Princess, Crown Not Included

There are three things a Pharaoh needs in life. A peaceful kingdom, a harmonious court and a princess by his side. Everything else, the riches, the fine clothes, they can come or go. But those three things are the foundations of a Pharaoh.

Unfortunately, Atem has none of them.

For one thing, the peace issue is under serious threat- Egypt's closest ally, Libya, is on the verge of declaring war, and a crazed murderer is on the loose in the city.

Secondly, his court seems to find it impossible to go one day without some kind of dispute. Whether it be over something important, like The Libya Problem, or the most trivial of matters, as small as Karim and Mahaado arguing over whether the winning move in the last gane of sennet was legal, The one in the middle always seems to be Atem, sighing in annoyance and trying desperately to keep everything together.

And then there's the problem of the princess.

The only girl Atem has ever had eyes for is Astarte, a temple maiden in the service of Hathor. But a temple maiden isn't exactly a princess, no matter how many sleepless nights she causes Atem. Not in the way he wants to be kept awake, but hey, one cannot have everything.

Of course, if a certain someone has his way, Atem is going to be left with nothing.