The Cloaked Samurai

The Bath

One day, as you were wandering through the forest, Takumi and you stumbled upon a small stream. It reminded you of the stream by the dojo, but you were too far away from the village for it to be the same stream. You wished Farren and Farrah were here.

"This is perfect," Takumi smiled. "It's been too long since we've had a chance to wash ourselves and our clothes." Without warning, Takumi stripped down to his loincloth and jumped into the stream. Your face turned bright red and hot. You pretended to be interested in something on a tree.

"Jump in, Akio!" Takumi laughed. "There's no need to be shy!"

"I... I don't like water very much," you made up a lame excuse. You really needed a bath, and your clothes were starting to smell. Even so, you couldn't let Takumi know your true identity.

"Then at least wash your clothes! If you don't, your smell will be enough to attract enemies of all kinds," Takumi teased. "I refuse to travel with someone who stinks!"

"I'll wash my clothes some other time. I'd rather keep moving," you said stubbornly, your back still turned.

"Maybe you're just too modest!" Takumi laughed. You felt water hit your clothes as Takumi splashed you. You turned around to yell at him, but nothing came out of your mouth. You couldn't peel your eyes away from the sight. Takumi was standing in the stream laughing, water dripping from his thick black hair down to his muscular chest and well-sculpted abs.

"Should I ask why you're gawking?" Takumi finally broke the silence. You noticed that your mouth was open.

"You're still wearing your mask," you said quickly, turning away. You were feeling more flushed than ever. You really wished you were dressed like a girl so that you wouldn't have to keep explaining why you're just standing there staring and blabbering like an idiot.

"It's a cloth mask. The water won't hurt it," Takumi smiled.

"I thought you would want to wash your face," you replied, making sure to keep your eyes turned away.

"Not in public," he answered.

"If you're not taking your mask off, I'm not taking my clothes off," you said firmly.

"Come join me!" Takumi beckoned, his voice almost pleading. You allowed yourself another glance and had to turn away immediately to keep your mind clear of dirty thoughts.

"Be strong. You were brought up as a proper lady. You can overcome any temptation," you told yourself silently. "Please hurry up," you yelled over your shoulder. "We don't have all day."

"We're actually ahead of schedule. We'll be the first ones at the campsite even if we spend a few hours here," Takumi answered, and your heart sank. "There's plenty of time for us to relax and lay on the grass."

"With clothes on," you added.

"You don't like to feel free sometimes?" Takumi teased.

"Not that free," you retorted. "We're men, not animals. We're supposed to wear at least a pair of pants."

"No, I think I'll stay like this," Takumi decided. "Especially if it bothers you so much, Akio."

"You're very cruel," you muttered as you heard him climb out of the water.

"If you are to be part of my group, you must be completely comfortable with me," Takumi said, sprawling out on the grass next to you. No matter where you looked, he was always in the corner of your eye. You finally just faced the stream again, sitting down.

"Isn't a polite acquaintance enough?" you hoped futilely. Takumi only laughed. You sat together in silence, and once again you are reminded of Farren and the night you sat next to the stream with him.

"I have been meaning to ask you about something, Akio," Takumi said. "Sometimes you cry out in your sleep. Do you have nightmares often?"

"Yes," you sighed, a little embarrassed that you were shouting in your sleep.

"About what?" Takumi inquired curiously.

"Many things. Death. The Prince," you replied solemnly.

"Prince Keiji?" Takumi asked. When you nodded, he continued, "He is no longer a prince. I received word that his father dead, and now Keiji has become the emperor." The words take your breath away.

"How... how terrible!" you stammered in surprise and horror. Keiji was now ruling over the kingdom!

"It seems you, too, wish for Keiji's blood on your hands," Takumi remarked. "I thought you were hesitant about killing royalty?"

"Not Emperor Keiji. He may seem kind and just, but this facade hides a horrible lust for women," you explained.

"Then you, too, have met women terrorized by Keiji. No one else has believed these poor victims," Takumi said, watching you with interest. "You are the first I have met who has trusted their word."

You simply bowed your head. Your suspicions were correct. No one would have believed you if you had told them of Keiji's advances. You wished you could tell Takumi of the night Keiji attacked you, but it wouldn't make sense unless Takumi knew you were a woman.

"The new emperor will pay for his treachery," Takumi assured you, sensing how upset you were. "Those women shall be avenged."

"Master Takumi, is vengeance truly the best reason for killing?" you suddenly blurted out. "What if you met someone... what if you met the Cloaked Samurai and liked him? Would you still kill him?"

"The Cloaked Samurai is a despicable murderer," Takumi spat angrily.

"But imagine if he was disguised as one of your comrades! Could you kill a friend out of vengeance?" you asked. You had two reasons for asking this question. First, you wanted to see whether or not Takumi would kill you if he found your true identity. Second, you wanted to know whether or not you should kill Takumi. Despite the death of your family, you were growing more and more fond of Takumi.

Takumi thought for a moment before finally saying, "Revenge is my highest priority. Most likely, this friend would have betrayed me anyways, and the souls of the dead would not be able to rest easily if I didn't kill the Cloaked Samurai."

"Not even the woman you love would be able to persuade you otherwise?" you sighed.

"You finally accepted that I love her," Takumi smiled. His face grew grave again. "And no. Not even her pleas for mercy would spare him."

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Finally, Takumi put his clothes back on and decided to continue the journey.

"This Cloaked Samurai is more illusive than I thought," Takumi commented as he led the way through the forest. "We have search for many weeks without finding even a trace."

"Perhaps you are not meant to find him," you said quietly. "Would it be a crime to give up the search?"

"The spirits of my dead comrades must be avenged," Takumi insisted. "And I must find the woman who travels with the Cloaked Samurai."

"What if she is dead?" you asked. Takumi stopped walking. "She said you would never see her again. Maybe she meant she would die," you quickly explained yourself.

"I pray that it is not so," Takumi said quietly.

"You talk about her less and less," you remarked.

"Thoughts of her have filled my mind less and less," Takumi replied, starting to walk again. "Perhaps you are right. My shallow love is easily fading."

"Why do you call it shallow? You used to insist that it was genuine and lasting," you said in surprise.

"Compared to other feelings, it seems like nothing," Takumi answered.

"What other feelings?" you asked, although you weren't really sure you wanted to know the answer. Takumi stopped walking again. He turned around.

"Why do you confuse me this way, Akio?" Takumi asked, almost sounded distressed. "I have understood nothing recently. I don't know why or how, but I find myself strongly attracted to you."