Battle of the Bands, Battle of the Hearts

Textbook

I chewed on a lock of my hair and ran my thumb over the cocktail napkin in my hand on which the 10 digits shown out to burn themselves in my skull. I rapped my fingers on the kitchen table beneath me and sighed in aggravation.

"What's up, Kai?" I jumped as my brother walked into the kitchen. I quickly scrunched the napkin into my hand.

"Nothing! Just...sitting here. Waiting for everyone so we can leave." I replied hastily. Tony raised an eyebrow at glanced at my hands.

"Who's numbers on the napkin?" I blinked at him.

"What're you-"

"I'm not stupid, Kai. That's a bar napkin from the other night. I saw that one guy with Theo put it in your pocket. Now you want to tell me about it?" I sighed and rubbed my temples.

"His name is Nick Watson, he plays guitar in Theo's band." I replied.

"Trusting Yesterday? I've heard them, Theo's got a good voice. They're a little pop-punk, but still." I nodded.

"Hopeless wants to sign them."

"Seriously? Nice, but what does this-"

"They want me to play with them." I interrupted quickly before I lost my nerve. Tony froze and stared at me.

"They want you to..." He trailed off. I quickly got to my feet and started pacing anxiously.

"But, I mean, I can't, right? I just can't up and leave all of you guys, right? Even if I could instantly be part of a signed band and have a regular pay check, you know. I mean you're fucking family and they're my friends, right? I can't just leave you guys for two Brits and two guys I haven't even met yet! Oh my God, I haven't even met them! I'm so-" Tony cut me off by wrapping his arms tightly around me in a comforting embrace.

"You've got to do what's best for you, Kai. Live for yourself. Forget about us. We've got Hi-me anyway." I stiffened and pulled away.

"Yeah," I whispered, "you've got Hi-me." Tony's brow furrowed.

"Kai, did I say something wrong-" The front door opened and closed heavily.

"Hey, Perry and Perrita, you ready to rock and roll?" Vic asked upon entering. I looked at Tony and stuffed the napkin back into my pocket.

"Yep, let's go."

************

The band was just as good as they had been at our last gig. Hi-me had a way of connecting with the audience that amazed even me, his absolute toughest critic. It was still anyones game.

"The band's got chemisty up there." I didn't turn. I recognized the accent immediately, there aren't many englishmen in San Diego.

"Yeah." I answered, not letting my eyes leave the stage. Tony's eyes darted to me and he chewed his lip slightly but gave me a slight smile.

"So Hopeless is officially signing us. We go on tour next month." He stated.

"Congratulations." I replied, still refusing to look at him, but my heart raced anxiously. I heard Nick give an audible sigh.

"Who are you trying to fool, Kailyn? You're not up there playing. Why? Not because you didn't want to, but because THEY didn't want you to. They may love you, but the music will always come first. Now it's time for you to put YOUR music first." Nick said loud enough so I could hear it. I chewed my bottom lip.

"But what if I beat out Hi-me? What if I get the spot with them?" I said, turning to face Nick, staring helplessly at him. Nick put his hand on my shoulder.

"If you win, what's going to happen to Hi-me?" My eyes flew to look at him.

"Why would I care what happens to Hi-me?" I furrowed my eyebrows at him. Nick rolled his eyes.

"Up until this year I was a psych major at University. You're textbook, love. You're in love with him." I stepped back away from him, yanking my shoulder out of his grasp.

"You're insane." I hissed. Nick shrugged and stepped back.

"Yeah, alright. Whatever you say. But think of it this way. Without this band, what is Hi-me? What's he going to do? How's he going to live? This is all he's got. If you don't love him, then go ahead and try to kick his arse. But if you do, isn't this best for both of you?"

There really was no doubt about it. Nick was right. Completely right. Now the only questions was did I have the balls to do it? I looked over my shoulder at Nick, who was looking at me with one eyebrow raised and his mohawked head titlted, as if he could read my thoughts and knew I had almost made my decision.

"I'll let you know tomorrow." I said, and then turned back to watch the band.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really don't like this chapter.
Actually I kind of hate it. But whatever. There is is.

The next ones the last in this part and then I'll start posting the sequel =)

Thanks for sticking with me guys.

Comment
please and thank you

Love you!
<3 W^C