The Cloaked Samurai

The Escape

Another nightmare ruined your sleep again. You were swimming in a sea of black, a mermaid with a gray tail again. You were suddenly surrounded by large black dogs. They growled viciously. They began to chase you, and you swam away as fast as you could. Everywhere you turned, there was a rabid dog waiting for you. There was no way to escape; you were trapped.

A malevolent laughter filled the air as Prince Keiji walked into the scene, his scarlet cloak whipping around him. Surrounded by the dogs, you had no where to run. The dogs somehow morphed into men dressed in black, like the Prince's henchmen.

"Don't be afraid of me," the Prince smiled maliciously, caressing your cheek and wrapping an arm around your waist. "I won't hurt you if you give me what I want."

"No! Leave me alone!" you screamed. The henchmen suddenly split in half down the middle, like someone had cut them open. They fell back, blood spraying over you. Prince Keiji disappeared, and a crowd of women appeared.

"You killed them!" they screamed, pointing at the dead men. "They're dead because of you! You're a murderer! What will our children do without their fathers?"

They wailed and sobbed, dipping their hands in the blood and smearing it over their faces. As the blood soaked into their skin, they became large, crimson monsters. They attacked you. Weaponless, you were forced to run away, suddenly having legs again. You saw a tall tree and climbed up it to escape. There was a small box of wood, like a tree house, built on some of the limbs. You hid inside, hoping the monsters would leave you alone.

You finally woke up as the dream ended. You rubbed your forehead, having a sudden headache. The dream seemed so real. All of these life-like dreams had been warning you of something. What did this one mean?

"Akio? Are you ready for breakfast?" Farrah asked, her voice coming through the door.

"Yes!" you called, quickly getting dressed.

"I'm very worried," Farren was saying as you walked into the kitchen.

"But you might have been mistaken," Farrah replied.

"Is something wrong?" you asked.

"There might have been someone watching us last night by the river. My senses were... somewhat less alert," Farren blushed. "But I remember feeling that there was another person watching us."

"How bad is this?" you asked, nervous now.

"It depends who was watching," Farrah said. "If it was just an ordinary person, everything should be fine."

"The Prince!" you suddenly realized. "Would he have sent out spies?"

"Has he discovered that your corpse is missing?" Farren wondered. "If he realizes that you're still alive, he would surely search for you."

Your breathing quickened, and your stomach felt sick again. You wanted to throw up at just the thought of Prince Keiji finding you.

"Are Farren and Farrah here?" a loud male voice suddenly shouted.

"Yes, we are coming," Farren said, standing up. He and Farrah went to see who it was. You heard voices talking. It sort of sounded like Farren was leading the man into another room. You started to walk into the hallway to see who it was when Farrah ran in.

"It's one of the Prince's servants!" she whispered, her eyes wide with fear. "Apparently, one of the Prince's spies saw you last night! He reported that an unknown woman wearing an expensive silk kimono was seen near the dojo, and now the Prince himself is coming to investigate! He's planning on staying for a while to check things out!"

"He knows, Farrah!" you realized, fear piercing your voice. "Keiji knows that I'm here, and he probably thinks Farren killed those men! He'll find me! He'll recognize me!"

"You have to escape, Akio!" Farrah whispered. "Farren will hold the man off as long as he can. I'll prepare food for you to take. Go get your things and come back here!"

You nodded and dashed across the hallway into your room. Like the night of the fire, you quickly stuffed everything into the shawl and tied it into a neat bundle. You grabbed the bundle and the katana, running back into kitchen. Farrah has already wrapped some food in cloth.

"My shoes?" you asked. "They're by the front door."

Farrah held them up and motioned for you to go to the back door. She followed you, and as you stepped outside and put your shoes on, she hugged you.

"We'll come look for you as soon as everything is safe!" she said.

"I will miss you, Farrah!" you tried to fight back tears. Just when you were content, the Prince came and ruined your new home. "Promise me that we'll meet again some day!"

"I promise! Now, go! We can't risk any more time!" Farrah said, pulling away.

You ran away from the dojo, leaving her standing alone. You ran as fast as you could, not looking back as you went by the river. It was hard to believe that just last night, you were sitting by the river with Farren, perfectly happy. Now you were running away from the Prince. You didn't even want to think about what he would do to you if he caught you. It seemed impossible to avoid, like you would have to face this some day. Still, you would push that day as far into the future as you could.

Remembering your dream, you ran into the dark forest, letting the shadows hide you from the truth.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

You didn't stop running until nearly noon when you were deep into the forest, still afraid of the Prince.

You sat down to rest under a tree, breathing heavily from fear and running for so long. You were far from the village now, but you vowed to continue moving.
Your senses suddenly snapped awake, telling you that you weren't alone. You had only a moment to stand up before a dagger was pressed against your throat, its owner standing behind you.

"Friend or foe?" a voice whispered in your ear, oddly familiar.

"Depends who's holding the knife," you answered truthfully, trying to stay calm.

"A ninja, a revolutionary, a rebel. One who runs from the government and the harsh rules of society," he replied.

"Friend, then. I've broken my fair share of laws, and I have been running from the Prince and his men since daybreak," you said, hoping the man would let you go. The ninja put the dagger away, and you turned to look at him. He was wearing a mask, but you were frighteningly positive that you had just jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire.

"Then where are you headed, friend?" the ninja asked, his voice sending chills up and down your spine. You struggled to remain calm and convince yourself that he didn't recognize you. Just last night, he had held a blade to Farrah's throat.

"No where. Anywhere. I just need a place to hide from the Prince," you said, making sure your voice was distinctly lower than normal.

"If you'd like, you are welcome to travel with me. I have a small group camped nearby. We are in search of a samurai with a white cloak. Do you know of him?" the ninja asked. You inwardly breathed a sigh of relief for not wearing the cloak.

"No, I do not," you shook your head. "And I would be honored to join your company, but I'm afraid I would be more trouble than blessing."

"Surely not. You are the first I have met to sense my attack before it came," the ninja said, seeming to be smiling. "We are in need of more men. Some of our group have been murdered."

"By a samurai with a white cloak?" you asked, pretending to be guessing.

"You are intelligent, as well. Come, I will lead you to them," the ninja motioned for you to follow him. You didn't think you had much of a choice. Besides, he might provide some protection.

"Here is another question for you," the ninja said as you followed him through the dense forest. "Who is the other that I search for?"

"I... have no idea," you said, dumbfounded.

"Think, samurai. What does every man's heart long for?" the ninja asked.

"A... woman?" you guessed.

"Correct! Truthfully, I had thought to never marry, knowing that women were weak and foolish creatures, but I met one with enough bravery and wit to be a man!" He laughed. "If not for her delicate and beautiful appearance, I would think her to be one!"

"Who is this... rare woman?" you asked, trying to keep from getting angry at his woman-bashing.

"I know not her name, but she has a connection to the Cloaked Samurai. I met her last night, and I am determined to make her mine!" the ninja said proudly. You're glad he's facing the other direction so that he doesn't see the shock written all over your face.

"I don't suppose you know of such a woman?" the ninja added after giving a description of her (well, your) looks.

"No, I don't believe I've ever met her," you lied.