The Cloaked Samurai

The Epilogue

"Ash, come on! We're going to be late!" your sister comes into your room. She is already wearing a black strapless dress and a pair of black slingbacks.

"I hate dressing up," you grumble, looking down at your gray pants and white blouse. You were always more of the tomboy while Jessica loves fashion and clothes.

"It doesn't matter. You look great!" Jessica says, grabbing your arm. She tries to pull you out the door, but you stop.

"Sarah? Did you find my blazer?" you call.

"Here it is," your maid replies, coming up the stairs with your gray blazer in her hands. "Good luck today, Miss Ashley."

"Thanks. I'm not doing anything though," I roll your eyes, putting on the blazer. You just have to sit still and make polite conversation and eat whatever disgusting meal the White House chef comes up with, although you would much rather just go to McDonald's.

"All right! Let's go!" Jessica says as soon as you are ready, pulling you into the hallway and down the stairs.

"Why are you so excited, anyways?" you stare at your sister.

"Duh! Chris will be there!" Jessica grins, her face lighting up. "He's a total babe!"

"Ugh," you groan. Jessica had been flirting with Chris, the president's oldest son, for weeks and claims the only reason he hasn't asked her out is to keep publicity down.

"You look great, honey. Are you ready to go?" your mother asks as you walk into the entryway.

"Yeah, yeah," you mumble.

"Just behave yourself today," Mom says, brushing a piece of lint off your collar. "You know how important this lunch is for your father."

"Hey! How are my two beautiful girls?" Dad asks, walking into the entrance hall with the beaming smile that is on all his promotional ads.

"It's time to go, dear," Mom tells him, looking at her watch. "We don't want to be late."

"All right. Everyone, brace yourselves," Dad says, taking a deep breath and straightening his tie. As soon as he opens the front door, the cameras go off.

"Governor Wyndham!" they all shout. "Governor Wyndham! Tell us what you think about the rumors! Are you aware that your approval rating has significantly dropped? Is this meeting with the President an attempt to save face? Governor Wyndham, sir! We need answers!"

You push past them and climb into your limousine, but not before you notice one familiar figure in the crowd.

"Ashley! Hi!" she shouts, jumping up and down and waving her arms. She continues trying to get your attention, but you groan and look away.

"Who is that, honey? Do you know her?" Mom asks as the limo started driving away.

"Yeah, her name is Mandy. She's a freshman at my school, and she won't leave me alone. She follows me around all day," you explain, rolling your eyes.

"I think it's cute," Jessica teases, poking you in the ribs. You ignore her and stare out the window, thinking about what the journalists had been shouting.

"Do you think we should get bodyguards?" you ask suddenly.

"Bodyguards?" Dad laughs. "What made you say that?"

"Well, those journalists were saying-" you start to explain.

"Oh, honey, they'll say anything to get a story," Mom assures you. "Don't listen to them. It's all just gossip and nonsense."

You turn away, watching the scenery roll by. You have this weird feeling that you have been in this situation before. It's like déjà vu, only you feel more sentimental and nostalgic than that.

The limo stops at a red light, and you look at the line of stores. There is a shoe store, a hair salon, firearm training, a sandwich restaurant…

You lean forward and take a closer look at the training school. Through the window, you can see a guy and a girl about your age showing some students how to aim their guns. You feel positive that you have met them before, but you can't say where.

"Jessica, do they look familiar at all?" you whisper to her, pointing at them.

"No. You know I've never been interesting in guns. That's for guys," Jessica wrinkles her nose.

You frown and continue watching them until the limo begins driving away. You feel sad for some reason, as if you know something tragic about them but can't quite remember what it is. In any case, you decide to go back later. Even if they don't recognize you, you might be able to start taking lessons. You have always wanted to learn how to use a gun.

The limo stops again at another red light. This time, your window is facing an alley. You can see a group of guys inside, some kind of street gang. They are smoking and glaring at your limo, although you know they can't see through the tinted windows. One of them catches your eye. Something about this guy takes your breath away and makes your heart skip a beat. Even as the limo starts moving, you feel like you have just experienced love at first sight. You probably will never see him again, but you are drawn to him just the same.

This entire day so far has been like a dream. You feel you are reliving something, a memory you have forgotten until it is acted out again. You have never really believed in reincarnation, but seeing these people makes you wonder. Do you have a past life? Are some things just destined to happen over and over again? Did you mess something up in the past, and are you now getting a second chance to make things right?

You sigh and turn to look out the window again. You guess you'll never know.