The Cloaked Samurai

The Declaration

Miyoko's health slowly improved over the next few days, but you couldn't relax. Takumi could show up any moment. Then you would not only have to face the truth but undoubtedly a fight to the death. Would he have his men hold you down as he sliced off your head? No, he was too proud for that. Surely he would rather fight his ex-lover until one killed the other.

It was extremely clear that the ninjas despise you. They gave Miyoko as much food as she wanted but left you to choke on a stale crust of bread. They made sure she was comfortable, but you had to sleep outside in the cold. They treated her as if she was made of glass, but they shoved you around until you had bruises. You had to keep reminding yourself that this was all for Miyoko. She deserved special treatment for once, and you would be seeking forgiveness for the rest of your life. You were responsible for the slaughtering of her village, and you killed her brother right in front of her eyes. How could she have possibly forgiven you for that? You couldn't bring yourself to ask her, fearing her rejection or secret hatred. As irritating as she could be, she seemed to be the only person left who didn't want you dead. Why? Why was she the only one not bent on revenge?

"Their leader is going to kill you, isn't he?" Miyoko whispered one night when all the ninjas were asleep.

"Yes, he will," you murmured.

"Cloaked Samurai, we have to leave," she decided. "It's nice having food and a place to sleep, but I don't want you to die."

"Why not?" you suddenly asked, unable to hold it in any longer. "Why don't you hate me, Miyoko? Why don't you fear and despise me like the rest of the world?"

"I don't know," Miyoko shrugged as she silently gathered your things. "You have a good heart, and you always do what's right."

You want to argue with her and remind her that you killed her brother, but you couldn't speak.

"We should leave now while they're asleep," Miyoko whispered.

"They'll wake up once we start moving," you sighed.

"Then we'll run, and you can kill the ones who chase us," she replied easily. You decided to steal one of their few horses. You carefully lifted Miyoko onto the front of the horse and mounted behind her. You had never ridden astride before, but you quickly discovered how much easier it was to keep your balance this way.

By the time the first ninja tried to attack, you and Miyoko were already racing off into the night.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

You traveled from town to town, seeking shelter wherever it was offered. Most turned you away, but a few took pity on you and gave you something to eat or information about a cave nearby.

It was continually stressful to be on the run. You had to worry about attacks from royal soldiers during the day and ninjas during the night. You had a few close calls but managed to escape every time. You felt like you had just been lucky, and some day, this would all catch up to you.

"I wonder what happened to my secret admirer?" Miyoko said casually one day.

"He's dead," you reminded her bluntly.

"But maybe he isn't? I mean, maybe he didn't live in the village. Maybe he delivered the letters and went to live somewhere else," she replied.

"Maybe. You'll never know."

"I used to pretend they were from you."

"What?!"

"The letters. Before I met you, I'd dream of the day you'd come rescue me."

"This is not a fairy tale."

"But you came, didn't you? The mysterious Cloaked Samurai, haunted by his past and full of tragic secrets, picked me of all girls. Me!"

"I didn't just pick you. If you weren't carrying Emperor Keiji's child, I wouldn't have taken you in."

"But you want a wife some day, don't you?"

"No. Not at all."

"But the clothes. You have a silk kimono and veils and a jeweled comb. Where did you get them? Did you have a beloved in the past?"

"Stop this nonsense immediately," you commanded sternly.

"Then if you didn't pick me, then why not me? Fate obviously brought us together!" Miyoko insisted, her words and expression growing desperate. "Don't you see? We're meant for each other!"

"Love is not some game of destiny where everything works out perfectly in the end!" you shouted. "You're being naive and childish. Love doesn't last forever, and you certainly don't have a soulmate!"

"All this time we've spent together! Doesn't it mean anything to you?" Miyoko cried. You contemplated this. Yes, you had grown closer to her over the past few months, and you would give your life to protect her. You enjoyed her company and put her happiness above your own, but it wasn't love. It was only a deep friendship. If you hadn't experienced that sweet comfort of Farren's arms or tingling sensation of Takumi's lips, you would probably have confused this friendship for love as well.

"It's not love," you told her, turning away.

"It is, and even if you never believe it, I'll follow you to the ends of the earth!" Miyoko swore, tears dripping down her face. You sighed and shook your head at her dramatic declaration of love. She was still so young and had so much to learn. Then again, it probably had less to do with her age and more to do with her lack of experience. Once again, if you were still living in the mansion with your family, you would probably act the same way.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

From that point on, your relationship was sufficiently uncomfortable. Miyoko sulked and moped after your rejection, and you gave her as much room as possible. You didn't want her to be too upset, but you had to concentrate on more important things such as survival and avoid your enemies. You were sure you would reach the palace before Miyoko had her baby, but suddenly, things changed. Miyoko started complaining of pain in her abdomen and back, and she began bleeding periodically. You were extremely worried, but you didn't know anything about pregnancy or childbirth. You searched in vain for a village or town that would help her, but they all turned you away.

"It hurts really bad," Miyoko moaned, clutching her sides. "What's wrong? What's happening?"

You had no answer for her, but you doubled your efforts to find help. Finally, after a few days of her bleeding, Miyoko's water broke.

"It's too soon," you murmured, knowing that something was definitely wrong.

"I'm scared!" Miyoko whimpered, hunching over. She was riding the horse as you led it, but her pain was so great you were afraid she might fall off.

"We'll find someone to help you," you promise, although you're really just saying it to make her feel better. You were inwardly panicking and praying to find at least shelter for her to give birth. You realized that you didn't care whether or not the baby survived to bear witness to Keiji's perversion. You just wanted Miyoko to be all right.