The Cloaked Samurai

The Argument

No one mentioned last night's incident, but Takumi motioned for you to sit next to him at breakfast.

"We leave today on our search for the Cloaked Samurai," he said, handing you a bowl of rice.

"And the mysterious woman," you added.

"Of course!" Takumi said calmly.

"Perhaps she was right. You may never see her again," you sighed. "This may prove to be a hopeless search."

"No, I will find her," Takumi insisted. You didn't feel like fighting, so you just finished your meal. The rest of the ninjas packed everything up. About half of them left while the rest waited for Takumi's instructions.

"We will meet at nightfall at A4," Takumi said loudly. The ninjas nodded and ran off in different directions.

"Are we all going to the same place?" you asked in confusion.

"They're spreading out across the area. They know exactly where I'll be setting up camp tonight. They'll all get there one way or another," Takumi explained. You followed him into the forest.

"I'm still not convinced I should help you find this woman," you told him.

"You are too young to understand love yet," Takumi said in a rather condescending way.

"How old is she? Would she understand it?" you challenged.

"She would if she knew the intensity of my love," Takumi argued.

"Your love? Your love of what?"

"For her, of course!"

"You met her only once! Any qualities you believe she has exist only in your head! You're in love with yourself!"

"She returns my feelings!"

"What proof do you have?"

"She didn't refuse my kiss. She accepted me completely."

You trip unexpectedly. "You... kissed her?" you quickly asked.

"I removed my mask. She did not turn away in horror the way other women have. Before I left her, I kissed her," Takumi said, proud that he had finally surprised you.

"And she didn't pull away? Are you sure she accepted the kiss and wasn't merely in a moment of shock?"

"She did not push away and put up a resistance of any kind. This is a clear sign of her feelings."

"Even if she did feel the same that night, the feeling was... fleeting, surely. It will have faded by the time you found her."

"Then I will win her heart again, and every day if I must."

"What about you? After spending more than a few moments with her, will you still love her?"

"My first impressions are never wrong."

"You would bet your happiness and her happiness on that presumption?"

"Why do you find such a need to test me?" Takumi stopped walking and turned around to face you. You tried to keep yourself from blushing.

"I... I don't want you to make a rash decision you will later regret," you quickly cover. You're really just seeing exactly how much or how little he loves you.

"What will it take to convince you that I am in love with her?" Takumi asks patiently.

"Tell me," you started, looking away. "Would you love her no matter what, even if she was, perhaps, in love with another man or even involved with the royalty you so despise?"

Takumi laughs heartily. "She could never be on the side of the royalty! She was too headstrong for that!"

"And if she loved another man?" you tested quietly.

"I would kill him!" Takumi said, his eyes shining with laughter. An image of Farren flashed before your eyes. If he found out the truth about everything, would Farren's life be in danger? Would your life be in danger?

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Prince Keiji stormed through the hallways of the palace, trying to bridle his frustration. His lead had been false; Lady _____ wasn't staying at the dojo. Even so, he had an instinctive hunch, and he had set up a system of rotating guards to watch the dojo carefully. No one could come or go without him knowing.

It wasn't enough, though. No matter how many women he had brought to his private quarters, it wasn't enough. The only thing on his mind was Lady _____. Why did he want her so much? Was it because she was the only one who managed to escape from him? Was it simply his duty to marry royalty? Was it the fire hidden behind her beautiful eyes?

"How is he?" Prince Keiji asked as he burst into his father's room.

"Not well, your highness," the doctor said solemnly. Prince Keiji knelt by his father's side.

"Keiji!" his father wheezed, reaching out a hand.

"I'm right here," Prince Keiji said, gently taking his father's hand.

"Am... am I going to die?" his father, the emperor, asked in a hoarse voice.

"No, Father. You're going to stay here with Yasuo and me," Keiji answered calmly, glancing across the room at his pale younger brother.

"I don't want to leave my kingdom in incapable hands," the emperor said, closing his eyes.

"Are you saying I am incapable of ruling the kingdom?" Keiji teased lightly, wiping the beads of sweat from his father's forehead.

"I fear I haven't taught you the way I should have, Keiji," the emperor whispered. "Have I really been a father to you?"

Keiji glanced at Yasuo again. Yasuo looked away to hide his face. Keiji was fully aware that he was the favorite son, the one who was lavished in attention while his sickly younger brother was pushed into the shadows. Many had never met him, although Yasuo was only a year younger than Keiji, and some didn't even know he existed.

"You have been a good father to me," Keiji chose his words carefully, making sure to place a slight emphasis on the last two words.

"You are the only one I can trust," the emperor said. Keiji could almost see Yasuo wither under these words.

"What about Yasuo?" Keiji asked, tensing slightly and praying that his father wouldn't say something to hurt Yasuo even further.

"Yasuo isn't even worth the title of being my son," the emperor said harshly. "I'm ashamed my wife even gave birth to such a weak and sickly child." Keiji wasn't sure if his father didn't know Yasuo was in the room or if he just didn't care.

"Father, Yasuo is as much your son as I am," Keiji insisted firmly. He stood up. "Try to find it in your heart to accept him." He turned and left the room, Yasuo following.

"Thank you, brother!" Yasuo said as soon as they were alone.

"He doesn't need to treat you that way," Keiji responded. "Don't worry; he'll come to love you. Be patient."

"No," Yasuo shook his head. "I'm... too weak to ever earn his love." Yasuo was plagued by frequent headaches that took away his energy and rendered him helpless for days. Yasuo could never be a warrior, but his days of sickness provided an opportunity for studying. Keiji was well aware of this and hoped his brother would be some day recognized for the wise young man he was.

"You're always looking out for me," Yasuo continued. "For everyone! If anyone, even the lowliest peasant comes to you, you will listen to them and grant their desires!" It was true; Keiji was celebrated far and wide as the kind-hearted, gentle prince. "I hear the townspeople talk about you. They have nothing but words of praise! I hope someday I will be able to achieve the purity of heart you possess."

Keiji turned away from his brother. If only he could match his brother's ideals! No one knew the truth. Any rumor of Keiji's secret was quickly hushed. Everyone loved the prince; who would believe a young peasant girl and her desperate pleas?

Keiji had made a hidden vow to put a stop to his madness. Once Lady _____ was his, he would have everything he wanted at his fingertips. He could be the kind ruler everyone believed he was.

Keiji could feel the desire growing within him again. The power of this love- no, this obsession- drove him to new heights of insanity. As long as no one knew his hidden passion, as long as he could finally have Lady _____, everything would be fine.