Into Ember

Introduction

I walked down the hall, backpack in hand, preparing for the day ahead. My hair was tied back into two tiny pig tails and my outfit of jeans and a pink top where immaculate. The smile across my face matched my eyes: wide with anticipation. Mama turned around to face me.

“Amber, hun,” she patted my head, “You can’t go to school until next year.”

My smile turned into a pout. “I know.” I alerted. I kicked the air with the tip of my sneaker. “But I want to practice.” Mama laughed, and turned back to fix Matt’s jacket. He pouted the whole time, saying how he didn’t want to go to school. How it was pointless. Mama joked around, telling him maybe I should go in his place since I was so eager to go. Soon enough, he stopped complaining and took Mama’s hand and went out the door. I followed, shutting the door behind me.

We walked down the small street to the bus stop silently. Mama and Matt were ahead of me, leaving me in their shadow. I struggled to get to their level, and eventually, I fell behind. I was now left out of my brother’s shadow, and exposed to the glorious and rare sun. I looked up at the sky and smiled at the clouds. Although I was behind, I was just happy to be in the warmth, and in the spotlight.

But these moments aren’t always wanted. But the average girl of just three never understands that. Only when she gets attention she feels she doesn’t deserve, nor want, will she understand, and almost reject it immediately.

And only then, is when a girl matures into an adult.