Forest View

Millins Ward

"Sierra?"
She raised her head. It was Mikey.
"What the hell are you doing here?" he demanded.
"I refused to eat and threw a plate at Luke," she answered, "And I bit him...Twice."
"They can put you on Millins ward for that?"
"Apparently."
She looked away to take the medication a nurse was handing her. Her paper gown crinkled as she tilted her head back and downed the pills like a shot. Mikey watched, appalled that she had acted out, especially against Luke.
He took his meds and they walked together, talking about what they had done to end up on a maximum security ward in a mental home. As they approached their rooms, they past others. There were no doors, no windows, no beds - Nothing, except concrete walls and a concrete slab to sleep on.
Sierra saw a girl sitting on her "bed". She was as thin as a skeleton and she had nearly no hair. Her face wasn't full of color and life as a teen's should be, but frail and tired, and as rough as a piece of sand paper.
She shuddered and erased the image from her mind. Then she and Mikey parted ways and she entered her own room. It was cold. All she had was the paper gown they had given her to wear, which doesn't do much for warmth.
The first few days, she cried. She felt sorry for herself and refused to eat or drink anything. If they thought she had been crazy on the Jennings ward, they had another thing coming on Millins.
Eventually, she started to refuse taking her meds. Instead of pills they gave her shots. She cussed and screamed and fought with all her might, but she still got medicated.
Three months passed, and barely ten meals were eaten. She weighed seventy-eight pounds when they threatened to transfer her to Ocean Crest. It was then that the image of the the skeleton girl came back to her.
She had become the one that made her whole body cringe.
"Lunch," a nurse called from her doorway.
Sierra sat up.
"Are you going to eat?" she asked.
She nodded. The nurse blinked and brought her a tray of spaghetti and meatballs, accompanied by a foam cup full of water. Sierra ate it all, drank it all, and licked her fingers when she finished.
She did not want to be a skeleton, starving herself to death. She didn't want to end up like Kaila, either.
She wanted to get better.