The Cloaked Samurai

The Soldier

The next few days were extremely awkward. Takumi didn't seem bothered, but you can't look him in the eye or sit more than three feet near him. You blushed every time he talked to you, and you were constantly aware of his gaze, making you feel small and weak.

Takumi instructed his ninjas to leave the area. You were moving further away from the dojo. Many times, you passed small villages. You could see the poverty in the people's eyes. Not only were their houses small and their clothing ragged, but the people themselves were thin and tired-looking. You could see their bones sticking out of their skin, their eyes seeming too large for their thin pale faces. They always looked up with begging eyes, some hopeful that you might spare food while others looked exhausted and near death.

"Now you see the true results of royalty," Takumi said after leaving one such village.

"But I wonder... would killing the royalty really make anything different? Would there really be more food and less sickness?" you asked, keeping your eyes on the ground.

"The royal families are imposing high taxes even during years of drought and famine. By destroying the corrupt government, we can create a new one with fair laws," Takumi insisted. You still don't think it will be so easy and simple.

The sound of horse hooves made you both look behind. A group of soldiers on horseback was racing towards you.

"Akio, run!" Takumi shouted, grabbing your hand. You ran through the forest, knowing it was impossible to escape the horses. They're too fast.

"Quickly, climb!" Takumi instructed, letting go of your hand. He started climbing a tree until he was hidden in the branches. You followed suit, pulling yourself up as high as you dare.

"They're around here somewhere!" a soldier shouted as the horses ran into the forest and stopped. There were eight soldiers, and one seemed to be leading the rest.

"They must be hiding!" he shouted. "Men, shoot your arrows into the trees!"

The soldiers pull out their bows and arrows, firing into the treetops. One arrow narrowly missed you. You struggled to dodge it while remaining hidden.

"Keep shooting!" the leader yelled. "They can't hide forever!" He was right. It wouldn't be long before one of you was hit. Takumi couldn't risk throwing a dagger. If he did, he would give away his location. It was only a matter of time before it was too late. You could imagine the soldiers capturing a wounded Takumi. They would drag him before Emperor Keiji. He would be disgraced and killed to the cheers of villagers. You couldn't let it happen.

You leaped out of the tree and managed to stab two with their backs turned to you before the others had grabbed your arms.

"Where is your partner?" the leader demanded.

"He went ahead as I stayed behind," you explained, hoping to create enough of a distraction to allow for Takumi to escape.

"He abandoned you?" the leader smirked, pressing his katana against your throat. You glared defiantly back into his eyes.

"We should kill this one now and go after the other," one of the soldiers advised.

"I'm sure his majesty the Emperor would like to meet this rebel, though," the leader smiled. "How about that? Would you like to meet the Emperor?"

Images of Keiji flashed before your eyes. You could see him laughing at your disguise, telling the soldiers to leave you two alone, approaching you with those cold eyes....
You gave a shout and shoved your knee into the leader's stomach with all your might. He bent forward in pain as you wrenched your arms away from the soldiers. Your eyes on fire, you charged at the soldier standing closest to you. You were furious and terrified at the same time. The only thing you could think of and see was Keiji laughing maliciously as he trapped you in a dark room.

Some of the soldiers fled with their horses, and before your rage had finally subsided, you were alone.

"Akio! What were you thinking?!" Takumi shouted, jumping out of his tree.

"I wanted to give you time to run away," you murmured, suddenly exhausted. You rested the tip of your bloodstained sword on the ground, breathing heavily.

A strong pair of arms suddenly grabbed you from behind. Your fingers fumbled around the hilt of your katana, but it slipped from your grasp. The leader of the soldiers was still alive! He held one arm around your waist and pressed a sword against your throat with the other hand.

"I knew your partner hadn't escaped yet," the leader said. "Ninjas are too loyal for that."

"Release him," Takumi commanded, his voice low and threatening as he drew his katana.

"Careful, my masked friend. I'll slice off his head if you try to attack me," the leader warned.

"Master Takumi..." you whispered, afraid to speak but needing to tell him something.

"Silence!" the soldier shouted, pressing the sword against your throat.

"What do you want in exchange for his life?" Takumi asked, angry but unable to do anything.

"You, of course. Either your friend dies, or you quietly accompany me to the castle," the leader stated simply.

"Master Takumi..." you tried again.

"Silence!" the leader barked.

"You promise to let him go free? No harm will be done to him," Takumi carefully says.

"Master Takumi," you finally said loudly. "I would rather die than be a burden to you." Taking a chance, you reached up with both hands and grabbed the blade of the soldier's katana. The blade sliced into your fingers as you pulled it away just long enough to slip out of his grasp.

"You're a dead man!" Takumi shouted, thrusting his katana into the soldier's heart. As the man crumpled to the ground, you cried out in pain from your bloodied hands. Takumi immediately removed his shirt, tearing it into long strips and wrapping them around your fingers. The blood quickly soaked through, and Takumi wrapped them again.

"You need help," Takumi decided. "We're too far away from the village. We'll have to continue to the camp." Takumi grabbed your bundle and bent low to the ground. "Climb on my back."

"What?" you asked in surprise, still wincing with pain.

"Now, Akio! I will carry you the rest of the way!" he commanded. Reluctantly, you climbed onto his back, resting your arms on his bare shoulders. You felt confused more than ever. Did you just risk your life to save the man who killed your family? Wasn't your objective to kill Takumi? What had you said and done?! Those words had just spilled out of your mouth. Was it a sin to love Takumi? It should be impossible to feel this way about him, but you couldn't control your pounding heart.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

"How are you feeling, Akio?" Takumi asked after a few minutes of silence.

"Fine," you murmured although your hands were burning in pain.

"I don't think we have a chance of reaching the camp tonight. The rest of the men will wait for us," Takumi said. The sun had already set, and Takumi was probably tired. You slid off his back and sat under a tree.

"I'm sorry," you sighed. "It's my fault. I'm slowing us down."

"Don't apologize," Takumi shook his head. "First you risked your life to give me a chance to escape, and then you nearly killed yourself so that you would not be held hostage. You are the most courageous man I have ever met."

"It's nothing. I'm sure any of your men would have done the same," you refused to meet his gaze.

"They have specific instructions to preserve themselves above all else, even if my life is in danger," Takumi replied.

"Even so, it's nothing the most loyal friend wouldn't do!" you protested, feeling even more uneasy.

"Humble as you may be, your actions have meant more to me than you can ever imagine," Takumi said.

"Master Takumi-" you tried to interrupt, afraid he would say something you'd both regret.

"For this, I shall give you something you have often pestered me for: a rare glimpse of my face," Takumi continued, turning around and carefully unwrapping the black cloths. "Only you and one other will have seen my face in many years. I hope it pleases you." Takumi turns around, revealing a face more handsome than you remembered. Silence ensued as you stared at his face, seeing it in an entirely different light now that you know the man behind it.

"My scar appalls you, then," Takumi finally said, misinterpreting the silence. He turned away.

"Master Takumi, wait!" you found your voice at last, but it was too late.

"I understand," Takumi said, bowing his head. He walked away into the forest, leaving you alone.