The Cloaked Samurai

The Interview

In the bustle over preparing for the wedding ceremony, it was only too easy for you to slip away. You tied back your hair, tightly wrapped cloths around your chest to make it flatter, and pulled on the loose white shirt and red pants. In the mirror, you saw that you looked exactly like a young man.

You sneaked out of the house and into the crowded streets of the village. No one seemed to recognize you, so you made it to the dojo unnoticed. You slid open the door and were immediately greeted by Farrah.

"Welcome. Are you here for lessons?" she asked. She was like a different person now that she didn't know you were a lady.

"Yes," you answered in a low voice.

"What's your name? I don't think I've ever seen you around the village before," she said suspiciously.

"My name is Akio. My family and I are new to the village," you replied, prepared for this.

"You are too young to have a family of your own?"

"Yes, I am unmarried."

"Why do you want to fight?"

"I want to protect my family. I am my father's only son. My father has never believed in fighting, but in this time of trouble and rebellion, we could easily be caught in the middle of an attack."

"To protect? That's a good reason. Remember it," Farrah advised. "I will get my brother Farren, the leader of the dojo."

"Will the lessons begin now?" you asked hopefully.

"No. He will see whether or not you can be taught anything. Some people simply aren't made for fighting. Farren will determine that. Please wait for a moment," she said. She left the room, and you became nervous that your identity might be discovered. Would Farren realize that you were a woman?

Just as you were starting to think you should go home and forget about this, Farrah returned.

"Please follow me, Mr. Akio," she instructed. She led you to the practice room you had seen the day before. Farren was standing inside with two bamboo poles. He threw one at you, and you knocked it away with the back of your right forearm.

"You were supposed to catch it," he chuckled, behind over to pick it up and then handing it to you. You managed to keep yourself from blushing, knowing it would be a sign of girlishness, muttering, "I'm sorry."

"Now, attack me and try to touch the center of my chest with your staff," Farren instructed.

"You mean, using it like a sword?" you asked in confusion. He nodded, but you still felt a little hesitant. You thrust the bamboo staff at his chest, but he knocked it away with his own staff. You tried again and again, but he blocked your attack every time. You became more forceful, stepping forward and advancing on him in your attacks.

"That's it. Don't hold back. Put your weight into it," Farren encouraged. You started to attack more creatively, changing your stance and attacking from the side. Farren easily stepped around every attempt.

"Feel the rhythm of it. Fighting is a dance. You must move to the beat," Farren said. You tried to find a rhythm, but it was difficult.

"Relax your muscles. You're too tense. Releasing that tension will help you move at ease, gracefully and quickly," Farren told you. You remembered the times your mother had hired an instructor to teach you to dance. You relaxed and began to act more natural.

"There, feel that? You're starting to attack more smoothly," Farren smiled.

"I've almost got him!" you thought, preparing for the final blow. Farren dodged, throwing you off balance.

"Don't get cocky. Never think you've won before you actually have. You must be confident but humble," Farren warned. You concentrated even more on the fight. Suddenly, you were the only two ones in the world. Your movements became swift and fluid, like water. You spun around and knocked the staff from his hands. It clattered to the floor, and you touched his chest with the tip of your bamboo pole. He stood still, looking shocked. Farrah gasped; you had forgotten she was still in the room.

"What a surprise. You're the first person to ever do that," Farren broke the moment with a smile.

"What? But I thought that-" you began.

"Everyone else was unable, but I let a certain few train because I could see they had the will it takes to fight. It appears you have not only a strong will but talent as well. If it isn't a problem for you, I would like to privately instruct you," Farren said. You were stunned. You hadn't expected this.

"How about every afternoon excepting Saturdays and Sundays?" Farrah asked.
"That would be great!" you finally found your voice.

"Wonderful. We won't be working with actual katanas for some time. If you are fighting to protect, we must pray you will never have to kill," Farren said. "I am sorry, but I must leave you. I have a class starting soon, so you are dismissed for the day."
"Goodbye, teacher," you bowed respectfully.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

"But my lady, you could be killed!" Maemi protested. You had decided to tell your maid of the plan. You would need some help to pull this off.

"Don't tell anyone! I assure you that you will be richly rewarded. Money, clothes, jewelry, anything you'd like," you told her earnestly.

"I would never betray you, my lady, and if I may express my opinion..."

"Of course you may."

"It is a very noble thing you do. I admire your courage."

"I hope I will never need to fight. Also, you must tell me anything you hear of the rebel groups."

"Yes, my lady," she nodded. She took your samurai clothes and left to hide them. You went to the room in the house where Maemi had told you your mother was waiting.

"_____! Where have you been all this time?" she asked.

"I'm sorry, Mama. I have decided to take some time every day for private meditation and self-reflection," you replied easily, this also being a lie you planned.

"How mature of you!" your mother smiled approvingly. "I am pleased with your decision. All right, I won't bother you then." She turned back to the servant she had been conversing with. You couldn't help but grin. Everything was working out perfectly.