The Cloaked Samurai

The Children

"Almost enough!" Kioko smiled, putting another golden paper crane into the pile. "That makes nearly eight hundred!"

"You still have two hundred, fifty-seven cranes left to fold," your father said, making a mark on the paper. It was tradition for the bride and her family to make 1001 golden paper cranes before the wedding. It brought good luck and fertility. You silently added one of yours to the pile. The events of the previous night were still racing through your brain, making you feel sick inside. Everything was so wrong about it, but what if Prince Keiji was right? What if no one wanted to marry you? Your sister had always been the beautiful, perfect one. Perhaps your destiny was to become his concubine. Would your parents say no if he asked? Who could say no to a prince? He would ask; there was almost no doubt about it. Just thinking about spending your days in silent, hidden servitude to him made you want to die.

"Are you feeling well, dear? You look pale," your mother said, touching your face. You only nodded, your hands shaking as you tried to fold another crane from the golden squares of paper.

"Maybe she just needs some fresh air. The most we've been outside all week is walking from the carriage into the palace yesterday," Kioko pointed out.

"I was meaning to speak to you girls about that," your mother frowned. "I don't like how often you go outside."

"But Mama!" Kioko protested. "We always wear veils and have someone with us!"

"Still, it's improper for young ladies of your rank to leave the house so often," your mother insisted, smoothing a fold on her crane. She was right. Most girls of your rank or higher weren't allowed outside at all, supervised or not. Even so, the heavy veils and large-brimmed hats completely disguised your face. You doubted anyone would recognize you without them.

"I would like you girls to remain inside at all times from now on and wear veils when we have visitors," your mother finished. Kioko looked unhapy about it, but she agreed to the new rules. You only nodded again, knowing there were worse things in the world than isolation.

A visitor came that afternoon, in fact. The kimono maker had finally finished the top layer of Kioko's wedding kimono. It was an intricately woven silk of scarlets and golds and lined in white and black, cut to perfection to fit Kioko's form.

You felt even more separated from the world behind your veils, and the entire conversation between the kimono maker and your father seemed to be a distant dream, something you could only watch but not take part in.

You were excused from the room as your father made the final payments for the kimono. You walked more slowly than your sister, lingering in the hallways. You paused by a window, a portal to a world you could only imagine. A group of children was playing with a ball outside. Their joyful cheers and laughter brought a small smile to your face. Their innocence and happiness were so beautiful.

The ball rolled over to the window, and one little boy ran over to retrieve it. He looked up to see you gazing out the window. He grabbed the ball and returned to the other children.

"She's weird. Why is she hiding her face and staying inside?" he whispered loudly.

"Maybe she's shy. She looks lonely," one of the girls shrugged.

"Let's ask her to play with us," another boy suggested. He sprinted over to the window.

"Do you want to play?" he asked, looking up at you with bright, friendly eyes. You shook your head silently, knowing he was unable to see the sorrow in your eyes.

"Why not? It'll be fun!" a girl promised, joining him.

"Asa, Chika, come away from there," a familiar voice said. Farren walked into view, standing by the children.

"But why won't she play with us, teacher?" the boy, Asa, asked as they ran back to him.

"She's different from us," he answered softly, casting a small, untrusting glance in your direction. Something pierced your heart at Farren's words. Even he felt you were in an entirely different world, something that wasn't entirely real, a symbol for men of power to use.

"No, she's not. She's still a person," Chika shook her head.

"Yeah, and everyone wants to play sometimes," another added. "Why should she be any different?"

"She was born into a wealthy and powerful family," Farren tried to explain.

"But that's not fair!" Asa argued. "She didn't choose her parents!"

"It doesn't make any sense," a boy said.

"You're right, and I wish the world would agree with you," Farren sighed.

"Then we'll just convince them!" a girl said brightly. The rest of the children started talking at once.

"The world is stubborn, and they don't always see things the way we do," Farren smiled down at them. He looked up in your direction and seemed to be speaking to you. "We can learn so much from children."

There was silence for a few moments until one little boy finally said to you, "Are you sure you don't want to play with us?"

"Listen to your teacher. He is very wise," you replied in a soft voice, turning away from the window and stepping out of sight but not leaving just yet.

"I wish there was a way to help her," a child said.

"So do I," Farren admitted sadly. "So do I."

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

That evening, Maemi sought you out privately.

"Lady _____, I have received horrible news!" she whispered urgently.

"What is it?" you asked in a low voice, looking around to see if anyone was watching you.

"You must be very careful! I've heard the prince has been given a threatening letter," she continued.

"What did it say?" you pressed her for more information.

"I'm not sure of the exact words, but it warned the prince to stop terrorizing women. It also said that if he wasn't more fair to the peasants and less of a greedy ruler, his greatest treasure would pay the price. If improvements aren't carried out in the next week, there's sure to be trouble!" Maemi said, wringing her hands.

"Thank you, Maemi," you told her. You tried to think of what the letter meant. What was the prince's greatest treasure? His palace? An expensive statue? His life?

A sweet laugh pulled you from your thoughts. Beside you, Kioko was trying to conceal her giggles from something your papa had told her. It suddenly hit you, and you realized what the prince must treasure most of all. Kioko's life was now in danger.