The Cloaked Samurai

The Rival

As you woke up on Monday morning, you knew that it would be harder than ever to escape from your parents to get to the dojo. Even Maemi had taken their side.

"Please, my lady! It's too dangerous out there!" she warned as she helped transform you into a man.

"Relax. Only my family and the servants have ever seen my face. Besides, with this disguise, I'm completely different," you said, admiring your reflection.

"And the lessons are going well, my lady?"

"Yes. With each passing day, I feel more confident I can protect my family."

"Then, if I may say so, I hope you will discontinue these lessons as soon as possible."

"What? What do you mean by that?" you turned around and stared at her. She shrunk back, bracing herself for the punishment.

"Sorry! I only meant... I'm very sorry!" she bowed low, closing her eyes.

"Explain yourself!" you commanded.

"Surely, my lady, you will not attend these lessons forever. This is only a temporary housing for your honorable family, and I am afraid we will only be able to carry on this clever deceit for so long."

You hadn't considered this. When would you quit your lessons? You would be thankful to continue being a lady in a calm, peaceful life, but how could you say goodbye to Farren and Farrah?

"I will be leaving now," you changed the subject, carefully sliding open the door.

"Goodbye, my lady," Maemi bowed as you slipped outside.

You made it to the dojo in no time at all, trying to put the thought of your last lesson from your mind.

You were concentrating so hard on not thinking about leaving the dojo that you didn't notice the figure lurking in the shadows. A hand shot out and snagged your shirt, pulling you to the side of the dojo and out of sight. You looked up and saw the large man who had threatened you before.

"I-it's you!" you stuttered.

"Don't you know how to greet your elders?" he sneered, shaking you.

"I'm sorry, but I don't even know your name," you said.

"Goro," he barked. "And didn't I tell you to stop comin' around here?"

"Yes Goro, sir, but-"

"But what? You're a skinny little boy. You're couldn't fight to save yourself. Why bother trying?" he asked, pushing you into the wall.

"My reasons are not for you to know," you tried to stand up straight, but he was still several inches taller than you.

Goro narrowed his eyes. "Prove yourself then. I challenge you to a fight, tomorrow at noon by the river!"

You were backed into a corner. You couldn't just admit defeat, but how could you fight him?

"First one to surrender loses the match, or, as the case may be, first one to die," he sneered. You swallowed.

"Agreed," you found yourself saying.

"Good." Goro started to walk away, but he turned back around. "One more thing," he continued. "Bring a katana." He spat onto your face and finally left.

You wiped your cheek with the back of your hand. "What a nasty habit!" you muttered. The dojo was apparently empty. No one was in the lesson room, and the storage rooms were deserted as well. You felt bad snooping around the living quarters, but you needed to find Farren or Farrah.

"Teacher?" you called out, listening for any sign of people. You thought you heard a small sound from one of the rooms.

"Teacher?" you asked again. There was no reply. You carefully slid open the door and peeked inside. A large tub was in the center of the room and full of steaming water. Farrah was sitting in it, completely naked. You realized you had stumbled into the bath room. Both of your faces grew bright red.

"I'm very sorry!" you shouted, slamming the door closed as she let out a scream.

"That was awkward," you whispered, leaning against the wall. "Then again, it was probably more so for her."

"Farren went to the market. You can look for him there!" Farrah shouted through the door once she had recovered from the shock. You quickly left the dojo and reentered the marketplace. You soon found Farren purchasing some leeks.

"Akio!" he noticed you with a smile. "It's been a while!"

"Not really," you laughed. "Just a few days."

"Much has happened since then," he said. You nodded; if only he knew!

"I even caught a glimpse of one of the illusive daughters of Lord Natsu," he continued as you walked to the dojo.

"Really?" you asked, trying to act surprised.

"Yes! I'm not sure which one, though, and she was of course wearing a heavy veil."

"Then you didn't really see her."

"You have a point!" he laughed. His tone became more serious. "They say the two young ladies are unmatched in grace and gentleness, but she seemed very sad, like a caged bird."

"No," you disagreed. "I'm sure she's quite content." It was mostly true, too. Except for occasional moments of feeling imprisoned, you were happy with your life.

"She even spoke to me," Farren smiled.

"What did she say?"

"She said, 'Listen to your teacher. He is very wise.' She was actually speaking to the children I was with, but her voice was so quiet. She's probably the delicate kind of person who couldn't hurt a fly," he remarked.

You're a little surprised he remembered your exact words, and the irony of the situation was starting to make your head spin.

"Here we are. Shall we begin the lesson, Akio?" Farren asked, opening the door to the dojo.

"Yes, teacher," you nodded.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

You worked a bit more on your technique. Farren showed you how to save a little bit of your energy until the very last and then using it all at once for a final blow.

You made it back to the mansion with plenty of time to spare, but Maemi was still pacing around anxiously.

"Oh, you have finally returned, Lady _____!" she sighed as she helped you transform back into a woman.

"Maemi, you must calm yourself! Your manner will make my parents even more suspicious," you said.

"Please, speak to your teacher about ending the lessons! Talk has ceased completely about rebel movements, and that always means that they're about to make a move. No one will mention it for fear the rebels will come after them," she whispered.

"Then I will train harder in preparation for the inevitable," you said, your voice shaking slightly. You didn't want to fight for your life, and your first opportunity would soon be at hand. Tomorrow at noon, you would be battling someone who was stronger and more experienced. You'd have to think of a strategy if you wanted to survive. You could tell Farren or Farrah about their jealous pupil, but that was too cowardly. Goro would probably only bother you even more. It would be better to fight it out, man to man. Or, errr... man to wanna-be-man.