The Cloaked Samurai

The Wedding

The sound of horses' hooves startled you. You weren’t sure if you had been asleep or in a daze, but you quickly stood up and saw soldiers riding towards you. Your hand instinctively flew to your waist, but it grasped only empty air. You had buried your katana with Miyoko and now had no way to protect yourself.

Farrah ran outside at the sound of the horses, standing protectively in front of you.

"Leave him alone!" she commanded as the soldiers surrounded you. She was suddenly fierce and fiery, refusing to give up without a fight. She secretly pressed a dagger into your hand, and you tucked it away.

"It seems my intuition was right," a sickeningly familiar voice said. You had dreamed many times about him, but the real thing was always much worse. Keiji rode forward, looking different than the last time you had seen him. He now wore the glorious clothes and crown of an emperor.

"Step aside, woman," he commanded. "You are protecting a dangerous criminal."

"I will not," Farrah said firmly. Keiji motioned to his men, and they dismounted their horses and roughly grabbed Farrah.

"Keep your hands off of her!" you shouted angrily, doing your best to shove them away. Without a katana, you were weak and useless.

"Stand still, Cloaked Samurai!" Keiji suddenly commanded. He peered at you closely. His eyes widened in amazement, and he began to laugh. "Unbelievable! This cursed warrior spreading fear and terror across the land is a woman! I never imagined my bride would become the most hated man in the kingdom!"

The soldiers stared at you in shock and disbelief.

"Where is your katana, Lady _____?" Keiji grinned. "Have you given up your rebellious ways at last?" His face and voice suddenly softened. "It must have been so hard for you, living on your own and killing to protect yourself."

"Don't pretend to feel sorry for me," you growled angrily.

"Let the record show that Lady _____ was kidnapped by the Cloaked Samurai the night her family perished in the fire. She managed to escape and returned to the palace to resume her rightful position," Keiji said loudly. In those simple words, your entire story changed. You were no longer the strong, fearless warrior but a damsel in distress. Now you would not face punishment for all you had done, but you would have to marry Keiji.

"Shall we take her to the palace, your Highness?" one of the men asked, grabbing your arm.

"Do not lay a finger on her!" Keiji suddenly shouted furiously. "No one but me is to touch her!" The soldier quickly stepped away, releasing you. Keiji reached down from his horse and picked you up as if you weighed nothing.

"No! Let him go!" Farrah shouted, struggling against the soldiers and apparently so accustomed to considering you a man that she forgot the truth.

Keiji paid no attention to her, setting you in front of him and kicking his horse. You thought you could still hear Farrah begging for your freedom all the way to the palace.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Keiji led you to your own personal quarters in the palace and commanded the servants to bring you everything you wanted.

"We will wed this evening," he announced. "Until then..." He kissed your hand, slowly looking into your eyes. His gaze chilled you to the bone. He finally left, and you suddenly felt weak. Everything you feared was now a reality. Miyoko was dead, and you would be Keiji's wife, trapped in the walls of the palace and forever fulfilling his twisted desires.

The servants led you around your quarters as if you were only a child. You took a long bath; the warm water was filled with petals and blossoms that had been saved especially for this occasion. Once you were dry, the servants dressed you in a white silk kimono. At your request, they saved your old samurai clothes (and the dagger hidden within its folds) and placed them in a drawer for safekeeping.

Your tan skin was covered in white paint, and an elaborate gold headpiece sat upon your head. A white hood finished the ensemble, casting your face into shadow.

Time passed quickly, and you found yourself unable to even eat. Nothing the servants prepared looked appetizing even though you hadn't had a real meal in many months. The poor servants did everything they could to cheer you up, bringing in musicians and performers, but no one could remove the sorrowful look in your eyes or make you smile. They whispered among themselves that being the Cloaked Samurai’s prisoner for so long had changed you forever.

Finally, the time came to go to the shrine. The servants led you outside to the waiting carriage. The villagers were gathered all around, cheering and shouting joyfully. You sank into a corner of the carriage, making sure the windows were covered. The villagers followed the procession all the way to the shrine. You kept your eyes down as you walked into the shrine. The doors were shut behind you, blocking out the sounds of the villagers. The only ones allowed in the shrine were Keiji's family and his closest members of court.

You stood beside Keiji, facing the altar as the priest asked the spirits to bless your union. Everything about Keiji seemed solemn and ceremonial. He was an expert at hiding all inner thoughts. You stood listlessly as the ceremony continued, feeling separated from reality. If only this was just another nightmare!

Keiji and you drank nine cups of sake together, and the bonding was complete. You were now Empress _____ and Keiji's wife.

The cheering began again as the doors to the shrine were opened. As you walked to the carriage, you stared into the setting sun, which filled the sky with scarlets and crimsons. You knew there was only one path left for you.

The carriage took you back separately to the palace. Once in your quarters, the servants helped you change into a kimono of red silk beautifully embroidered with purple irises. They tried to lead you to the room where the wedding celebration would be held, but you stopped at the door.

"Leave me alone for a few minutes," you commanded. They bowed respectfully and closed the door. You quickly went to where your samurai clothes were and dug out your dagger. You knelt on the ground facing away from the door. You tied your legs together so that your body would be found in a dignified position. You took a few deep breaths, trembling as you held the dagger. You tried to convince yourself that jigai was quick, painless, and honorable. You carefully felt the side of your neck, trying to locate the vein you would need to slice. You closed your eyes, picturing the faces of your family and Miyoko. They were waiting for you in heaven. You would be much happier; there would be no more pain or suffering or loneliness.

Finally, you lifted the dagger with one hand and slashed at your neck.

Suddenly, the door crashed open. You dropped the dagger in surprise, opening your eyes and staring in amazement as a ninja ran into the room. He pointed his katana at you but paused, his eyes searching your face. Even with his mask on, you would recognize Takumi anywhere. He was positively speechless, recognizing you as Akio and the woman he loved but knowing your formal name to be Empress _____.

"Are you not the Cloaked Samurai?" he finally whispered.

"I am both Empress _____ and Akio," you replied. "After my family was killed, I dressed as a man and became the Cloaked Samurai."

"And the night... at the dojo..."

"By luck... or fate... you saw me in my former clothes of a lady. When you knew me as Akio and I said I killed the woman you loved, I lied. I am that woman as well as the samurai."

"And Empress _____," Takumi whispered in amazement, lowering his katana. His eyes trailed down to the dagger and your bound legs. His eyes returned to your face, full of concern. "Were you..."

"I was about to commit suicide," you said, trying to sound brave. "I refuse to be empress."

Takumi slowly took off his mask, revealing his scar. "Don't make the same mistake I did," he warned. "Any man can die. Only a true warrior has the strength to live."

"Then I'll let you kill me," you responded. "That's what you've been trying to do for months now, isn't it? You can finally avenge the deaths of your comrades."

Takumi knelt beside you and suddenly took you in his arms.

"These harsh months have only taught me that revenge will bring neither happiness nor satisfaction. It will do nothing for the deep aching in my heart," he whispered, burying his face in your shoulder. "The only thing I've wanted is to finally be with you again. If you will not accept me as a lover, Empress _____, then make me your slave. I swear I will serve you forever if only to live in your shadow."

His words brought new pain to your heart, piercing through your numbness. You wrapped your arms around him and kissed his head, inhaling his familiar, comforting scent.

"To think you were a woman this entire time!" Takumi laughed hoarsely, gently wiping the white paint from your face. He kissed you deeply, but a distant shout made you both look up.

"The servants guarding your door have undoubtedly returned with help," Takumi whispered hurriedly. "Come with me, Akio. We can escape this prison!"

"I am already Emperor Keiji's wife! They will search for me just as they did before! We can't run forever!" you argued.

"If I stay, they will kill me. We must leave," Takumi said urgently. "Please, Akio!"

"Go," you commanded softly, untying your legs. "Escape while you still can."

"Akio..." Takumi searched my face in confusion and hurt.

"I am the only one close enough to the Emperor to kill him. I can finally accomplish your mission for you and remove him from power," you explained, standing up in determination and hiding your dagger inside your kimono.

"Are you mad? Revenge is pointless! You condemn us both to a life of misery if you don't come with me!" Takumi protested.

"Leave now," you demanded sharply, turning away. It took all your will-power to choke back your emotions. Takumi grabbed your shoulders and placed one last kiss on your cheek.

"I love you. Goodbye," he whispered. He darted from the room, and not a moment too soon. A few minutes later, servants and guards stormed the room.

"I have persuaded the ninja to leave," you explained calmly to the confused servants. You straightened your back and held your head high. "Take me to my husband."