The Cloaked Samurai

The Night

"Where... is Farrah?" you couldn't help but ask as Farren led you outside.

"She fell asleep early. You're just too much work for her," Farren teased. You glanced around to make sure no random stranger saw you like this, but you were completely alone. Farren was right; the moon was full tonight and beautiful. The sky was dusted with thousands of stars, and as Farren took you to the river, you could see the night sky reflected in its waters.

"I like to sit here alone to meditate sometimes, but I decided I'd like some company tonight," Farren explained as he sat down on the cool grass.

"It's so peaceful," you sighed as a breeze ruffles through your hair. It was like you were the only two people in the world. A thought occurred to you.

"Teacher, how old are you?" you asked.

"Why this all of a sudden?" Farren smiled in amusement. "I am nineteen years old."

"Isn't that a little... I mean, aren't you close to the age for marriage?" you asked, turning your face away because you knew you were blushing.

"I still have a few years," Farren replied, his brown eyes still twinkling. "And many samurai choose to remain unmarried. If the emperor ever calls me into battle, I may not return."

"I hope we do not enter another war," you whispered. The last war had been a few generations ago. Your great-grandfather had fought in it, earning his family the land and title you once owned. The white cloak and katana were his.

"I'm sure the emperor will continue his good relations with the other kingdoms," Farren assured you. "I don't think I have to worry about either war or marriage for some time. Besides, it might be near impossible for me to be with the one I love." He suddenly placed his hand on top of yours. Your blush only grew exponentially; you weren't used to Farren being this affectionate. You stood up abruptly.

"I... I should change clothes. I don't want anyone to see me like this," you quickly made up an excuse.

"No one will see you," Farren smiled up at you. "This is a rare opportunity. I should take advantage of it, Lady _____."

"I wish you wouldn't call me that. I'm not a lady," you sighed, sitting down again.

"What should I call you then?" Farren asked.

"Akio is fine, or _____," you told him.

"How about... dearest?" Farren smiled in a way that made it hard to tell whether he was just teasing you or not. Even so, it made your stomach turn over.

"You're acting so shy tonight," Farren pointed out when you found yourself unable to speak. "Is there a reason behind the personality change?"

"Me? You're the one who keeps making strange, romantic comments!" you protested.

"Perhaps, but shall I remind you who it was to bring up the topic of marriage?" Farren asked. He laughed at your angered and embarrassed expression. You fell silent again.

"Teacher, do you think... is it really possible for me to stay here?" you asked hesitantly after a while.

"Why this? You're asking strange questions tonight," Farren stared at you.

"I can't explain it, but I just have this feeling that I won't be able to stay here forever. It just feels like some day, whether by choice or not, I'll go far, far away," you said, staring into the stars. It was almost as if something was pulling at you to leave, like a restlessness that filled your entire body. In ways, you wanted to explore the world you had been separated from, and in other ways, you wanted the security and protection of a home. Even so, no matter what you felt, something in the back of your mind whispered that you couldn't stay here long.

"Many warriors dream of traveling and seeing the world," Farren sighed. "I have always been content to remain here, but if this is what you wish, I can't keep you here."

"That isn't what I meant. I feel like I almost don't have a choice. Even if I don't leave voluntarily, this feeling tells me that something will force me to leave," you tried to explain. Suddenly, Farren wrapped his arms around you.

"I can't stand the thought of you leaving. It would be like losing a part of myself. Ever since I've met you... I've felt different. I'm... I'm always thinking about you. I can't stop worrying about you and wondering how you are, and when I'm with you, I always feel so... so happy. So complete!" he murmured. You were so shocked by this sudden declare of love that all you could stammer was, "F-Farren..."

Farren pulled away from you but kept you in his arms. He gazed at you wordlessly before leaning in closer. You closed your eyes, feeling something like electricity in the closing space between him and you. Just as his lips almost met yours, a scream pierced the night air. You both pulled away and opened your eyes.

"Farrah!" Farren exclaimed. You both leaped to your feet and ran down the hill towards the dojo.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

You rushed into the lesson room of the dojo, throwing open the door. Farren was right behind you. Farrah was shaking slightly but otherwise unmoving. Her eyes were wide with fear, and she looked like she was having a hard time keeping back more screams.
A tall man dressed in black with a mask covering his face stood behind Farrah. One arm was wrapped around her waist, restraining her, and the other held a katana pressed to her throat.

"A... ninja!" Farren gasped.

"Perhaps one of you can tell me..." the ninja said in a deep voice. "Who killed my comrades? A skilled samurai murdered my comrades, and one of you must know him!"

"The rebels!" you whispered. He was the leader of the rebel group who had killed your family!

Farrah let out a small whimper as the blade pressed hard enough against her throat to make a small cut.

"I shouldn't have to tell you that this isn't a simple request. Withhold information, and this pretty young woman will die," the ninja threatened. You trembled. What could you tell this man that would satisfy him? The truth meant he would turn on you! Could you formulate a believable lie? If you couldn't, Farrah would be killed!

"Think quickly," the ninja seemed to be grinning under his mask. "I'm a terribly impatient man."