Status: Complete.

Picture Perfect

The Party

As Melanie and I awaited the arrival of the guests, we consumed some goodness of chips, Old Dutch’s Creamy Dill, my favorite. Unfortunately, the first guest arrived when we still had chips in our mouths, how embarrassing!

The first guests were Kristie Wells and Kerrington Sinclair, Kristie’s “bestie”. Kristie and Kerrington are the two most popular girls at school. The only reason they’re here at this party is because they’re friends with Melanie, and Mel’s friends with absolutely everyone, that’s the type of girl she is. By extension, I guess I’m also friends with the two girls. However, they’ll only hang out with me if Mel is there too, which is just fine by me.

Next to arrive was everyone else in school, whose names are definitely not important, nor were the Barbies’. While everyone was mingling and discussing their summer plans, I kept looking for Mel’s brother, William. Where was he? Why wasn’t he at the party yet? Why did I care where he was? Perhaps he was in his room getting ready still, he took longer than a girl. That answered the first two questions I had, but what about the third one? I could not answer that question, perhaps I could at a later time.

After a while of everyone eating and talking, Melanie announced that we were going to play “7 minutes in heaven”. I, along with some others, groaned. How did I know we were going to have to play this stupid game? Oh, wait, I know the answer to that question. I know my best friend very well, perhaps too well. I knew I could not get myself out of this predicament.

“Gentlemen,” Mel shouted and everyone laughed, “put your names into this hat I’m going to pass around.”

“Then, ladies,” someone mocked, “you are going to pick a name from the hat, and you will then go into the closet for seven minutes.”

Everyone, including Melanie, looked for the source of the voice. My eyes stopped on the stairwell. He had blonde “spiky” hair and emerald green eyes. I recognized the eyes immediately — it was William. He must have dyed his hair, or something, even Melanie gasped at the sight of her brother. Of course, all female eyes were on William — due to his good looks and charm — as he descended the staircase.

“Better give me the top hat first, considering I’m the one who located it in the first place,” William told his sister. The eyes of every girl went from William to Melanie and back again. Everyone was confused as to whom this attractive male was, and why he was talking only to Melanie. Was I the only one who recognized him?

“People of the party, this,” she pointed at her brother, “is my older brother, William. I’m sure most of you know him from school. I guess he dyed his hair, so it is not your fault you don’t know who this retard is.”

“Hey, Mel, I resent that!”

“Of course you would,” I muttered. “You’re not as big of a retard as I thought.”

Getting to the party after a long, boring dialogue, the guys completed placing papers with their names into the hat. The hat then made its way to the first of the females of the species; Kerrington Sinclair, as it was. She put her hand into the hat, and pulled out a name. She looked at the name.

“Jerry,” she sighed. As soon as he heard his name, Jerry started jumping up like a retarded moron. More retarded then Mel and I believed William to be. How is that possible?

Most of the male names had been called, due to the fact that most of the girls had had their turn. It looked as though there was one extra female, considering those who had their turn were all sitting out, watching the proceedings of the game, or making out with their partner. Needless to say, Kerrington avoided her partner at all costs. Not shocking at all, Jerry wasn’t exactly Mister Popular, nor was he Mister Cute, or anything more.

I hoped against all hope that the extra female who did not have to take a turn was me. My prayers were not answered, Melanie passed me the hat. I guess she’s the extra girl, maybe because her brother was taking part in the game, and that wouldn’t exactly be a good thing if they picked each other, and the rules said “no trades or go-agains”, no exceptions.

I placed my hand in the hat, and picked the first paper my hand touched, to get it all over with.

I looked at the name and sighed, “William.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Again, thanks for reading. Comments greatly appreciated, along with any feedback.
Thankfully, that chapter did not take long at all. The next will continue from there.
Thanks.

♥Taylor♥