Come Angels of Unknown.

Oneshot.

The feeling stuck around all day.

It never went away. The night even passed- and still she felt it. With every breath she took, the feeling intensified. She felt as though she was being watched by someone.

She glanced at the clock-
2:30am.

Her thoughts drifted to her two children. They weren't children anymore. They had children, now. She was useless to them.

The feeling still remained.

She knew she was never alone in the home, but all the nurses must have gone home by then- shouldn't they have? The only people who were left were the other old folks. Forgotten by today's society-
By their children, their childrens' children.
Those who were left behind.

The grandfather clock ticked away, and still she felt it.

Come angels...

A small voice began to sing, seeming to float around the room melodically. Where it was coming from, she didn't know. Maybe it was in her head.

"Come angels of the lord..."

No- it wasn't her head.

"Come angels of unknown..."

It was behind her.
She whipped her head around, but where the person with the beautiful voice should have been- was only an empty void of air.

"Hello?" she whispered in her tired voice, worn out by the years.

"Don't be affriad, Miss," said a quiet voice. It didn't come from any particular place in the room- as If the air itself was talking to her.

"Who are you?" she asked, her voice quivering.

"Who do you want me to be?" whispered the voice. Her fragile heart began to pound. A blinding whisp of light flashed across her view, as the light began to collect into one solid form in the middle of the room like smoke. She braught her hand up to protect her eyes, but the light had since vanished- now being replaced with the figure of a man. His long black hair floated over his shoulders, even though there was not the slightest bit of wind. She stared wide-eyed at him, not speaking a word. "May I ask you a question, Ma'am?" The old woman did not answer but the man continued, anyway.

"Are you afraid of death?"

She pulled herself out of her rocking chair and approached the man cautiously.

She understood.

"You've been with me all day," she said, ignoring the man clad in the black trench coat's answer. The corners of his lips formed into a small smile.

"Yes." There was a hollowness to his voice- like it didn't belong there.

"Will you let me say goodbye to my children?" she asked silently. The man lowered his gaze to the floor in guilt.

"I'm sorry." The woman let out a long sigh, as the man lifted his gaze to her face once more, his arm stretched towards her invitingly.

"Come, angel."