‹ Prequel: White Wedding

Nothing To Lose

02

Teenagers save Cat from tree.
Cat is safe and sound.

I rolled my eyes and heaved the time wasting newspaper on the coffee table. Here I am, sitting on my own when I should be out with Johnny. He's probably got better things to do. "Alright, I'll see you in a bit at Picasso's no that's fine, I need to pick something up," I heard Johnny's voice coming towards the living area, "Okay, yep bye," he hung up.

"Hey Johnny, who was that?" I asked turning my body to face him on the sofa.

"Just the tour organizer, I need to meet him," he scratched his fluffy blonde hair.

"What about the other guys?" I raised my eyebrow.

"They've met her already," he nodded.

"Her? I thought it was a guy?" I narrowed my eyes.

"She is, I mean, he," his eyes widened, "I need to get going, I'll be back later," he stammered. I nodded my head at him as he walked out of the house, "I forgot my keys," he laughed nervously walking back in and grabbing them. I heard the door slam, and his car rev up. I can't believe this, he was ditching me for a girl. I guess I'll be seeing him at Picasso's, he just won't be seeing me. I smirked to myself and grabbed my car keys. As I got into my black convertible, I slammed the door shut, and pulled out of the driveway. Picasso's was as restaurant not far from the house, rather new and seriously popular already. But what else could Johnny be doing there?
It's inevitable, he's going on a date.

I parked my car around the corner, away from Johnny's and got out. I walked cautiously to the side of the restaurant, looking through the wide opened window. Bingo. I see Johnny sitting just a table away from where I'm standing, I duck and perch myself on small the brick wall behind me. He was sitting there as he was dressed when he left the house, the only difference was he had a gorgeous bunch of flowers in his hands. I bit my lip as it was obvious that he was expecting company from a girl. I sighed and slouched on the wall in disappointment. A petite blonde walked gracefully towards Johnny's table, I didn't get a look at her face, but I could tell, Johnny was aching for her. He gave her a kiss on the cheek and handed her the flowers, which she accepted giving Johnny a hug. She sat down opposite Johnny, where I got a far too clear look of her face. Lacey. My mouth gaped open so wide that a whole swarm of flies could possibly fit in. He was on a date with his old girlfriend?! I gasped and leaned back, only to be greeted with the prickly presence of twigs, leaves and thorns.

"Ow," I said quietly to myself.

"Need a hand?" A male voice asked. I nodded with a scowl on my face as I felt the discomfort of this shrubbery in places where it doesn't belong. He reached out his hand and gladly accepted it, pulling myself up. I dusted myself off and pulled some unwanted branches off of my outfit.

"I'm Steven," he added with a little wave.

"I'm Ronnie," I smiled nervously, "And I have twigs in my hair," I added. I pulled them out gently, as I winced in pain while my hair was pulled along with it "So what brings you here?" I asked.

"Visiting some family," he replied with a smile, "Do you want a drink or something?" he asked me.

"Yeah, just not here," I sighed, "I know this great bar down the street."

"Cool, I need a little reminder of this place," he laughed.

I took him to a small bar, overlooking the beach and the promenade, the sun shone through the huge window and the bar was partially empty, thanks to the new trendy restaurant that just opened a few blocks down.

"So, what brings you here?" I asked sipping on my plain coke.

"I came to visit my family," he furrowed his eyebrows at me, "didn't we establish that already?"

"I did ask already, didn't I? Sorry," I smiled sheepishly, "What I meant to say was, where are you visiting from?"

"Australia," he took a sip of his beer.

"Really?! Wow! I've always wanted to go!" I beamed.

"Yeah, the reason why I'm back here isn't all too glamorous, trust me," he rolled his eyes.

"Why?" I asked tilting my head to one side.

"You wouldn't understand," he shook his head.

"Try me," I smiled.

"I'm going through a divorce right now," he confessed. I laughed a little on the inside before I confessed too.

"I kind of understand," I laughed nervously.

"Why?" he asked in disbelief.

"It's not something I like to bring up in general conversation," he nodded, "Let's just say both payback and Karma are bitches."

"Fair enough," he shrugged, "But the thing is, between me and Emily, we have a 1 month old daughter," he added. He pulled out his tattered leather wallet from his pocket and removed a small picture from behind the clear plastic, "Her name's Lydia," he said. My eyes scanned over the picture once more before I handed it back to him.

"She's beautiful," I smiled.

"I don't know what to do, either move back here, with all of my family and friends but I don't get to see Lydia grow up, or stay over there where I have nobody but I get to see my little angel," he shrugged.

"Hmm, these are times when you do need your family, what do your parents think?" I asked.

"My mom knows we were married, but she doesn't quiet know about Lydia," he frowned. I raised my eyebrows at him, "She was born after Emily and I separated," he explained.

"Oh," I said to myself, taking another swig of my drink, letting the ice hit my delicate teeth.

"Shoot, I need to actually go and visit people in a bit," he said taking a glance at his watch.

"Okay, well thanks for the drink," I smiled, looking upwards as he stood from his chair.

"No problem," he grinned pulling out one of the beer mats, "Call me and we can catch up on this little dilemma," I looked on the back where his number was barely readable and underneath it had Steven written scruffily. "See you," he winked. I waved as I saw him walk out of the bar and down the pier.

A guy with baggage.
Do I really need it?

Johnny's P.O.V.
I sat at the table for two, rubbing my palms against my jeans to stop them from seating. My heart was beating like mad as I stared at the flower arrangement in front of me. Looking around, I saw a familiar face, Lacey. "Hey," she said walking over.

"Hi," I stood up, my voice trembling slightly, her soft lips were placed against my cheek as she greeted me again, "I erm, I got you these," I stammered lifting up the flowers and holding them in front of me.

"Oh, thanks," she smiled, giving me a hug. I pulled the chair out for her letting her sit down. She still looked as radiant as ever, she can turn so many heads that you wouldn't think it was possible, "So Johnny, how have you been?" she asked taking a look at the drinks section of the menu.

"I'm good, going on tour again in a few weeks," I nodded, "How's Harvard?"

"It's great, the classes are a bit demanding but I get by, plus Corey's usually there to keep me company," she smiled.

"Awesome, who's Corey?" I asked casually.

"He's my new boyfriend," she smiled, "He came back here with me, you have to meet him!" she beamed. My heart sank to the bottom of my stomach, somebody made her happy and it wasn't me. And that really hurt.

"Congratulations," I said softly, suppressing the amount of sadness in my eyes.

"So, who's the lucky girl? You surely can't be single," she inquired resting her chin on her left hand.

"Ronnie," The first name that popped into my head.

"Ronnie?" she thought, "Oh Ronnie! I remember her!" Shit. I didn't think, did I? "Val told me about what happened at her wedding, it sucks," she sympathized, "But at least she's got an awesome guy like you now!

"Yeah," I said slowly, "Wait, we're having a huge barbecue tomorrow, do you want to join us, bring Corey along too if you like," I smiled.

"I will," she grinned.

How am I going to pull this one off?
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the subscriptions and the....one...comment.
If you subscribe please could you comment? I like to see what people think :]