Everyone Has A Purpose, What's Yours?

Pleading

"I can't believe I'm about to do this."
"Go on you'll be fine."
"I've never met your mum. I have to go in and say that her son who is half dead wants another funeral for his grandmother."
Gerard grinned at the exasperated girl in front of him, "Yup."
"This just isn't going to work. She's not going to believe me."
"Well you don't know that until you've tried." He pushed Tabby up to the front door and made her ring the bell. The door opened to reveal a middle-aged woman who looked tired and worn. There were dark circles around her eyes showing she had had little sleep recently and there was an air of absolute devastation around her, "I don't want cheap pens, I don't sell drugs, I'm not in the mood for charities and I won't buy your pitch." She said, her voice weak and wretched. It broke Gerard's heart to see his mother in the state she was in, "Say something." He mumbled.
"Oh, um, Mrs Way. You don't know me. I don't really know how to put this. Your son, Gerard, he's in trouble. I know you know that but there's more to it than what you think." The woman stared at the girl, "You have thirty seconds."
"Ok, Gerard. He's here next to me now, as a spirit." His mother looked at her sceptically, she pressed on, "To get back to his body, he has to fulfil something before his body gives up. And since he wasn't present at his grandmother's funeral, we thought that was what would do the trick, as it were."
The worn woman closed her eyes, "Please, just leave. I can't take this sort of joke. Please, just leave me alone." She started to close the door on Tabby and Gerard, "Argh tell her something about me!" Gerard said desperately.
"Like what?!"
"Um I don’t know my mind's gone blank!"
"Well unblank it so I can prove you're here and that I'm not some raving maniac!"
"Argh ok tell her, don't bloody laugh, tell her I gave her a mug that said "Best Mum Ever" for mother's day when I was 8."
"Um ok." Tabby put her foot in between the door and the doorframe causing Gerard's mother to open it again, her eyes blazing with anger. But before she could retort Tabby blurted out what Gerard had told her to say, "How do you know that?" Tabby looked into the older woman's eyes, pleading her to believe her story. The woman sighed, "You better come in."