The Cloaked Samurai

The Lie

"You're wasting your time," Farren said carefully. "We don't know anything about the person who killed your men. It could have been anyone."

"Not just anyone. My men are talented and well trained. It would have taken a skilled samurai to take on all of them at the same time and win," the ninja replied, still pressing his katana against Farrah's throat. Farren and you exchanged worried glances. This ninja wouldn't take no for an answer. What could you tell him?

"When I reach zero, the woman dies," the ninja threatened. "Five, four, three..."

Farren's breathing quickened. He was stuck in a dead end. If he told the truth, you would be killed. If he told a lie or didn't answer, Farrah would be killed. He looked over at you once more. You gave a small nod and stepped forward.

"I'll tell you," you said, trying to make your voice sound confident. The ninja stopped counting. You didn't know what you were going to tell him yet; you were just trying to buy some time.

"Tell me, and I will let her live," the ninja said.

"If you don't take that blade off her throat, you'll never know the answer. I am the only living witness of that night. If she dies, I will slice out my tongue and be a mute for the rest of my life," you gave a threat of your own.

The ninja gave a small chuckle. "This, from a woman? Your friend's life hangs in the balance."

"You don't think I'm serious?" you asked, your voice calm and dark. "Look into my eyes and then tell me that I'm lying."

The ninja stared at you for a period of time that seemed much longer than it actually was. He pulled his arm away and let Farrah fall to the ground. He put away his katana.

"We will discuss this in another room. I don't want anyone else to hear the truth," you said, still stalling.

"How can I trust you?" the ninja asked suspiciously.

"Bring your weapons, if you will. If you're not satisfied, you can kill me," you said, opening the door. "Follow me, please, and I will take you to the room." You left the room, having no doubt that he would follow. You were trying to think of an answer. Obviously it couldn't be a person who actually existed or else innocent people would be killed. Could you say it was a foreigner? It would get him out of the area, at least. Most of all, it was hard to control your anger. This man was responsible for the deaths of your family and servants, destroying your home and everything you had. More than anything, you wanted to slice his evil head off.

"Here. This room is secure," you said, opening the door to another room. You weren't sure whether it was actually sound-proof of not, but you needed a reason for just picking a random room. The ninja went inside and sat down. You closed the door and sat on the floor across from him. The moonlight spilled in through the window, providing the only light.

"Ask one question at a time. If I feel the answer is irrelevant, I will refuse to answer," you said. "Do you agree to these terms?"

"Yes," the ninja nodded. "Who killed my men?"

"He has no name. He is a vagrant, wandering across the land. He is known only as the Cloaked Samurai, and is believed by most to be only a legend," you said. This was a pretty good response. Mystery, truth in local myths, and all you could remember was the dream you had about a samurai in a white cloak.

"Is he for the revolution or for the government?" the ninja asked.

"Neither. When he comes across a fight, he takes the side of whoever he believes to be the most just at the time. He will fight on either side depending on the situation. He may even kill all parties involved," you answered.

"Where is he now?"

"Impossible to say. He never comes to the same place twice. He won't be found here again."

"Do you know him personally?"

"Yes. I know him well."

"Then do you work for him or under him?"

"I am only a messenger. After tonight, you will never see me again," you said. This was true. After this terrifying event, you would never risk dressing as a woman again.

"What does he look like?"

"He carries a white cloak and a katana with a white sheath. His clothes are that of a normal samurai."

"How did he come about?"

"He is a being created from the desires of people for a savior. However, he can be either a blessing or a curse depending on the situation. Some will rejoice upon seeing him, and others will regret leaving their homes."

"How long does he stay in one place?"

"Anywhere from less to a day to more than a week. If he feels he is needed, he will stay. If he feels unwanted, he will leave."

"Will he kill anyone?"

"He prefers not to. If he thinks that killing is unavoidable, he will unsheathe his katana and kill all rivals without discrimination. Otherwise, he will only fight with the sheath on." Why let the creativity of those children go to waste? You were very thankful that you had watched their little game.

"What is your name?" the ninja asked after a long pause, examining you with scrutinizing eyes.

"You don't need to know that. Next question."

"You said I'll never see you again. How do you know that?"

"Irrelevant. Next question."

"How did you meet the Cloaked Samurai?"

"Next question."

"What will happen to you after tonight?"

"I will not answer any personal questions. If you are planning on holding me hostage until the Cloaked Samurai comes for me, this plan will fail. He doesn't care about me," you said, feeling uneasy about the direction of this conversation.

The ninja suddenly stood up.

"You are different from most women," he said. "You are brave and confident, willing to face the future no matter what it may hold." He reached up with one hand and carefully removed the mask hiding his face. "We ninjas disguise our faces to protect our identities, but I have long since been hiding my face. I have had this for many years, and men and women alike were disgusted by it." He pulled the mask away to reveal a long, thin scar stretching from his left ear to his right collarbone, slashing across his jaw and neck. Despite this, he is surprisingly handsome. He looks young, probably not much older than you. Somehow, you had been expecting someone many years older.

"I see nothing wrong with it. Many noble warriors have battle scars," you said, confused as to what was happening. Why was he showing it to you? Why was it important?

"There was no battle. This wound was a wound inflicted upon myself," he said calmly. "After the prince's men murdered everyone in my village for refusing to pay taxes, I attempted suicide. I had been traveling to another village, and when I returned, everyone was dead. I was too cowardly to even perform the traditional seppuku."

"So you tried to slice your throat instead," you made the connection.

"Yes. I was unsuccessful, but all who see this scar look down upon me, knowing I could not even perform an honorable ceremony of death," the ninja said gravely.

"It isn't any of their business. They have no idea what it's like to be in your position, whether what you did was right or wrong. I doubt you could think clearly after coming home to see everyone you knew dead. Surely you wanted to end your life in the quickest way possible," you said. Even so, you could see why people would look down on him. The suicide of a warrior was a very serious manner and could either bring honor or shame.

The ninja knelt in front of you, closer to your face than you would have liked. "Why do you say that I will never see you again after tonight?"

"I will cease to exist. Perhaps... the only reason why I am here is because I needed to tell you about the Cloaked Samurai," you said, staring off into the distance. Once again, it was far too dangerous to dress as a woman. You would seal off your feminine side once and for all. Maybe fate was responsible for your current female appearance. If you had met this ninja as a male, things probably wouldn't have been so easy.

"That isn't possible," the ninja disagreed.

"Search as you may, you will never find me again. This is the first and last time we shall meet," you said calmly.

"If this is true..." The ninja stared at you for a moment. He suddenly grabbed your face in both of his hands and kissed your roughly. The kiss lasted only a moment, but as the ninja replaced his mask and ran from the room, disappearing into the night, you felt breathless and dizzy.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

"What happened?" Farrah and Farren run into the room.

"I don't think he'll come back. I told him that a mysterious Cloaked Samurai who never goes to the same place twice killed his allies. The ninja will probably leave the area to search for him," you explained, still struggling to catch your breath.

"What's wrong?" Farrah asked. She put a hand on your forehead. "It's hot! Do you have a fever?"

"No, it's not that," you stood up shakily. "I think... I'll take a bath and go to bed." You hold your head in your hands as you leave the room, mumbling under your breath, "This is why it's better to be a man. You don't get randomly kissed by creepy men."

It was not an experience you would like to repeat, but as fate would have it, your path would cross with the ninja's once again.