The Cloaked Samurai

The Threat

For the first time, you were a little hesitant to go to your lesson. You hoped Farren wouldn't say anything about what had happened. As Maemi helped you get ready, you tried to think up an excuse.

"I remembered I needed to help Papa with something at home.... I wasn't feeling well... I was too worried to leave my family at home unprotected..." your mind raced as you approached the dojo. Before you could open the door, it slid open. Expecting Farrah, you smiled and said, "Hello!"

It wasn't Farrah, though. It was a tall, broad-shouldered man who looked very angry. He glared down at you through his mane of black hair.

"So, you're Akio," he sneered, spitting on the ground.

"Y-yes," you stuttered, not sure why he was mad at you.

"You're just a scrawny little boy, an amateur. Listen, pal, I've been working my butt off for six years to be Farren's top student, and then you just show up out of no where. Who do you think you are? You're no better than me!" he boasted proudly. You searched for the right words to say.

"Stay out of my way. I ain't gonna warn you again," the man growled, spitting again. He shoved you out of his way and stalked off into the streets. You stared after him, still trying to understand what had happened. Were you really Farren's star pupil? You didn't mean to upset anyone by coming here.

"Oh, there you are, Mr. Akio. Come with me," Farrah came to the door and grabbed your hand. She took you outside to the garden, where something new was standing tall and proud. A twenty foot wooden pole was erected in the center of the garden.

"Farren and I wanted to try something new. I want you to climb to the top of the pole," Farrah instructed. You approached the pole uneasily, wondering how you were supposed to climb it.

"Sorry! I almost forgot to give you these!" Farrah rushed towards you and gave you four small metal sticks. You turned back to the pole. Cautiously, you stuck one of the metal sticks in at the bottom. You put the other one near it but on the left side. The other two were placed slightly above it. You put your feet on the bottom sticks and your hands on the top ones. Lifting your right foot, you moved the stick up and shifted your body to the next sticks. You continued this process until you had climbed your way to the top of the pole. You pulled yourself up, sitting on the small top.

"Now stand up!" Farrah yelled up at you. You must've looked at her like she was crazy because she laughed.

"It's easier than it sounds. Farren and I have already done it," she encouraged you. Carefully, you rose to your feet. The pole began to sway as you slowly stepped to the top. Successful, you grinned down at Farrah.

"Good. Now stay there until Farren or I come say you can come down," Farrah said, walking back into the dojo.

"Wait, no! Come back!" you shouted, but she didn't listen to you. Was this punishment for running away yesterday? How long would it take?

The minutes passed by, and you tried to spend them in meditation. You got hotter, completely exposed to the sun. Sweat dropped from your face, and you were quickly tired out from trying to balance. Falling would mean a few broken bones though. How could you explain it to your parents?

More time passed. You could see the town from here and watched as people shopped and chatted with each other. No one noticed the lone figure on the top of the pole. Your muscles ached, and you struggled to not look at the ground far below. Your legs started to shake, and with every breeze, the pole swayed from side to side. You felt alone and wished Farren or Farrah was there to encourage you.

The sun sank lower in the sky. Your parents would start wondering where you were. Could Maemi stall and hold them off until you got back? You debated leaving the pole, but you felt bad because you left the lesson early yesterday. The pouch at your waist comes loose and drops to the ground. It burst open, and the silver coins you were paying to the dojo for the lessons spilled out.

Finally, when you were almost worn out, the door opened. Farren stepped out, smiling up at you.

"You're done with your endurance training for the day," he told you. You sighed in relief before you realized you didn't know how to get down. Climbing down wouldn't be as easy as getting up.

"Farrah and I just jumped across to the roof to get down," Farren smiled at your hesitation. You stared across at the roof. It was below you but at least four feet away. Would you make the jump?

There was only one way to find out. Taking a deep breath and trusting Farren, you leapt into the air. Your heart seemed to stop beating. What had you done?!

You landed safely on the roof, but you lost your balance and tumbled backwards. Trying to stop your feminine screams, you fell through the air. Strong arms wrapped around you, and your fall was broken as Farren leaped into the air and caught you. Still shaking with fear, you looked up at him with wide eyes.

"It's okay now, Akio. You're safe," he gave you his shining smile, making your cheeks burn.

"I'm sorry. I wasn't able to keep my balance," you apologized, pulling away from him.

"It was just a joke. I didn't expect you to jump. Farrah was going to bring out a ladder," Farrah explained. Your jaw dropped, and you felt dizzy. Your knees buckled, and once again, Farren caught you. He laughed, still amused at how gullible you were. You laughed with him, just thankful to be on the ground again.

The door slid open, and you stepped away from Farren, stopping your laughter.

"Would you like to join us for dinner, Mr. Akio?" Farrah asked. "The soup is almost ready."

"Dinner?! Oh no!" you exclaimed, realizing exactly how long you had been on that pole. "I have to go!"

You ran as fast as you could from the dojo, knowing you would never make it in time.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

You burst inside the servant's entrance, sprinting down the empty hallways. On your way, you ran into Maemi.

"Lady _____! Lord Natsu is coming! I was about to go get you!" Maemi whispered urgently. "And what will he do if he sees an unknown man in the house?!"

"Then we'll just hope he doesn't recognize me," you said, your mind already cooking up a plan. Footsteps echoed down the corridor.

"I'm sorry, Maemi," you murmured, doing the only thing you can think of. You grabbed her around the shoulders and pulled the fabric of her kimono down. She gave a small gasp as you embraced her.

"Maemi!" a stern voice shouted. You both looked up to see your father staring at you.

"So this is how you spend your afternoons, with your lover!" he exclaimed. He turned his eyes to you. "Go home, boy!"

"I'm sorry, my lord," you said in a low voice, running in the opposite direction. Once you were out of sight, you take another route to your room. You knew your father would give Maemi a strict talking to, leaving you with just enough time to change.

Your door slid open just as you finished putting the comb from Kioko into your hair.

"_____, it's time for dinner," your father said kindly, smiling down at you. You stood up, still a little wobbly from standing on the pole for so long.

"Yes, Papa," you nodded happily.