The Cloaked Samurai

The Gossip

"Word spreads quickly, Akio," Farrah said as you sat down to breakfast the next morning. "Everyone is talking about the deaths of the rebels. Even the Prince is investigating the mysterious samurai who killed them."

"Guess you could say I'm famous," you smiled.

"Farrah and I have already fabricated a story that you have come from a distant town in the north to train with us," Farren explained. "It seems to be working well. No one has questioned it so far."

"But doesn't it imply that I'll leave after a few months or so?" you asked, taking a bite of your rice.

"Well, then we'll just have to say that you've decided to stay," Farrah smiled. "By the way, I have a few errands to run this afternoon. Would you like to help me, Akio?"

"Yes!" you nodded, thinking in excitement about your first time going to the market without being hidden under veils and protected by guards. You would be able to talk to whoever you wanted and do whatever you wanted. The freedom was almost dizzying.

It began raining during the day, but you didn't care. The errands still had to be run, so you went out with Farrah after lunch.

"Is it more manly to not use an umbrella?" you asked her in a low voice.

"No!" she laughed. "You aren't expected to get wet!"

"The sky is crying for our lost lord and his family," a man near you said to the vendor.

"Yes. It is a great loss," he bowed his head. "But who will rule over us now?"

"Prince Keiji will take over Lord Natsu's land. Prince Keiji would have inherited it through his marriage to Lady Kioko," the man replied.

"But did you hear about Lady ______? She was also to join the Prince's household as a concubine," the vendor said in a low voice.

"Yes," the man nodded gravely. He leaned in closer to the vendor. "It doesn't surprise me. I've always heard the Prince has had his way with many a woman, and I'm sure it was no different with Lady _____."

"Akio? Are you coming?" Farrah asked, seeing that you weren't following her any longer.

"Yes!" You hurried after her.

"Is there any meal you'd like me to prepare?" she asked as you continued to the next stand.

"I don't want to trouble you," you shook your head.

"Now there's something you need to work on. Men are supposed to be strong, forceful leaders. You should make a decision and stick to it," Farrah instructed.

"Miso soup, then," you said with a smile.

"Okay," Farrah smiled back. "We'll buy some onions."

You suddenly noticed someone you recognized.

"Oh, Goro, sir!" you exclaimed. He looked up and frowned.

"You haven't been coming to the dojo," you remarked.

"How much longer do you plan to humiliate me? You beat me. Isn't that enough for you?" he growled.

"Why does it matter who is stronger?" you asked. "Why can't we just fight and try our best?"

"Hmph," Goro turned away.

"I'm sorry, sir!" you said, bowing low. "I didn't mean to offend or embarrass you. It was impudent of me to fight my elder. I never meant to turn you away from the dojo. Please, continue your training. Please, continue training and teach me what you know."

Goro stopped and turned around. He gave a small laugh. You looked up and saw him smiling slightly.

"Maybe you aren't so bad after all, kid," he said. He walked away, but you had the feeling that Goro would be coming back to the dojo.

"Hey, you're a samurai!" a street vendor called over to you. "Got any idea who killed the rebels who killed Lord Natsu and his family?"

"No. There are plenty of samurai in these times of war," you said.

"You've got a point," the man sighed. "But you know what they say. There's some legendary samurai out there who appears out of no where to provide retribution to those who need it. But they also say he's cursed, and if you see him, you'll be dead within the day."

"He sounds ruthless," you replied.

"Just a legend, of course. Probably isn't true. Still, you know how people like to hope that there's someone great who will relieve them of their sorrows," the man shrugged.

"Akio, are you ready to return to the dojo?" Farrah walked up to you. You nodded and followed her back through the market.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

You couldn't help but listen to the conversations of the young students coming to the dojo.

"I can't believe Lord Natsu and Lady Toki are dead!" one of them exclaimed.

"Yeah, it's hard to get used to it. When I heard about the fire, I thought everyone was joking at first. It doesn't seem real."

"And what about Lady Kioko and Lady _____? The day before their wedding."

"But you have to wonder... were they really happy getting married to the same man, even though it was Prince Keiji?"

"You have to wonder. Of course, normal people like us have no idea what goes on in the lives of the royal families."

"You think their angry spirits killed the rebels?"

"Nah, it was a samurai. Their spirits will probably still want revenge though. No one that powerful could just vanish into thin air."

"All right, settle down. It's time for the lesson," Farren said as he walked into the room. He glanced over to where you were gathering the wooden swords.

"This is Akio. He's an older and more advanced student who will be helping me today," Farren introduced you. There were mumbles of, "Pleased to meet you, Mr. Akio."

Later, your mind kept drifting to what the students had been saying. They were right; your family couldn't just disappear. Your feelings for them hadn't.

You stepped outside into the rain. You looked up at the sky. You never had a chance to make things right with Kioko.

"I'm so sorry," you whispered. You closed your eyes, feeling the rain run down your face. It was wonderful and soothing, like letting the clouds cry instead of you.

It was hard to just let the memories of your family fade. They would never leave you. They were still with you, if only in your heart.

"Please, protect me," you prayed to them. "I will never forget you, and I will always love you."