‹ Prequel: Breaking Away

When Two Become One

Blood, Blood, Gallons of the Stuff

Those eyes. It felt like an eternity since I had drowned in those green pools. Now I would give anything for those orbs to be focused on me one more time. Grasping a pen from the stand next to the bed, I marked off another day on a piece of paper. Counting the marks, I came to find that I had a total of 23 days. Almost two weeks had gone by since that horrifying scene at our house, but it will haunt me for the rest of my life. When the doctor’s finished the operation, they told us that Zacky was shot in a safe place, but he lost an exponential amount of blood. They put him in an induced coma to stabilize him and let him heal properly. A date was never given to me for when he would be able to wake up. Zacky had a room to his own now because the nurses let me sleep in the vacant bed. They had stopped trying the first day we were here to get me to leave. I only leave the hospital to go to Matt’s house to take a shower. I can’t even stand to be in our house right now. Turning my head to look behind me, I saw one of the nurses come in and bring me a glass of water. I sent her a warm smile and let the cold liquid soothe my sore throat. With all the time I’ve spent here, I think I could honestly do the nurses jobs. I usually find myself checking all of his stats. Zacky’s heart rate was normal and his blood pressure was the same. Watching Zacky’s lifeless body, I felt as if tears would burst from my eyes again. My eyes became warm and my throat felt tight, the usual symptoms of crying. But no tears fell down my cheeks. I seriously think that I’ve dried up all of my tears. My tiny hand found its way to Zacky’s larger one. It was cold and clammy to the touch, which didn’t make me feel better about this situation. If Zacky saw me right now, I’m sure he would be pissed with me. My usually thick hair was thinning out due to the stress, dark circles made up my eyes from the lack of sleep, and my characteristically cheery demeanor was never around anymore. It was seriously like I could hear is voice in my head right now.

“Sierra, don’t cry for me. I’ll be ok. You’ll be with me again in due time, sweetheart. I love you.”

“Zacky, I miss you so much that it’s killing me. I love you.” I whispered to the man who couldn’t respond to my cries.

A warm hand made contact with my shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze. Pointing my head upward, I gazed into the hazel eyes that matched my own. Matt had been here almost as much as I had. Everyone in the group was always here, but it seemed that Matt and I had made this place a second residence. Matt pulled a chair up next to mine and studied me.

“At least you’ve stopped crying when he talks to you.” He said quietly.

I gave him a light slap as I smirked at him. God forbid that I tell Matt about how Zacky’s voice drills into my head and I never get to hear the end of it. He was right though. When I first began to hear his voice in my mind I would go crazy and never stop crying. I have now gotten to the point where I would sometimes talk back to him and actually hold a conversation with Zacky. I know it’s all in my head, but it could be the only thing that is keeping me going. Actually, he was one of two things that have kept me going. I rubbed the small, but still noticeable, bump that was my stomach. I was only about four months pregnant at this point. A few days after Zacky and been admitted into the ICU, the guys calmed down enough and started asking me questions. Leave it to men to ask why I was so fat. The girls finally told them that I was expecting a child and the guys threw in their support. The news of a new baby in the midst was the only happy thing to have surfaced for any of us. Gazing at Zacky’s face, I studied the blank emotion he wore. It was if he was sound asleep. His eyes began to twitch and I smiled to myself. Zacky had been doing that for a couple of days know, so I knew not to think much of it. The doctors said it was normal for coma patients to show signs of waking up, such as random twitches.

Wake up Zacky. Wake up for your baby and me

The sound of a door swinging open disturbed my internal pleas. I knew it was Jimmy and Brian from the sounds of their voices breaking the silence.

“Is he awake yet? Does he need more blood?” Jimmy asked feverishly.

I turned around to respond but stopped when I caught sight of my two friends. Brian and Jimmy were both unnaturally pale and appeared as if they would faint any moment. I didn’t need to ask what they had been up to today because I already knew.

“Guys, how many blood drives did you hit up today?”

“Three, this time we got special pins. See?”

I nodded at Brian and shook my head with laughter. Everyone’s blood was tested to see what his or her type was. Jimmy and Brian just happened to be the only ones who could give blood to Zacky. So, to show their support, they went around to all the area blood drives and gave blood. I appreciated their concern, but it was getting to an unhealthy point.

“Zacky will be fine. Thanks for all of the red gold, but keep it in your veins for a while, ok?”

“Ok Sierra, no more bleeding for us.” Jimmy agreed gladly.

My attention was focused on Zacky once again as the two found a seat. Watching the heart monitor, I was stunned to see and hear Zacky flat line. I started shaking uncontrollably as the constant drone of the alarm continued. The guys jumped up and ran to go get a doctor. My hands went to Zacky’s face and held it.

“No baby, don’t you die on me! Someone fucking get in here now! Zacky, hold on please, I don’t know what I would do without you.” I cried as I stroked his cheek.

Matt returned with the doctor and a fleet of nurses right behind him. They forced me out of the way so they could work on Zacky. Three pairs of arms grabbed me and kept me somewhat controlled as the constant buzzing drove me crazy.

“Dear God, Doctor, look at this!”
♠ ♠ ♠
as i promised, here is the sequal!
yes, horrible spot to end, but i wanted a bit of a cliffhanger

enjoy lovlies!!