The Cloaked Samurai

The Discovery

You woke up the next morning and found your father sitting next to you. Your heart still felt ripped into pieces. You felt betrayed and alone. Your future seemed so dismal and dark.

"Papa..." you whispered. "How could you do this to me?"

"I had no choice, _____," he said sadly, his eyes deep and sorrowful. "Who can refuse an order from the Prince, especially when no other offers have come?"

"Please, wait a little longer!" you begged, sitting up. "I'm sure someone will..." You didn't finish the sentence. What were your choices? What other royalty would want to wed you? If another offer came, it would most likely be from a man much older than you and perhaps even more abusive. Prince Keiji was probably the best offer you could find, even if you were only his second wife. Your children would still be able to inherit the throne, and life might not be horrible all the time.

"Your sister is very upset," your father said. "She hasn't spoken since she heard the news."

"Let me try, Papa," you said, standing up. "Perhaps she will listen to me."

Your father stood up and turned to leave. Before doing so, he paused and said, "I truly am sorry. I wish there was another way."

"Papa," you murmured, going over to him and hugging him. You knew this probably hurt him as much as it hurt you. Who would be able to give their beloved daughter away as a concubine and not regret it? It wasn't his fault; he really couldn't say no to the Prince.

Your father left, and Maemi helped you get dressed.

"I will miss you, my lady," she said softly as she brushed your hair.

"Don't say that," you scolded her. "There are still two more days until the wedding."

"Will you try to run away?" she asked.

"And go where?" you sighed, looking at her. "And they will send guards to search for me. I won't be able to hide for long. No, I must accept my fate."

You left the room and went to Kioko's room. Her door was closed, and you slowly slid it open. She was sitting in the corner, staring at the ground.

"How are you?" you asked her.

She didn't move, let alone answer you. You sat next to her.

"I'm sorry, Kioko. I didn't mean for this to happen. I wish it wasn't," you told her. She didn't respond. "I had suspected this for a while, since last Sunday. When we went to the castle and I disappeared for a long time, it wasn't because I was lost. Prince Keiji tried to.... Kioko, I'm so sorry! I know how much this must hurt..."

Still no reply.

"Please, sister! Speak to me!" you begged, your voice shaking. "Sister!"

The bond between you used to be so strong, but now it had shattered like glass. So many years had been spent together, keeping each other company and sharing everything. She was always there for you, to be a shoulder to cry on or to laugh with or even to tease you. She was your sole companion.

"Sister!" you pleaded again. Tears were beginning to form at the corners of your eyes. You squeezed them shut, biting back your pain. You stood up and left the room, closing the door behind you. You leaned against it, trying to compose yourself. Soon you could hear your sister's muffled sobs coming through the door.

Your journey to the dojo was much slower today. You took your time, absorbing the sights and sounds that you may never be able to experience again. This new-found freedom was about to be taken away. Now who would protect your papa?

"Hello," you said, entering the dojo.

"Mr. Akio!" Farrah was there to greet you. She seemed to know something was wrong. "Is everything all right?"

"No. I'm afraid this will be my last lesson," you broke the news quickly. "Here is your final payment."

"Oh." Farrah accepted the pouch and blinked several times, trying to absorb the news. "May... I ask the reason?"

"I'd rather not say," you responded, looking away.

"Oh," she said again. "Well... you will come visit us, right?"

"If I can. It may be impossible though," you whispered, entering the lesson room.

"Hello!" Farren said cheerfully when you walked in. You continued looking down, grabbing your bamboo sword. Farrah followed and whispered the news to Farren. He was also surprised and worried, but he said nothing. Farrah sat down to watch, and Farren approached you.

"How about a battle?" he asked you with a smile. "Farrah will observe and give advice."

You nodded, and with that, he attacked you. You had more energy than usual, but it was harder for you to concentrate. After a while, you were able to focus solely on the fight and forget all of your troubles.

"Straighten your back, Akio. It will make your attacks more powerful," Farrah called. Farren wasn't holding back. He kept advancing forward, making you dance around him to avoid his attacks. At one point, he attacked twice in quick succession, throwing you off. You quickly shifted your body weight and swiveled to avoid his bamboo sword. It barely missed you, and his arm brushed down against your chest. In the moment that followed, everything seemed to stand still. Your face grew hot, and you prayed that he hadn't noticed. It was too obvious though; there was no chance. Shock was spread across his face, and he froze. No one said anything.

Finally, in one swift movement, Farren used his free hand and pulled away your shirt.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

"Wh-what?" Farrah's eyes widened.

"I suspected it, but I was hoping it wasn't true," Farren said, bowing his head.

"I-I'm sorry," you stuttered, not bothering to lower your voice any longer. "I-"

"Who are you?" Farren demanded. "What is your real name?"

"I am Lady Amaya, youngest daughter of Lord Natsu and Lady Toki," you said, trying to keep your voice from shaking. Farrah gasped and covered her mouth. Farren tensed up and looked at the ground.

"My papa, Lord Natsu, has no sons and no one to protect him. With all the talk of rebellion, I thought that if I could learn at least the basics of fighting, then I could at least offer him some protection," you quickly explained.

"And what is the real reason you are no longer able to come, my lady?" Farren asked. His voice was much colder than you were used to.

"On Saturday, I will become the second wife of Prince Keiji," you said. "It appears it hasn't been formally announced yet."

"Farren..." Farrah stood up and went to her brother, putting a hand on his shoulder. "We'll be killed if someone discovers we've been training a woman, a lady, to fight."

"I'm sorry! I promise, I didn't think this would happen! I'm sure we're the only ones who know, apart from my maid. It'll be fine," you tried to assure them.

"Please leave, my lady," Farren said softly, still avoiding your gaze. "You have disgraced yourself, your family, and our dojo. Please, leave this place at once."

"I'm sorry!" you said one last time, pulling your shirt around yourself again and running from the room. You quickly left the dojo, not looking back as you ran away. It seemed like all you were doing lately was causing people pain and hardship. How could everything just come to an end like this? If only there were some way to turn back time! You would return to the days when you were a child, playing with your sister as your parents watched. Everything had been so simple and happy. The days were endless and peaceful, like paradise. Now everything was falling apart, and you were powerless to stop it.