A Story of a Man, A Women, And the Corpses of a Thousand Evil Men

The Drive

Lydia's POV

As Vince and I approached the car, he seemed to shrink in the sunlight. It made me realize how long he had really been in there. It killed me to watch him suffer, but it was all over now. We drove in silence for the first 10 minutes. I decided to break the ice and speak up.

"Are you hungry at all?"

He turned to face me, after staring blankly out the window.

"Yeah a little. I mean, I've been eating that hospital shit for two years!", He said with a chuckle.

I couldn't help but smile, seeing him really laugh again. I missed it so much. I was somewhat zoned out and wasn't really paying attention to the road.

"Lydia! Pay attention to the fucking road if you are going to drive!," he snapped at me while controlling the steering wheel from the the passenger seat.

He struck me.

I was in so much shock, I pulled the car to the left side of the freeway. I removed the keys from the igniton and sat there, motionless. I had a hand up to my face, as I turned to look at him. He was staring at the floor, playing with his feet nervously. He seemed to sence my glare.

"i'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I really didn't mean to mess up again. Please don't take me back there. Please."

His voice was rough with tears, as I saw them run down his face. He looked so innocent. So helpless. What was I supposed to do? I leaned over and kissed him on the forehead, before getting on the road again.

Vincent's POV

It was an awkward drive home. I had no right to talk and Lydia didn't need to I guess. I don't know what came over me. I mean, I knew the consequences if I acted up again, but Damn. I wasn't even a whole 20 minutes away from the Institution.
"Nice going Vince, You fucked up again."

But then again, she should have been paying attention to the road right? Maybe I just shook her back into reality. Well if the kiss was of forgivness or thanks, I'm grateful I recieved it. I'm grateful I was, at last, returning home.