Cotton Candy Clouds.

Hand in Hand

The roads melt away behind them as he drove further and further out of the city.

"Let's see...ta-take a right at exit 125," his girlfriend instructed him. She was sitting in the passenger seat, looking at the MapQuest they'd print out the night before. Her hand clutched the side of the paper nervously as she offered to take the wheel for her boyfriend.

He laughed, "Calm down, love. I wouldn't dare to hurt you." he flashed a smile at her, which seemed to ease her.

"Why don't you take a nap, sweety?" he said softly. "I'll wake you up when we get there."

The girl shook her head, but moments later, her eyes fluttered and she soon drifted off into sleep. The boy smiled.

They've been dating for the longest time. He had asked her out back in sixth grade, he believed. Now, they were in their last year of college, and still together. Something's been tugging onto him for awhile now. He had a feeling that this trip would stop the tugging. He knew that this trip would stop the tugging.

"Darling, wake up..." the boy shook his girlfriend gently.

Her eyes fluttered open and she sat up. They had stopped somewhere that was unfamiliar to her. Her boyfriend smiled at her from the driver's seat. "We're here."

The two stepped out of the car and looked at the surroundings around them.

"Where is here?" his girlfriend asked. They were on some kind of cliff that over looked their city. The cloud's colors were, like, cotton candy... pink, blue, orange, and purple. She almost wanted to jump on a cloud and eat it. The girl giggled to herself, thinking how childish she sounded, but it was true.

"Honestly?" the boy asked, putting his hands in the back of his pockets like a kid who was about to make a big confessional. "I don't know. The MapQuest was just from our dorm to some random place that I've never heard of. You can't MapQuest to here."

The girl took a seat on the rocky ground, she leaned back so she can look at the sky again. "So you just magically found this place? It's beautiful. I-I almost felt like I've been here before."

"We've both been here together once," her boyfriend replied as he took a seat next to her. He didn't stare at the sky, but instead, her. "When we met."

His girlfriend didn't remove her eyes from the sky, but she smiled. "I remember now. On that one field trip when our bus got broken down, and the teacher let us explore the place. We met up here and became friends almost instantly."

"You hated me before that, and you didn't even know me!"

The girl grinned, "I remember that." she looked at her boyfriend and placed her hand into his. "You're amazing."

The boy simply smiled and looked at the ground. Should he? No. Not yet. His eyes drifted to the scenic view of the city, a smile lingering on his lips. He felt his girlfriend's head rest on his shoulder and his smile widened. They were so happy together, and maybe this was the perfect chance. He held her hand tighter and took a deep breath. "Darling...?"

"Yes?"

"I've been meaning to tell you something..." he said quietly, turning his head towards her.

Her brows furrowed as she frowned, "What's up?"

The released her hand and framed her soft face gently with his hands. He tucked a few strains of her hair behind her ear, and leaned in to kiss her. She kissed back automatically, a smile playing on her lips. They both shared kisses together many times, but this felt like their first one all over again.

When they parted, they both had smiles on their lips.

"Was that what you wanted to tell me?" the girl laughed.

Her boyfriend shook her head, and paused for a moment. He looked into her eyes that seem to sparkle in the sunlight, and took another deep breath. "I just wanted to say...I...I love you."

He was afraid what his girlfriend might say. Would she laugh at him? No...she wouldn't do that. Would she...?

Finally, she laughed, and kissed him once more. "I love you, too."

And so they laid on the rocky surface together, hand in hand, and watched the cotton candy clouds.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had an urge this morning to write something romantic, and this is what I got.
I hope you enjoyed it.