smiled a reply and put out her mug as Matthew inquired her for a refill.
“So, no luck.” Matthew stated as he sat down where Chantal just had sat. Kathy shook her head sighing as she stirred her coffee.
“Well, I and Zach were talking last night and thought that if you haven’t found a place yet that you could move in with us. I mean you’ve been practically living here for the past few days and well, um we’ve grown accustom to it, sorta…” Matthew suggested blushing a bit as he struggled with his words. Kathy was blown away by such a huge proposal that she almost spat out her coffee.
“Live here? I guess if it’s okay with you then yeah. Makes it easier for me. Wait, what about Dean and Chantal?” Kathy asked seeking for approval.
“Dean won’t mind. He likes you and Chantal… Well, she’ll just have to get used to sharing us with you.” Matthew laughed. What a sweet laughter it was! Kathy smiled pleased at the new arrangement though she was weary as to how Chantal would take to her living in the house. Matthew called out to Zach and Dean as they appeared to the kitchen.
“Good news guys. Katherine has agreed to live with us!” He rejoiced as the guys got coffee for themselves. Zach immediately went a bit awkward. He was going to share the house with a girl he had a crush on and who was drinking from his favourite mug. Normally he would’ve ripped it out of anyone’s hands who dared to use his mug but
since it was her he just watched enchanted by her. Dean jumped up and down with happiness that there would be a sort of mother figure in the house.
“Brilliant! So, Katherine how’s your cooking? And I shall need to know that I’m always welcomed to your bed if I get scared during the night or need the warmth of a woman’s lap.” Dean joked as he sat down next to Kathy.
“Call me Kathy. My cooking’s okay I guess and we’ll discuss about that other thing later.” She replied sternly but tongue in cheek as she saw Chantal’s freaked expression by the living room door. She had only heard a part of the conversation and the crush she had on Dean caused her to be jealous.
“Oh hey Cee. Kathy here’s gonna move in. Ain’t it great?” Dean smiled as he noticed Chantal. She just smiled as she didn’t want Dean to learn of her feelings towards him but inside she was screaming why. Little did she know how wrong she was to think that Kathy was after Dean. No, she was more interested in Matthew though she hadn’t yet noticed her feelings for what they were. Kathy could immediately see how Chantal felt for Dean. It was strange really how Kathy always knew how other people felt for someone but never in her life had she known her own emotions. Sure she had loved one boy in her 22 years of life but love was no friend of hers. He had come to her like a dream the kind that always leaves when the best part starts and left her just as she had fallen in love with him.

Kathy got up and gave the mug back to Zach who still stood by the door. She was going to go unpack as she was living here now. Zach held the mug in his hands like it was a prize cup or something more valuable than life itself. Matthew couldn’t help giving a little laugh at the sight of his over infatuated brother.
“Hey, we should have a welcoming party for Kathy!” Dean thought up a great idea.
Kathy looked at Dean with a little fear in her eyes. She had never liked to be the centre of attention and a welcoming party would be a horrifying experience for her. Both Zach and Matthew noticed her discomfort and spoke out in her defence. Zach beating Matthew to the punch and claiming the adoring glance from Kathy.
“Maybe, we’ll postpone the party indefinitely or at least until Kathy here feels at home with us.” He stated walking up next to Kathy and placing his hand on her shoulder. Both Dean and Matthew looked at him in amazement of his mannish act. Zach had never been the man of the house in any way and the fact that he took a stand like that was new to them all. Chantal couldn’t believe her ears. Her older brother seemed so strange to her at this point in time. It was all the same to her whether they threw the party for Kathy or not. She was losing her status as the only girl of the house and felt a little threatened by it. Matthew noticed the weird twitch of jealousy as Kathy looked up at Zach smiling a thank you. Kathy quickly turned to face Matthew with a most wonderful and warm smile. He could’ve melted right then and there when she rose up and brushed her hand against his shoulder as she past him to go up to what would now be known as her room.
“Thanks, for the kind gesture but I really don’t need a party.” She smiled at Dean as she stopped by the door.

Kathy unpacked her bags putting the clothes into the closet and setting her writings on the small desk that would never be big enough to hold all her works. She stacked up her cd’s on the floor next to the bed so she could listen to music every night before falling asleep. The room was down right ugly but somehow it felt like a home now that she had got her stuff out of the two bags she had been living out of for the past five days. The last thing she dug out was a picture of her and Will with their grandfather. She stared at it for a few minutes before setting it on the table next to the heart shaped jewellery box. She sat down on the bed to take in the feeling of her new home. She felt restless for some reason and started to arrange the closet. She was submerged in the fine art of colour coordination which wasn’t hard to do on her wardrobe as it mostly consisted of black, red and purple with a few pink items throwing people off as Matthew entered the room. He sat down on the bed and took her teddy in hand.
“So, how are you settling in?” He asked as he looked at the teddy smiling with a hint of laughter. Kathy took a step back having been spooked by the sudden sound of Matthew’s voice. She came to sit next to Matthew who handed her the teddy. Their hands touched and the electricity between them could be sensed from miles away. The pair stared into each others eyes. She could feel a tingly feeling rising from her stomach to her neck. She found herself yearning a kiss but being scared of the feeling she shunned away from that feeling by quickly turning to face the room as she leaned back against the wall.
“Fine, actually. Though the room is, well ghastly. Somehow it feels like a home already.” She smiled fiddling nervously with the teddy.
“Well, we aim for the modern poor decor.” Matthew joked leaning back on the bed. His head resting on her lap. She went tense for a second when she felt the weight of his head on her lap but laughed it off.
“You succeeded in it perfectly.” She laughed placing her hand on his head. Instinctively she stroked his hair which made him feel butterflies in his stomach. He brushed them off as a reaction to a still quite unknown person touching him instead of anything emotional. She was beginning to feel comfortable having him lie there as Zach entered the room. Matthew immediately rose up seeing his brother’s solemn face in the doorway.
“You should make a list of all the things you need for this room and we’ll see where and how to get them.” He said hurriedly as if covering up his actions. Kathy felt odd about this sudden change in Matthew and about the near jealous look on Zach’s face. Being true to herself she brushed it off to be pondered another time.
“I’ll do that. But let me worry about where to get the stuff. You’ve been kind enough already.” She smiled placing her hand on Matthew’s shoulder which caused Zach to become down right jealous. He had had to compete for girls affections with his brother for as long as he could remember and was quite frankly getting fed up with it.

“Um, Kathy I was wondering if you’d like some coffee?” Zach asked sounding oddly timid. Kathy immediately noticed the slightly scared tone in his voice and wondered as to its origin. She felt like he was asking her out but couldn’t be sure as he had asked if she wanted coffee and not if she wanted to go get coffee. She didn’t know how she should take the question.
“Um, sure I’d love some.” She smiled as she did love her coffee. A smile grew to Zach’s face as she said yes and he held out his hand.
“Well, c’mon. I know this great cafe down the road.” He smiled but that smile soon faded as Kathy looked at him a bit apologetically.
“Um, can’t we just have coffee downstairs. It’ll be cheaper.” She said smiling gently and feeling like she was crushing his hopes and dreams. Zach, being used to rejection, smiled weakly and nodded before vanishing to his room. He felt like he was about to collapse from the heartache she had caused him. She had not known of his crush and there for could not possibly know how much it would’ve meant to him if she’d just gone out to coffee with him. Hearing a deep and most depressing sigh from her brother’s room Chantal went to check on Zach who was sitting on the floor of his room leaning against his bed and staring blankly at a Smashing Pumpkins poster straight across from him. Chantal immediately knew something was wrong but also that it wasn’t all that serious. Zach had a habit of staring at that poster when he was disappointed about something.
“So, what’s it this time?” She asked him as she sat down on the bed. Her voice had a hint of frustration as she had been in this situation too many times before.
“Oh, nothing…” He muttered a response that caused her to groan in utter frustration.
“It’s never "nothing" when you stare at that particular poster. Now spill it!” She demanded. This demanding side of his sister caused Zach to fear her a bit when she was in this mood.
“Oh, fine but don’t laugh.” Zach grunted and continued only after Chantal had nodded a promise to him. ”It’s just that Matthew always gets all the girls I want.”
Chantal knew she shouldn’t have asked him to pour his heart out. She had listened to him whine about Matthew always getting the girl too many times. She could guess who he was talking about but thought to make sure. After all if she was right about the girl she wouldn’t be a threat to her anymore.
“You know very well it’s Kathy. She’s just so lovely and sweet.” Zach sighed like a fool in love.
“Oh, she is. Is she? Well if she can’t see how great you are then to hell with her!” Chantal consoled her brother though she felt giddy inside that Kathy wasn’t after Dean like she was sure she’d be. Both siblings looked up as Kathy knocked on the open door. She seemed very upset about having made Zach feel sad. Chantal got up to leave them in peace as she sensed there was something Kathy needed to say to Zach in private. She gave one more glance to Zach before leaving.
“Zach. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. But I’m not gonna lie to you either. I’d like for us to be friends and nothing more.” Kathy said kneeling down beside Zach who tried hard to look away from her to hide the tears forming in his eyes. He had always been very sensitive.
“Zach, please look at me and tell me all is fine.” Kathy demanded gently taking her hand to his chin to turn his gaze to her. Without resisting he let her turn his head and pushed up his glasses that had fallen along his nose. She gave him a look to search him for reassurance. He sniffed a bit and nodded.
“I guess I could live with that.” He said trying to smile though inside he was aching for her to love him like he loved her. Well, if you can call a school boy crush love. Kathy felt relieved and locked Zach in a hug who after a second of confusion hugged her back. He felt happiness overtake him as a plan started to form in his head on how to get her to love him back. He’d be the perfect friend to her who she’d end up loving. Little did he know of the fickleness of a crush.