Status: Slowly working on an update. Working on Supernatural one-shots, so look out for them.

Winters Storm.

Chapter Six

“Sorry sir, no way though. This is a sealed crime scene.” A police officer said, stopping the brothers from passing through, although the luminous yellow crime scene tape was also in their way.

“But I’ve got a room and…”

“Like I said kid, I’ve got a crime scene with no one getting past without official clearance.”

“Well, just as -”

“Sorry, We’ll book into another hotel.” Sam said quickly stopping Dean from whipping out the FBI badge and showing it to the cop, “But, what’s exactly happened?”

“Murder.” The cop said, “Dee, y’know. The owners daughter and her boyfriend.”

“Oh God that’s terrible! We met her as well! Are they like the Blakewood-Connor murders?”

“I’m not able to say.” The cop said and have Sam a look of dismay before turning away. Sam ushered Dean away from the motel back to the Impala where it was safe to talk.

“I can’t believe it.” Sam said to his brother after shutting the car door shut, a sound that echoed in the chilling night air.

“I know! Tossing us out of the hotel, and that bed was freakin’ comfy!” Sam rolled his eyes, his brother could be so dim and careless at times.

“Yeah, I mean it was only a murder. No reason to kick us out.” Sam said sarcastically, “That’s out of order. But hey, did you notice that the murder is linked to the one we’ve been investigating?”

“Of course I noticed, I’m not an idiot. And quit trying to be a cool kid with the attitude, I’m the cool one with the attitude, your trusty geek boy who looks out for vacancy signs and makes me look pretty.” Dean said, the Impala cruising down the street at a speed, the small puddles being sprayed in droplets as the wheels broke them apart. They found a remotely cheap hotel, just off the outskirts of the town, and within fifteen minutes of checking in, Dean was sprawled out on one of the single beds trying to get to sleep and Sam was furiously hitting the keys on the laptop.

“Dude!” Dean snapped impatiently, sitting up and glaring at Sam from the other end of the room. “its 3am, and I’m trying to sleep in this bed, which the mattress has been filled with something that could be mistaken for concrete, but I can‘t sleep because of you typing…”

“Dean, two people just got murdered! Whatever we’re hunting is still out there.”

“And they’ll still be dead in the morning! Can’t we deal with it then?” Sam shot a look of disbelief to his brother, but reluctantly closed the laptop down. It was getting late, and Dean was always cranky in the morning without a goods night sleep no matter how many coffees he consumed the next day.

*

“I’ve found another book that might interest you,” a female voice echoed through the empty library Sam Winchester sat at, and he looked up to see the young librarian Lindsay, as her name tag read, he met this morning. He smiled up at her, and took the heavy leather-bound book she held. He was thankful she was working that morning and not the old woman from a few days ago as Lindsay was happy enough to help him look for the books he needed on the history of the town, without asking any awkward questions he didn‘t have answers for.

“Thank you, Lindsay.” Sam said gratefully as she looked relived to be free of the weight of the book. She smiled at him, and then her attention turned to the door opening, a tall girl with short brown hair was now walking up to them, waving at Lindsay.

“Oh its no problem Sam, if you need anything else don’t hesitate to ask. I’ll just be over there with Ella.” She said, pointing over to where a few couches were placed for people to read at. Sam nodded, and then started looking in the book she brought over whilst she went to see ‘Ella’ as she had called the girl who was now in the empty library with them. About ten minutes later, Sam’s concentration was lacking, yet his motivation was still at a high level. Sighing, he tossed another book beside him, and started turning the flimsy pages, wondering if Dean was getting more information from the morgue than he was. Looking up, he sat listening to what Lindsay and Ella were saying as a way of giving himself a break for a couple of minutes.

“So, where’s Robin taking you today? Isn’t it your one year anniversary on Monday?” Lindsay said, and Ella nodded before taking a sip from the Starbucks paper cup she held, the steam riding up to the ceiling.

“Well, we’re going for a meal at that new Italian, then we’re going to go for a walk and stuff.” Ella said, “He said he saw this really nice place by the river, and you can see the sunset really clearly, so I think we’ll go there probably.”

“Aww, sounds cute. Did you hear that Nathan was dating Cady Thacker behind Dee’s back?” Lindsay asked, shooting a look over at Sam, causing him to crouch back over one of the books she had given him.

“I hadn’t heard that. I always thought he’d cheat. Poor Dee, she was such a nice girl as well.” Ella said, “Kind of ironic when you think about what happened to Alec and Nadia. Nadia was always flirting and making out with random guys when she went out ‘on the town’ and Alec was obsessed with his ex-girlfriend. Apparently he’d been trying to get back with her.” What Ella had just said flicked a light switch in Sam’s head, about what Erin said about Alec and Nadia, and how Dee and Nathan were murdered in the same, vicious way. The murders weren’t the only common element, but also the fact that one, or both, of the couples were unfaithful in the relationship.

Almost knocking the chair over in his rush, Sam pulled out his phone from his pocket and once he was standing outside the library, he dialled Dean’s number, and his brother picked up instantly after once ring.

“I was just about to ring you as well dude, I found some interesting stuff about the case off a very attractive barmaid.” Dean said.

“Oh yeah, what did she say?” Sam asked his brother as he leaned against the wall of the library, the wind rushing against his skin, causing goose bumps to rise.

“That she wanted to ride me like a…”

“Dean!” Sam cut in sharply, “I want to keep my appetite. What did she say about the case?”

“That Happy couple to be murdered number one and happy couple to be murdered number two all went to the same place the day they got murdered.” Dean said sounding smug, and Sam heard the rip of a packet open, probably peanut M&Ms knowing his brother.

“The river behind the garage?” Sam asked and Dean mumbled a positive reply through a full mouth. “So its something that happened there, to trig the murders.”

“But, whatever it is, how is it picking the victims?” Dean asked, his voice still muffled.

“I think I know. I was in the library and these girls were discussing the murders,” Sam said, ignoring his brothers question of ‘Are they hot?’ “They said that Nathan was cheating on Dee, and Alec had been trying to get back with his ex girlfriend, leaving Nadia to get drunk and have fun with every guy at the bar.”

“She sounds like a handful.” Dean said, “So its something to do with the woods, and it targets couples attending too many pants parties. Vengeful spirit maybe?”

“Could be. We’d have to research if there was any murders or any weird goings on there. And that’s gonna be hard.” Sam said, “I’ll go start in the library. Meet me here?”

“Sure,” Dean said, and began walking in the direction of the library, “See you soon.” he said and hung up. He soon reached the library, and when he entered he building two girls instantly jumped up when they heard the door close behind him. Dean grinned as they walked over smiling like a small child. The usual reaction to Dean Winchester.

“Hey, how can we help you?” One of the girls asked, she was the only one out of the two to have a name badge, which read ‘Lindsay.’

“I’m okay, thank you Lindsay. I’m here to meet the big bookworm over there.” He said, and pointed at Sam. They muttered an ‘oh’ under their breath before Dean walked over to his brother.

“I’m gonna come the library more often.” Dean said grinning as he sat down next to Sam, “Its like, unmarked territory for hotties.”

“Focus, Dean. Come on.” Sam said, and pushed a book in front of Dean. “Read through that, it’s a record of all the deaths, disappearances and crimes from here.”

“Read?” Dean said, giving Sam a perplexed look, “Who do you think I am?”

“Fine, skim through until something catches your eye.” Sam said, and started reading through one of the books for a while. The library was quiet apart from the muffled chatter of Lindsay and Ella, the few desperate sighs as a bid for freedom from Dean and the sound of the pages being turned.

“Well that’s interesting.” Dean said, grinning as he read the section that caught his eye.

“What?” Sam asked, and Dean pushed the book towards Sam, pointing at the section he had just read. “Woman slips in shower? Dean, can you try not to be distracted?”

“I said it was interesting, not something about the case.” Dean said, sulking slightly as Sam passed him back the book. They sat back in silence flicking through the books for another ten minutes until Sam broke the silence.

“I think I’ve found it,” Sam said quickly, and Dean looked from the book he was drooped over. “1968, The owner of the garage, Emmett Hale, mysteriously disappeared after finding out his wife was cheating on him with his best friend, and co-owner of the garage. Last seen in the woods by an unnamed witness.”

“You think we’re dealing with Casper Unfriendly-Loved-Up-Couple-Killer ghost?” Dean asked.

“it’s the only thing about the woods. And that’s a common place where the victims have been, and there has been the common element of being unfaithful. The body’s probably in the woods. So its worth a shot.”

“You think he’s gone missing in the woods, or even murdered? Dude have you seen how big those woods are? It’ll take forever to comb the woods for a body.”

“Salt and burn the bones should stop the spirit. But before that, I think we should have a word with his widow and her partner, Sarah and Jacoby Cooper.”