Kissable And Quiet

Chapter 2

Adam sighed heavily as he paid for his stitches and stopped by a store to pick up a pack of Twizzlers and cocoa butter moisturizer. The house was completely silent when he let himself in and he called out for Emme. When he got no reply he ran to the bottom of the stairs and hollered her name up them.

“Jesus Christ, Adam, I’m not deaf,” she sighed as she appeared in the doorway of the kitchen.

“I thought something had happened to you,” he replied softly as walked up to her and gently placed his hand on her stomach.

He smiled to himself at the warmth radiating from her torso but it quickly turned to a frown when he looked up to see her crying.

“What’s wrong? God, what happened?! Did something go wrong when I was away?! I shouldn’t have left you alone for so long! I’m such a shit!” Adam cursed at himself as he sat her down on the bottom step of the stairs.

This just seemed to make her cry harder.

“All you wanted was a baby and I just have to act like a complete bitch about it! You look out for me and them the whole time and how do I repay you?! I throw a fucking vase at you!”

Adam was silent for a few seconds, letting it all sink in before he lowered himself onto his knees and drew her into his chest.

“Emme, shush, just relax, no biggie. Just take deep breaths, you’re okay.”

When she finally stopped crying and controlled her sniffling she looked up at him. And that’s when it hit him. She was scared shitless. And why wouldn’t she be?! She has not one but two living beings inside of her, depending on her for survival and in a few weeks she was going to have to push them out in what was bound to be an extremely painful experience and she has no control over the situation at all. And that’s what she was best at: control and keeping her head. Hell, that’s one of the main reasons she became a doctor and she couldn’t even do that now. Adam could tell that she was itching to get back to work, hating to sit idle and just hoped that once she saw their babies she would take full maternity leave before returning.

“I’m so sorry,” she whispered, her hazel eyes welling up with tears.

“Stop it, I’m the one who should be apologizing. You’ve enough on your plate at the moment, you don’t need me acting like a three year old and throwing hissy fits, I should be giving into every one of your whims.”

“Was it really bad?” she murmured as she pushed back his fringe and ran her fingers lightly over the bandage hiding the stitches.

“Nope,” he replied before gently placing his lips on hers.

“Take a bath with me,” she sighed.

He nodded and went up and ran the bath and got in. Emme came in a few seconds later and stripped down before carefully getting in. She let out a little groan of contentment before closing her eyes and leaning back into Adam’s chest.

“You always get the water right.”

He merely smiled before gently placing his hand on her stomach and running warm water over it.

“You pay more attention to that bump than me,” she mumbled with a smile and Adam placed a gentle kiss on her cheek.

“I like Shane and Maeve,” he said simply.

Emme nodded and sunk further into the tub, letting the water rise up to her collar bone and soak the waves that had managed to get out of her bun.

“Christian and Bella.”

“Sweetie, he’ll get picked on for being called Christian, it’s…well, you saw that episode of The Simpsons the other night.”

“Adam Lazzara, I’m the one who’ll be pushing him out. If I want to call him Christian so help me God he’ll be called Christian.”

“Fine,” he sighed in defeat,
“I’ll make a deal with you. If they’re both girls, I get to name them. If they’re both boys, you call the shots.”

“Within reason,” she warned.

“Within reason,” he repeated with a small smile,
“And if one’s a boy and one’s a girl-“

“I get dibs on the boy,” Emme cut him off.

“Okay,” he replied, kissing her cheek again,
“You ready to get out?”

She let out a tired sigh and shook her head no.

“You need your rest, come on,” Adam got out and dried himself off and then helped his wife out of the tub.

He sat on the edge of the bed and watched her dry herself off. She slipped on her underclothes and then an oversized tee-shirt and basket ball shorts.

“I hate these stretch marks,” she grumbled as she lay down on the bed, Adam lying down beside her.

“I got you cocoa butter moisturizer.”

Adam got the cream and rubbed it along her stomach.

She planted a kiss on his lips and pulled her shirt down before getting under the covers.

“What’s that?” she asked when she saw the red square in the plastic bag.

“Twizzlers,” Adam replied with a grin,
“I was thinking about the first time I met you when I was in the hospital.”

Emme smiled and pulled Adam down beside her.
“And you figured that if I couldn’t get any time off for a nice meal you may as well meet me after work with a coffee.”

“And all you wanted to eat was a pack of Twizzlers and even though I hated them I ate them anyways because you said that they were your favourite candy. And then we went to that mountain area-“

“And we planned on only sitting there for a short while before getting a Subway or something but we ended up talking for hours and by the time either of us bothered to look at the clock it was time for my next shift.”

Adam smiled and brushed a strand of hair out of her eyes.

“And I kissed you under the glowing ‘Sacred Heart A&E’ sign and I knew that you were the one that I was going to marry.”

She blushed slightly and kissed him once again before snuggling into him and closing her eyes. After five minutes her deep breathing let Adam know that she was fast asleep.