Princess, Crown Not Included

The Thing You Love Most

I couldn't get her off my mind. Everywhere I looked, there was something that reminded me of her. Bronze reminded me of her skin, obsidian made me think about her hair, gold brought back memories of my gift... I groaned aloud in frustration, earning some funny looks from the guards. A few games of sennet did nothing to help relieve the frustrated atmosphere that was pulsating in the room. It was too hot. I went and changed into a cooler set of clothes. Now it was too cold. I changed back. I considered going down the Nile in the barge, but then decided aganist it: it took nearly an hour to prepare the damned thing, and by then I'd have decided to do something else.

Ra damn the woman: I was the Pharaoh! How could she reduce me to such a mess with one swish of her hair?! I twisted my own through my fingers inlovelorn annoyance and dully registered that it was nearly sunset. I turned round and "informed" the guards they could go home(as in, bodily forced them out of the door). After a few more funny looks, and the voicing of some concerns that I would be alone, I finally pursuaded them to get out and leave me in peace.

Alone was just what I needed right now.

After exausting every possible option that anyone could have when both bored and alone, I gave up and collapsed on the bed. Maybe a sleep would get rid of a few hours.

I jerked up from my lying position: something, I didn't know what, had woken me. Looking across the room, I saw a slim figure, their back to me, at my window, the night breeze lifting black strands of hair and waving them around like living tendrils. A glimmer of gold on one wrist told me who it was- Astarte. I swung my legs over the side of the bed and made my way over to her, reaching out a hand to touch her shoulder. The second my fingertips made contact, her legs crumpled beneath her. I tried to catch her, but her fall was too fast. She hit the floor, emerald eyes staring glassily at the ceiling. I heard a low, evil snigger from above me, and a shadow moved on the other side of the curtains separating the balcony from the rest of the room: a human silhouette, one arm raised and a dagger held in the raised hand. I forced myself away from Astarte's lifeless form, and ran as fast as I could down a side corridor, which had never been there before. The floor suddenly became uneven, dipping one second and rising steeply the next. I stumbled, and felt the ground give way to a black abyss. I pluged through it, voices surrounding me: Astarte's voice, scared and thin from screaming, Femii's worried tones fighting with Seto's smug berations, and another voice I hadn't heard before, as clear as if the speaker were right next to me.

"No use running, Atem... I'll get you eventually...The thing you love most..."

"Who are you?!" I screamed as my hands scrambled for a purchase they wouldn't find, the words tearing my throat. "What do you want?! Why is Astarte dead?!"

A sinister chuckle filled the air. "All in good time, Pharaoh..." The voices faded, as I felt myself falling, terror filling me. "All in good time..." I knew the ground was rushing up to meet me...


My eyes flew open, and I forced myself to a sitting position. A cold sweat glued the thin linen sheets to my skin. Pulling them away from myself, I half-jumped out of bed and ran to the window, half expecting to see the same crumpled form I had in the nightmare. But the balcony was empty.

Pulling back the curtains, I closed my eyes as the cool night air rippled round me, brushing away the cobwebs of sleep. My forearms resting on the wall of the balcony, I half-leant over the edge and stared out to the horizon, not yet tinted wth the glow of sunrise. I couldn't figure out the dream. "The thing you love most..." - what would that mean? Whose was the sinister voice? And how had Femii found her way into my head?! That was the most puzzling thing...

On impulse, I turned back into the room, pulled the sheets off the bed and a few spare ones from the chest against the end of the bed, dragged them out and piled them up against the wall. When I was satisfied with the effort, I flumped down onto the pile, staring up at the stars. My thoughts drifted till eventually, I lost track of them: from the dream, to Astarte, to how the stars reminded me of her eyes, to why some people had green eyes and some had brown...

I suddenly realised how heavy my eyelids were. I tried to keep them open, not wanting to fall back into the nightmare, but eventually I dozed fitfully, haunted by disembodied voices and tunnels without ends. And, for some reason, frogs.
♠ ♠ ♠
yaay update... im getting better at this update lark, arent i? *grins proudly* sorry if it sucks as usual, you love me anyway.

ive been wanting to get a dream squence in here for ages... yaay for fulfilled wishes!!! yeah im easily amused, so sue me. not that youd get much out of it but you know...

love as always to Ryou, novellababe, Neon. (even though ive had no comment off her for almost three chapters... grr lol) and the newest addition, ThePassionateOne. Who from now on will be known as Katt, since I'm too lazy to write her full screenname out.

comments/feedback = hugs and cookies