‹ Prequel: Breaking Away

When Two Become One

A Day of Surprises

“Hey sweet cheeks, do you have the burgers ready? These guys are starving.” Zacky yelled at me from the patio.

I cringed as he shouted out his pet name for me. “I’m bringing them out now, and stop calling me that.”

Walking out onto the deck I gave Matt the platter of meat so that he could begin grilling. We took advantage of the nice weather and invited the guys and girls over for a cook out. It was just the beginning of October and the fall weather hadn’t quite set in yet. Today was the day that we would share our news with them. Zacky and I had been practicing our act all day. There was a lot of good news for us to share. Hopefully it wouldn’t be too overwhelming for our friends.

It was just Zacky, Matt, and me on the deck as everyone else was playing volleyball in the yard. I watched in amusement as Jimmy spiked the ball in Johnny’s face, sending him to the ground.

“James Owen,” Leana yelled, “behave yourself.”

Leaning up against the railing I continued to laugh at the antics of my best friends. I let out a squeak as I suddenly fell backwards into Zacky’s lap as he wheeled up behind me. His hands took their usual place on my belly as he began to draw patterns on it.

“The guys are going to be so surprised when we tell them.” he whispered into my ear.

“I know, I’m dying to tell them.” I responded.

Zacky placed a passionate kiss on my lips. Pulling away he stared deeply into my eyes and let them speak the words he couldn’t find. I found all the love he had for me in those jade pools.

“Eww, Baker, I don’t want to see how my niece or nephew came to be.” my brother Scott called from the volleyball court.

“Fine, then you have to keep your hands of Liz.” I challenged.

“Can’t promise that.” he smirked sending Liz a wink.

Sometime during the Zacky’s stay in the hospital, Liz and my brother hit it off and started seeing each other. I was so happy for both of them because it had been a while since either had been in a relationship.

“Well I can’t promise that I’ll keep in rated PG with your sister, since we live in sin almost everyday.” Zacky said as he licked my cheek.

I shrieked as his fleshy tongue glided over my cheek again. Zacky’s neck became warm and inviting for me as I nuzzled into his neck. One of the surprises that would be revealed tonight also reminded me of something that I needed to talk to Zacky about.

“Babe, remember that we have to kick them out before we get tired.” I winked.

“Well, I could always tell them to take a hike right now.” he smiled.

“No, you can’t do that. I’m just bursting to tell them!” I giggled.

“Hey fuckers, the burgers are ready!” Matt bellowed from behind us.

“Sierra, you won’t have long to wait now do you?”

I walked over to Matt and helped him plate the food for everyone. After Jimmy’s tenth burger I finally took my place and waited for Zacky to begin our little show.

“Aren’t you going to eat Sierra? Here, let me fix you a plate.” Matt offered.

He placed a plate fixed with a burger, potato salad, and some fruit. Zacky got offended and told Matt that he was being stingy, so Matt gave me another burger. He still scoffed at Matt so my cousin put one more burger on my plate as I tried not to laugh.

“Is that enough fucking food Zacky? Are you trying to clog her arteries?” Matt asked.

“Hey, I have to make sure that she’s getting enough food since she’s eating for three now.” he announced.

All around me silverware clattered to people’s plates. The girls issued one collective gasp but everything was silent. My lips parted in a bright smile as I looked around the patio. Everyone’s eyes seemed to be on my belly now. Instantly, it was like a bomb went off in our backyard. I was immediately swarmed by the girls and Zacky was bombarded with “guy hugs”. Eventually, everything settled back down and the mood was definitely lighter, but we weren’t done yet.

“We have more to tell you guys. Since we are having twin boys we really wanted the names to mean a lot to us and to everyone else. Now, according to the deal that we had, Zacky got to pick the names out.” I said.

“Come on Baker, what did you chose?” Val asked eagerly.

Zacky laughed with delight. “Ok, so, I really wanted to name my sons after people who have always been there for me. You guys better treat Matthew Brian and James Jonathon like your own.”

Nothing made me happier to see the four guys speechless. They were really in shock to see that we had decided to name our boys after them.

“Are you serious guys? You’re really going to name your children after us?” Brian questioned.

“Of course we are. You guys mean the world to Zacky and me. We wouldn’t have it any other way.” I told the guys. “Also, since we’re on the topic, Scott and Liz we would like you to be the godparents of James. Matthew, well it’s obvious who we want.”

Zacky and I gazed at Matt and Val, who was sitting in his lap. They both began looking around them to see if anyone was behind them. Val realized that we were in fact mentioning them and starting hitting Matt, who tried to protect himself.

“Oh my God Matthew! Did you hear that? We’re going to be godparents!” She shouted with joy.

“Yes, Val, I did! Now stop hitting me.” he whined.

“Well boys,” Zacky said while clapping his hands together, “this calls for some drinks to celebrate. I’ll be right back.”

He stood up from his wheelchair and grabbed the cooler and brought it out into the middle of the group. I watched as he strode proudly over to me and stood behind my chair as he placed a kiss on the top of my head. Yeah, we also kept Zacky’s walking a secret as well.

“Seriously, are you guys done fucking with us?” Kourt screamed. “Poor Johnny can’t take much more of this surprise shit.”

“Yes, we are done for the day.” I smiled.

“Thank God because I’m not sure how much more I could take.” Jimmy said while feigning ill.

Conversations we’re started up again and I was quickly pulled up from my seat. Being turned around I came face to face with Zacky.

“Ok, so I have one more thing to do before this party can continue.” Zacky whispered, but loud enough for everyone to still hear.

The breath I was trying to take was hidden somewhere in my body as I watched the man I loved get down on one knee. My hands shot to my mouth so that I could attempt to stifle the huge sob that was threatening to erupt.

“Sierra, I love you so much. I made a promise to Matt that I would never make you cry, but sorry bro, it’s too late.” Zacky said.

My tears were falling in thick streams down my face and they grew more rapid as I saw his green eyes begin to water as well.

“I also told myself that I would be there forever to catch you when you fell and to always protect you and I intend to remain faithful in everything that I do. Sierra Sanders, will you marry me.” he spoke softly.

A black velvet box emerged from his pocket to reveal a stunning canary diamond on a platinum band. The sob that had been building broke free as I cried out in happiness. My knees grew weak and I fell down to Zacky’s level. All I could do was nod my head vigorously and hug my now fiance. I felt the cold metal of the ring as he slipped it on my finger. Through my tears I looked into his eyes and saw that he was crying as hard as I was now.

“You have just made me the happiest man on earth.” he said before his slammed his lips on mine.

Everyone on the deck stood up and starting cheering. I let my tongue graze his bottom lip and he let me enter immediately. His fingers ran through my hair and quickly became tangled. God only knows how far we would have gotten had someone not coughed to get our attention. The last bead of wetness that was on the verge of cascading down my cheek was wiped away by Zacky’s thumb.

“I love you so much Zachary Baker.”

“I love you too. Sierra Baker, that has a nice ring to it.” he laughed.

“It’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever heard.”
♠ ♠ ♠
this chapter is ripe for comment-giving!
so give it too me! he he :]