‹ Prequel: Breaking Away

When Two Become One

Good Luck

Sunshine fell down upon Zacky and me as we approached the doors of the hospital. He was really excited about finding out the sex of the baby and today was the day that would end his torment. A quiet whiz filled the foyer and the doors slid open for us. We read the directory carefully and followed the hallways until we made it to the OBGYN area of the hospital.

"Hello, I have an appointment with Dr. Michaels." I informed the receptionist.

"Name please?" she asked.

"Sanders. Sierra Sanders."

"Well, Ms. Sanders, the doctor will be with you in a moment." the lady said with a smile. "Please take a seat and read one of our pamphlets."

I pushed the wheelchair over to a corner and sat it next to a single chair. My right leg swung over the left and began bobbing nervously. Obviously sensing my nerves Zacky took my hand is his and started to run his thumb over my knuckles.

"What's the matter Sierra?" he questioned.

"Zacky, what if there is something wrong with the baby? Do you think I ate anything I wasn't suppose to? I don't think that I could ever forgive myself if something happened to our child." I spat out a little too fast for Zacky's taste.

"Whoa, calm down babe. You have taken every precaution for the baby. You don't drink, you stay away from smokers, and you've been careful to not over exert yourself. We have nothing to worry about."

He smiled as he saw me cool down and placed a kiss on the back of my hand. I would be lost without Zacky. We sat in silence as he continued to trace the indentations of my fingers. Looking around the waiting room, I watched the few other women that were there. The one that caught my interest was a fairly young girl, hardly 21 yet. She sat alone and stared at a tiny stain on the carpet. A tiny bump could be seen through her shirt even though she tried to hide it with her arms. I assumed that she was virtually alone in the world. The being in her a product of a one night stand. No friend was with her, nobody. Her grey eyes were slightly bloodshot, as if she had been crying the whole night. My heart went out to her during this time. Being pregnant and alone wasn't the best combination. At the other end of the room was the polar opposite. A man and woman sat there giving each other encouraging smiles as they sat together on the only available love seat. On her left ring finger was a diamond ring, which she made sure everyone was aware of. They were obviously newlyweds expecting a child that was probably conceived on their honeymoon in Fiji or some other tropical paradise. Zacky and I filled the middle of the pregnancy spectrum in the room. A boyfriend knocks up his girlfriend. Our situation didn't sound so cold though. We were just caught with our pants down, literally. I felt that we shared the most love in the room. Marriage had been on my mind a lot lately. Whenever we went out of the house I seemed to notice every married couple near us. I knew that Zacky was the only man for me, but I was traditional in the sense that he had to propose to me. Until that day came, I'll wait patiently.

"Sierra Sanders, Dr. Michaels will see you now." the receptionist announced.

I shakily stood up from my chair and grabbed onto the handles of Zacky's wheelchair. Had his chair not have been there right now, I would have collapsed on the floor in a mess. A nurse ushered us into an examination room where she had me get on the bed. She gave us a warm smile as she exited the room to fetch the doctor.

"Sweetheart, nothing is going to happen. We're just here to see our healthy baby and find out the gender. Did you want to get some pictures for everyone?" he asked trying to get my mind under control.

"Sure, we can get some for my dad, the guys, the girls, and..." I paused.

"And what?" he questioned.

"Zacky, we've been dating for around six months now and I've never met your parents. That's terrible!" I cried.

"It's not terrible. Sure, I guess I should have introduced you sooner, but look at it this way. You're giving them their first grandchild so they will absolutely love you. Oh, another added bonus for you, they hated Ashley with a passion and you are nothing like her." he laughed.

Our laughter was cut off by the sounds of an opening door. Dr. Michaels was a very petite woman, standing only 5'2''. Her strawberry blonde hair was pulled back into a loose bun. I placed her age around the mid thirties, meaning that she had experience in her field of work.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Michaels and how are we doing today?"

"Great now that we can see our child." Zacky beamed.

"Well then, lets get this show on the road. Sierra, I'm going to ask that you lift your shirt up and expose your abdomen please."

The shirt was rolled up, exposing my protruding belly to the doctor. She began to massage gel into my skin so that she could properly use the ultrasound on me. A few minutes later and she began to run the device over my stomach.

"Hmm...ok, and here we are. Mr. Baker and Ms. Sanders, if you look on the screen right now, you can see the heartbeat of your child."

Tears threatened to flood my vision as I gazed up at the screen. The baby already had defined limbs and it's facial features were starting to show. Zacky squeezed my hands, which brought me to look at him. Little trickles were coming from the corner of his eyes. He smiled at me and let out a huge sniffle, causing me to laugh. Dr. Michaels continued to scan my belly when she quickly paused around the area where my appendix would be.

"This is unexpected. I just found another heartbeat. Congratulations, you're having twins." she smiled widely at us.

I couldn't hold in my joy any longer. One loud sob exited my mouth as I lost the ability to control myself. I was going to be a mother to twins. This was amazing.

"What are we looking at Doc? Two girls, two boys, or one of each?" Zacky asked excitedly.

"All I can say is good luck raising two boys."
♠ ♠ ♠
i hope this chapter makes up for the last one, i didnt like that one too much

i love all the comments, keep em up!!