The Cloaked Samurai

The Offensive

You ate your lunch a little more calmly today, but you still devour as much as possible. According to your father, you would be going to visit the prince in two days. You could tell Kioko was having trouble swallowing her happy squeals for the sake of politeness.

A maid walked in with another plate of food. She suddenly tripped, and the plate flew out of her hands. Sensing it, you whirled around and knocked the food away before it could hit you. Everyone stared at you in amazement.

"Sachi, clean that up immediately," your father commanded sternly.

"Yes," the maid murmured, quickly picking up the mess. You turned back to your food silently when you heard a loud giggle. You glanced at your sister, who began coughing to hide her laughter.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

"Today's lesson will teach you to attack. Instinctively, you already know most of the basics," Farren said. You nodded, your hand tightening around your bamboo pole.

"The only limits of attacks are your own imagination. The main places you want to attack are the arms, the legs, the neck, and the stomach," Farren continued, picking up his own pole. "Begin attacking me, and keep in mind to be fluid yet forceful."

You started swinging the pole at him, being more aggressive than the first time you fought. You tried to vary your attacks, but he always found a way to block them.

"Be more aggressive. Feel the fire burning within you. No, don't pause to rest. Keep attacking and wear me down. Even more force!" Farren encouraged. You tried and tried, but he was never happy. He finally attacked to show you how it was done. The force of his blow sent your pole flying out of your hands to the other side of the room. You stared at it in shock.

"Growl at me," Farren suddenly commanded.

"Uh..." you weren't sure if he was joking or not.

"Give me your best growl. Make me scared," he challenged.

"Grrrrrrr...." you growled, a little embarrassed.

"Louder! Be aggressive!" he shouted.

"GAR!" you growled louder this time.

"Not good enough! Come on, Akio, I know you can do this!"

"GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!" you yell and growl at the top of your lungs.

"That's it! Now put that dynamic energy into your attack!" Farren said, walking behind you. "Let me help."

He put his arms and hands over yours, pressing against your back. You could feel your face growing hotter. If you really were a man, this wouldn't be as awkward. You tried to hide your discomfort.

"That's it. Use all of the strength in your arms," Farren said, directing your arms as you practiced. You realized his arms were coming dangerously close to touching your chest area. What if he noticed you were a woman? Panic took over the embarrassment, and you wish more than ever that he'd end the lesson. Your muscles tightened.

"Just relax. Remember to flow," Farren reminded you. Unable to bear it any longer, you broke away from his hold.

"I'm sorry, teacher," you stuttered, bowing and trying to hide your blushing face. "I must go."

You could feel Farren's eyes on your back as you left the room and ran away from the dojo. Even though you were out of the situation, your face was still flushed.

"What is this?" you wondered, touching your face and feeling your heart pounding. "Why do I feel this way?"

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

"Someone looks like she's had a romantic encounter," Kioko whispered into your ear. You almost spilled the tea you were pouring.

"I thought you were done meditating a little earlier than usual. You weren't meditating today, were you?" she teased in a soft voice.

"Hush, sister," you shot her a reprimanding look, serving the tea.

"Who were you with? What happened?" she continued to bug you, obviously bored. You ignored her, taking a delicate sip of tea.

"I bet you were with a handsome young man, a samurai, who took you in his arms and pressed you against his strong, muscled chest," Kioko whispered with a mischievous grin. You felt your face getting hot again, betraying you.

"Am I right?" Kioko's eyes were dancing.

"Kioko, shut up!" you finally set down your tea cup with a loud noise, the tea splashing out.

For what seems like the thousandth time that day, everyone stared at you.

"I.. I'm sorry," you blushed, averting your eyes.