The Cloaked Samurai

The Prince

Today was your first day without lessons. You missed Farrah and Farren already, but Kioko kept you occupied.

"Come on, get up already!" she said impatiently, shaking you and trying to drag you out of bed. Maemi was bustling around, preparing your outfit for the day.

"We're going to see Prince Keiji today! Oh, I'm so excited!" Kioko practically bounced around the room.

"Really? I can't tell," you rolled your eyes, finally getting up. You were strapped up in your best kimono, a pale lavender with cherry blossom patterns. Kioko's was white with black and red butterfly patterns with accents of gray, crimson, and peridot. Her brown hair was carefully pinned up with matching flowers, and she was absolutely stunning.

After lunch, you traveled by carriage to the nearby castle. This time, it was Kioko who couldn't help but peek out the windows.

"Kioko, you shouldn't let your beautiful face be seen by these commoners," your mother scolded. Kioko blushed and turned away. You hardly noticed, lost in your thoughts. What were Farren and Farrah doing right now? Maybe they were cleaning the dojo or shopping for food. Maybe they taught a special class on Saturdays.

"_____, are you still mad at me?" Kioko asked softly.

"For... what?" you blinked.

"Well, you're just so quiet, and I thought you were still mad because I kept bothering you when you were serving tea. I know you aren't the kind of person to sneak off to a secret lover. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings," Kioko bowed her head in shame.

"No. It's nothing," you assured her. She smiled happily and touched your hair.

"You're wearing my comb," she said, obviously pleased.

The carriage stopped; you had finally arrived at the castle.

You were led to a grand room where a figure sat surrounded by his servants. He was tall and pale, but his face was kind. You all bowed respectfully, and Kioko's face became flushed.

"Prince Keiji, it is so nice to see you again," your father said formally.

"The pleasure is mine, Lord Natsu. Please, sit," the prince gestured to the cushions. Everyone took a seat, your father closest to the prince. The long discussion began. You were used to these kinds of visits by now: your father talked endlessly about politics and other affairs as everyone else listened politely and remained completely still.

Prince Keiji dismissed himself before the evening meal, saying he had lost his appetite in anticipation for the wedding. He cast a long, loving look in Kioko's direction before leaving the room.

During the meal, you found you needed to answer nature's call. You politely excused yourself and left to find the bathroom. After completing your business, you wandered through the halls of the castle. You tried to return to your family, but you were completely lost. Nothing looked familiar. Finally, you decided to just start opening doors, however rude it may be. At least if you found a person, you could ask to be pointed in the right direction.

The first room you tried was empty. The second one led to a dark room, seemingly empty until you saw a figure outlined in the shadows.

"I'm sorry," you apologized, about to close the door when the figure stopped you.

"Wait. It's all right. Come in, and sit down for a while," a familiar voice said. You obeyed, having no other choice, and left the door a little open to provide some light.

"Prince Keiji, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to disturb you," you apologized for the second time.

"Don't worry about it. I had been meaning to talk to you anyways," Prince Keiji smiled. You waited for him to continue.

"How do you feel about your sister's marriage?" he asked, watching you.

"I am happy for her, and for you. It will be a wonderful thing," you chose your words carefully.

"And do you have any plans for marriage? Have any suitors come asking for your hand?"

"No. None. I am not sure whom I shall marry."

"Your parents have not spoken to you about it?"

"No. I'm sure they'd be happy with whoever I married, within reason, of course."

"Of course."

You slowly realized that Prince Keiji was closer to you than he had started.

"Are you familiar with the history of royal families?" he asked, leaning closer. You leaned back, feeling uncomfortable. Being close to Farren only made you embarrassed, but being close to Prince Keiji made you feel sick.

"Only a little," you replied, more preoccupied with keeping your distance than answering his questions. Scooting back, you found yourself trapped against the wall. Prince Keiji's hand carefully closed the door, leaving you entirely in the dark. You couldn't object; he was a prince. Everyone was to obey him.

Prince Keiji pressed you against the wall, entirely on top of you.

"Are you aware that the prince or king usually takes a few concubines, often the siblings of the princess or queen?" he whispered into your ear, his lips brushing against it. He began kissing your ear, sucking on your earlobe.

"Prince Keiji, please stop!" you begged. You tried to get away, but his arms were too strong. His mouth covered yours, passionately kissing you. His tongue pressed against your lips, trying to enter your mouth. You turned your head to the side.

"I thought you loved Kioko!" you tried again, desperate to make him stop.

"I do," Keiji replied, kissing down your neck.

"Then why-"

"My heart doesn't stop my body for desiring others, and it desires you."

Keiji slipped your kimono below your shoulders, exposing more of your skin.

"Stop, I beg of you!" Struggling was no use against him. You were terrified, completely vulnerable to him. It made you feel sick and dizzy and afraid and confused. Prince Keiji licked your collarbone. His hands were starting to rub against places you wished he'd leave alone.

"Please!" you begged, afraid he'll go all the way. "Please stop!"

"Give me what I want, and I'll make it worth your while," the prince promised in a husky voice. You squeezed your eyes shut, the tears streaming out. You wished you could be somewhere else, anywhere. You tried to block out the scene. You felt powerless and afraid.

"Be aggressive!" Farren's voice cheered in your head. "Fight back! Don't let him have his way!"

A sudden rush of adrenaline pumped through your veins, and you shoved Keiji away. Clutching your kimono tightly, you ran out the door. You couldn't stand to be in this castle any longer; you sprinted outside, desperate to find a peaceful place in nature to erase this last event from your mind.

You ran along the grass until you heard the sounds of rushing water. You saw the river from the top of the hill, and you fell to your knees. You covered your face with your hands, sobbing and shaking. No one would believe you if you told them, and even if they did, they'd say the prince deserved to have his way. Everyone owed their loyalty to Prince Keiji. Would he punish you for running away? Would he try it again? Would everyone let him?

Your sobs grew louder as your fear increased. Your sister was so in love with this man everyone saw as kind and gentle. Was the man your sister loved the same as the one who tried to rape you? It didn't seem possible.

You suddenly felt a hand on your shoulder. You gasped and scooted away, looking up at the stranger. Night had fallen, and it was hard to see his face at first. You suddenly recognized him as Farren.

He gazed down at you with surprised yet sympathetic eyes.

"Young miss, what is the matter? Why are you crying?" Farren asked in concern. Still shaken from the experience, you backed away from him. You could only see Prince Keiji approaching you.

Farren knelt down and stretched out his hand. You weren't able to hide your scared whimpers. Farren pieced together what had probably happened.

"Ah, I see. Some foolish man was unable to control himself," he said, lowering his hand. He stared into the river, looking sad. "I wish there was some way I could tell you that you could trust me. I know we have only just met, and after a horrible experience, but I would never think of touching a woman in such a despicable manner."

The soothing sounds of the rushing water and his familiar, kind voice slowly eased your pain and took away your fear. You felt so safe with Farren, a startling contrast to Keiji.

Farren stood up, turning to walk away.

"I'm sure my presence here has only furthered to cause you fear. I'm sorry," he said in a soft voice.

"Wait," you whispered, sure he didn't hear you. Farren stopped and looked back at you in surprise.

"Don't leave," you said in a small voice, looking at the ground. Farren smiled kindly, sitting next to you in silent comfort until you finally decided it was time to return home.