The Cloaked Samurai

The Scar

Takumi was gone. You couldn't believe it. You were all alone again. You draw your knees to your chest and bury your face in your hands. You knew Takumi was sensitive about his scar! How could you do something like that to him? He thought you cared about him, but when he tried to open his heart, all you could do was stare. Why couldn't you have said something? You could have just said, "Your face is very handsome," or even, "I finally get to see your face!"

You felt lonely for the first time in weeks. Your family was gone, the dojo was far away, and now Takumi had left. Takumi had been more than a friend. It's hard to imagine living without him now.

Maybe it was better this way. He was the one who killed your family in the first place. He threatened Farrah. He would kill you if he knew who you really were, both as Lady _____ and the Cloaked Samurai. There was no way you could be together. He would hate you if he really knew.

You would be betraying your family. Maybe you should give up your goal to kill Takumi. Maybe letting him go would be enough. Would your family be mad at you? Would they be satisfied? Could they rest in peace without revenge?

Takumi was determined to get his revenge. Perhaps you should just tell him who you really were. Then things could be settled. You could talk to him and offer a truce. He killed your family, and you killed his friends. Could all be forgiven? Would he draw his sword and attack you despite the weeks you've spent together?

Either way, once you admitted your true identity, Takumi would no longer want to be around you. Even if he agreed to not kill you, he would undoubtedly want to stop traveling with you. You would be all alone again, running from Keiji by yourself. You had no family, no friends, no lover.

There was nothing you could do about your family or about Farren and Farrah, but Takumi might still be close. Was there a chance to make things better? Could you at least right the wrongs you committed tonight?

You grabbed your things and stood up, running in the direction Takumi had taken. You raced through the forest, your heart pounding and your mind racing. "Please, let him not be too far away. Let me find him. Let everything be okay."

Finally, you heard the sound of running water. In the distance, you saw a stream. A figure was knelt by its waters. You dropped your bundle and your katana as you drew closer. The figure was Takumi. He was staring silently at his reflection.

You stood still behind him until he noticed your reflection. He turned around rapidly, his eyes accusing and hurt.

"You dare approach me?" he growled, slowly rising.

"Master Takumi, please let me explain!" you beg.

"I am no master to you. You are no longer a friend or a comrade," Takumi said angrily. "This scar is a part of me. It represents my past, and if you can't accept that, you can no longer be around me."

"I wasn't staring because of your scar!" you tried to explain.

"Liar!" Takumi shouted, hurling a throwing star at you. You ducked, and the star flew past you, sticking into the bark of a tree.

"I was staring because I thought you were handsome," you whispered. You hung your head in shame. "I knew you were sensitive about showing your face and that you finally trusted me. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you."

"Handsome?" Takumi repeated dubiously.

"I think... I might be... falling in love with you. You must think I'm disgusting," you murmured, still looking at the ground. You're supposed to be a man. Confessing your feelings like this was probably nothing short of twisted and sick in Takumi's eyes. There was silence for a few awkward moments.

"If what you say is true..." Takumi sighed suddenly. "I don't know if you've made me the happiest man in the world or the most confused."

You looked up hopefully. If only you could explain that you were a woman! Perhaps you should take the risk....

"I always told myself that if I ever fell in love, I would pursue that love no matter what the cost. I never dreamed something like this would happen," Takumi continued. "It doesn't matter any more if it is wrong or right. I only know what I feel."

Your face grew hot. "I... I don't know what to say," you stuttered.

"I know I shouldn't feel this way about another man, but my feelings have grown so strong that I can no longer deny them," Takumi said, stepping forward.

"Master Takumi, I-" you started to say, but Takumi pressed a finger to your lips, silencing you. Gently, he traced the contour of your lips. You closed your eyes, and before you knew it, his lips were pressed against yours.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Takumi finally lifted his lips away from yours. Slowly, you sat down together. Takumi kissed your cheek, his hand stroking your hair.

"What about... the woman?" you whispered. "The one with the Cloaked Samurai."

"She means nothing to me now. Besides, you taste better," Takumi replied with a sly smile.

"How will we... how will we explain this to everyone else?" you pushed him away. He only wrapped his arms around you.

"It doesn't matter. If they don't accept it, they can leave. I only need you now," Takumi murmured, leaning forward until your back is pressed against the ground.

"No one will accept this. I don't know if I accept this," you sighed, closing your eyes. You were confused and dizzy. He thought you were a man! He killed your family! What were you doing?

Takumi shushed you, meeting your lips again for another kiss. You were caught between what you knew was right and what you wanted to be true.

Takumi kissed you until you could barely breathe. At last, he pulled away and lay beside you on the ground. His arms still wrapped around you, he fell asleep. You watched his chest slowly rise and fall.

Maybe Takumi was right. Maybe you could just forget the past and move forward. You could have a bright and happy future together....

You suddenly noticed his scar again. You remembered what he had said about his past always being a part of him. Was that true? Would you always carry the burden of revenge with you?

You were betraying every value you once held dear. You were obliged to kill Takumi. It was what any honorable man would do, what a true samurai would do.

You reached out with your right hand until you finally grasped the hilt of your katana. Silently, you were able to draw it from its sheath without sitting up. You held it above Takumi's neck. You paused, watching him sleep. Without his mask, he looked like an angel. His face was so sweet and gentle when he slept.

You dropped your katana on the ground. You can't bring yourself to kill him. Besides, it was cowardly to kill a man when he slept, especially when he was so at ease and peaceful.

No, you would face this problem when the sun rose. For tonight, you would enjoy his company and warm embrace for the last time.