Maneuvers

Entertain the Pain

"It was a treasure map, and at every little stop I had to make there was little wrapped gifts hidden so I would have to look for them. Most of the gifts were cute, like one was a mixtape CD that had all of our songs on it, just little things I guess. When I made it to the end, at the park they we used to ditch school at. Kyle was standing under the huge oak tree that we used to lay under for hours at a time. When I walked to him, about to yell at him for making me go all over texas basically, he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. There was no long speech about how he loves me, or guilting me into marrying him, he simply asked the question. I said yes." I said to Joel as he continued to admire my engagement ring wrapped around my finger.

"That story is cute and all, with Kyle hiding gifts at various places that mean the world to you and your relationship with him, but love have you seen your ring?"

I looked at it, "What's wrong with it?"

"Nothing!" Joel exclaimed, "I had no idea Kyle was loaded like this."

"Well he isnt, I'm guessing he saved his money. You didnt think Kyle would give me something cheap, did you?"

He shrugged, "I wasnt so sure, I mean I didnt think he'd give you fake but cheap ... yeah."

I gasped as I snatched my hand back, "Kyle is not some cheap ass bastard. He knows how to treat me, even if it isnt very often." I eyed my ring, "And he listens, I've always talked about having a tiffany engagement ring, back before we were even together, or fooling around with each other. This one is a little more expensive than the one I wanted, but it'll do." I smirked.

Joel shook his head, "But you guys just had that fight in the kitchen, didnt you?"

I raised my eyebrow, "Kyle and I fight at least once a week, and the kitchen wasnt a fight it was more of a talk rather than a fight. We were expressing feelings."

"You have that blue eyed boy wrapped around your pretty little finger, dont you?"

"So?" I smiled.

"So, what now?"

"What do you mean what now?"

"Well, we need a place to live. I need to get back to LA and start to pack, tell my family I'm moving, figure out if I want to sell my car and buy a new one here or just drive my car over here. What are you going to do?"

"Look for a place to live, I cant go back to LA just yet. Everything is settling down, Christmas is over and stress is dying down. Kyle and I have an appointment to look at an apartment at three, he gets off a two thirty."

"Love, my plane leaves at one."

I glanced over at the clock that told me it was just barely ten o'clock. "Ok, we'll drive back into Dallas, go have an early lunch then I'll drop you off."

"Sounds good." Joel agreed.

"When you get home, can you do me a favor?"

"Pack your shit?"

"Just the kitchen and living room, and you dont have to pack properly just toss everything into a box. We dont have anything of great value, do we?"

He thought for a minute then shook his head, "I dont think so."

"I'll be over there in a week, two weeks at most. I just want to get a place rented for us to move into. Plus, I need to go talk to my Mom, I havent seen her yet and I've been back for almost two weeks."

"Ok, two weeks." Joel held up two fingers then look around Kyle's room, "I thought you said this boy was messy."

I shrugged, "Not really. Organized chaos is what he likes, I think he cleaned up a bit before I got here." I stood up off of the bed and grabbed my purse and made sure I had my keys, "Shall we go?"

Joel got up from the computer chair and nodded slowly as he left the room first. Downstairs, Joel said he farewells to the Burns family, thanking them for a great holiday, and telling them they havent seen the last of him. I couldnt help but smile because Kyle's family really took to Joel, they adore him and there's nothing fake about their kindness, they truly do like Joel, and I'm glad.

Before I knew it, I found myself walking into the Skate Shop to kill time with Kyle as he worked. Joel was now well on his way to LA and Kyle still has an hour until he gets off.

"Hey Boo," Kyle greeted from behind the counter.

I smiled softly, "Hey Babe," I mocked in the same tone as I leaned over the counter and kissed his awaiting lips softly. I backed away and took a glance around, "Slow day?"

He shrugged, "Not really, slow at the moment yes, but a had customers leave right before you came in and now here come some more."

I turned around to see a group of guys walk in. I looked back at Kyle and he was already looking back at me. His blue eyes brighter than usual, "So, Joel left." I mumbled.

"And?"

"And I'm going back to LA in two weeks to pack up my shit after I find a place for all of us to live."

Kyle nodded his head slowly as he glanced over my shoulder at the group of guys, "Hold on, Boo." He walked around the counter casually, "Can I help you guys with anything?" Kyle asked politely.

One of them answered him and started to go into some sort of talk that I didnt really care about, I wasnt that interested. Leaning against the counter I let out a long sigh before biting my lip gently, being bored.

"Can I help you?" A male voice questioned.

I turned around to see a good looking boy with brown hair and a lip piercing, "Nope," I answered, "Just waiting for Kyle."

The boy looked over at my fiance, "He's a little busy at the moment, is there anything I can do for you while you wait?"

"Oh, no ... I'm not shopping. I'm Chloe, Kyle's---"

"Kyle's fiance," He cut me off with a smile, "I'm Jake, I'm sorta new here." He blushed softly, "Wow, I dont mean to be ... rude but I had no idea that Kyle could get a girl like you."

I frowned, hating that everyone and I mean everyone besides family, says that. "Like me?"

"You know what I mean."

I rolled my eyes but said nothing.

"I didnt mean to offend you---"

"Aw, dont take her too seriously, she wouldnt hurt a fly." Kyle laughed from behind me, before wrapping his arms tightly around my waist, kissing my cheek playfully. "Anyway, Jake this is Chloe and she comes in to bug me when she's bored." Kyle smiled softly as he let me go, "And I dont share so dont even try putting the moves on her when I'm not around." Kyle said with a lighthearted tone, but the look on his face said that he was serious about it.

Jake smiled softly, "I have some more shirts to stock, so nice meeting you."

"You too," I said back as he walked away. I turned around and looked at Kyle, "Scare the poor boy." I mumbled.

Kyle ran his hand through my hair, "Just making sure he knows what's mine is not his for the taking."

I rolled my eyes then poked his stomach, "I hope we like this aparment."

"I think it's a townhouse, Boo." Kyle informed me as he walked around the counter and took his wallet out of his pocket before sitting down on the stool, "Wanna do me a favor?"

"What?" I asked.

He pulled out a ten and handed it towards me, "Go get me a smoothie and a pretzel with cheese." He gave me a cute grin, "I havent had anything to drink or eat since this morning, I'm dying."

I took his ten then pouted my lips, "I need a kiss too."

He leaned over the counter and kissed my lips playfully. "That's all you got?"

Kyle nodded, "Yeah, until I get off of work thats all I got." He kissed my lips once more, keeping them pressed to mine a little longer, and it wasnt as playful as it was loving. He pulled away just barely before whispering that he loved me against my lips and kissing me once more like he did before he told me he loved me.

I pulled away from him completly and smiled, "I love you too." I replied softly, "What kind of smoothie do you want?"

"Mango."

I made a face, "Fine, you're gross." I insisted as I started to walk away.

Kyle simply laughed at me, "If you want to share with me, get what you want." He called after me.

I didnt stop or look back at him, I just kept walking away. The trip to the food court was short and uneventful. I ordered Kyle a mango smoothie then bought him a pretzel with cheese, weird combo if you ask me.

Walking back to the store at a casual speed, being in no real hurry I looked around, just eyeing everything, making sure there isnt any specicals going on that I would want to take advantage of.

Back at the Skate Shop, I handed Kyle his food and smoothie earning a soft thank you. I gave him his change then looked around, "Since when do you guys carry so much clothes?"

"Since before Thanksgiving." Kyle answered, "We're actually moving to another place in the mall, it's bigger, we get a lot of business."

"Any cute girls come in and hit on you?"

Kyle smiled, "I'd be lying if I said no."

I made a face, "I should put a big sticker on your forhead that reads 'Do not hit on me, I am taken' that would be perfect."

"No, it wouldnt." He muttered then suddenly his cell phone rang. Pulling it out of his pocket, he eyed the the ID before frowning. Flipping it open, he pressed it to his ear, "Hey," He greeted.

I watched Kyle's face go from easy going and playful to serious and almost confused, it was a look I havent really seen before. "I get off in like forty minutes, well is she ok?" He questioned then pain washed over his eyes, "Alright, calm down just take a few breaths. I'll clock out early and get down there. Yeah she's here with me," Kyle looked at me, staring dead in my eyes, "I'm not going to force her, if she doesnt want to go, then she doesnt want to go. Ok, I'll see you in a few." With that he hung up.

Shoving his phone back into his pocket he frowned as he looked back at me, "I need to go to the hospital."

"Why what's wrong?' I gasped, "Is it someone in your family?"

"No," He shook his head then licked his lips, "It's London, Boo."

I stared at my fiance being speechless, not being able to pinpoint my own feelings, "What happened?"

"She's dead." He whispered carefully then walked away, disappearing into the back to clock out I'm guessing. I continued to stand there awkwardly wishing I could feel something but I couldnt. Happiness is the wrong word I'm looking for about how I feel, and I wouldnt say I'm happy to begin with because I'm not, am I relieved? I dont know. I wouldnt wish death upon anyone, but somehow I feel like she had this coming to her, I know that makes me a horrible person. Maybe I'm just in shock and it hasnt hit me.

Kyle came back out with his hoodie on, and his fitted hat tugged onto his head, "I want you to ride with me," He said simply as he walked by me, lacing his fingers with me.

"Kyle, I can drive I'm fine."

He eyed me then shook his head, "No, I know you Chloe, you're slow to react to bad news like this. the last thing I need right now is you freaking out when you're going eighty on the highway, and getting into a wreck. You're riding with me." He said sternly, "Dont argue, you wont win this time."

I was taken aback by his tone but I listened anyway, I didnt argue. In his truck he was speeding towards the hospital and I just sat there, not really paying attention to anything, slipping off into my own world. Everything seemed to just blend together as Kyle continued to speed down the city streets.

"What happened?" I whispered.

"She was hit by a bus," Kyle answered, "Well, her car was and she was driving they announced her dead at the hospital."

"What about ... her baby?"

Kyle gripped his steering wheel a bit, "jonathan is with her right now. She's ok." He paused, "He's waiting for the blood test to get back."

I made a face but said nothing more. It seemed like years before we made it to the hospital and when we were there and walking into the babies private little room, we were just in time to hear Jonathan growl lowly and whisper some choice words under his breath before storming out, not even saying anything to us.

Kyle walked over to the counter and eyed the piece of paper Jonathan had thrown down and shook his head, "She's not his," Kyle whispered.

"And you expected it to be?" I forced a laugh, "Please, London couldnt stay faithful even if she wanted to." I spat then walked over and eyed the infant sleeping in her crib. She didnt really look like London, whoever her Father is, she must look like him, but she is a gorgeous baby.

"Hi," A nurse said walking in slowly.

I turned around but said nothing, "Hi," Kyle mocked softly.

She looked at the little girl, "Are you the next of Kin to London?"

Kyle looked at me then back at the nurse, "No, just ... old friends," He spoke gently.

She eyed the chart in her hands, "You wouldnt happen to be Chloe and Kyle would you?"

"We are," Kyle confirmed.

"Well," She started, "There's someone here to see you, I'll send him in." She smiled then left.

I hurried over to Kyle, "Who's here to see us?" I growled.

"I know just as much as you ... nothing." Kyle snapped back, "Who knows who it is."

"Kyle? Chloe?" A man in a suit asked, walking in.

We both looked at him, "You are?" Kyle asked.

"I'm Mr. Jensen, London's Lawyer."

I made my eyes wide, and Kyle just looked confused neither of us said a damn word.

"London has had a will since she was ten," He chuckled, "She was very bright and she was always worrying about what would happen to her belongings after she was dead." He paused, "London revised her will about three weeks ago ... maybe you guys should sit down."

"We're fine.' Kyle assured.

"Ok, well ... in case of her Death, London left everything she has to you two." He paused, "All of her money in her bank accounts which totals over ten million dollars, her cars, her house that her Father bought her four months ago. All of it belongs to you two."

I frowned as anger boiled within me. Kyle glanced over at me then back at the lawyer, "We dont want it."

"Well it's yours to do whatever with, sell everything and give money to charity, I dont care. And last but not least, the baby ... she's yours too."

I gasped out loud, "Oh no," I snapped shaking my violently, "No No No, she is not putting that burden on us. No." I growled, "kyle we cant raise that child." I demanded.

Kyle looked at me, he seemed upset as well but he had smoothed things over with London, he had moved on, I havent I guess. "We cant raise her," Kyle confirmed.

"Well, London thought that you two would fit best if anything would happen to her. If you dont want the baby you can always put her up for adoption, I'm sure the hospital has a list of parents wanting a child or something. But as of right now, you guys are her legal parents."

I shook my head violently once more as I stormed out of the hospital room, cursing London to hell if she's not already there. Once I was out of the hospital I fell onto a bench in the smoking area and just broke down, crying like a fucking baby.

Slowly I felt a pair of arms wrap around me, but they werent Kyle's, they werent as skinny. I pushed the person away and lifted my head to see my Dad, "Dad?" I whispered.

"Kyle called me when he was clocking out, told me that I better come here too." He whispered back, "are you ok, Jitter bug?"

I shook my head no as I leaned back into him, hugging him tightly. He sighed as he held me close, "This is more than just her death, isnt it?"

I nodded, "She left us everything, even her baby. How dare she even think about doing that to us." I snapped, "if I wanted a baby I wouldnt take bithcontrol, and I would have mine and Kyles own baby not someone elses."

"Maybe she was thinking about something else," He whispered as he rubbed my back, "You two had the relationship she was always looking for, maybe you and Kyle are the most loving people she knew and she figured that her baby would have a good family with you and Kyle. She felt safe leaving the baby in your custody."

I just pushed him away and stood up, pacing like I was out of my mind. Kyle walked out slowly and looked at me. I stopped and stared at my fiance. He reached up and wiped away my tears before kissing my forehead, wrapping his loving arms around me, "are you ok?"

"Yes." I lied then pushed him away, "We have a townhouse to look at. We need to go." I said simply.

Kyle frowned as he looked at me then made a face, 'I need to go talk to Jonathan." He said quietly.

"Ok, you go talk to him, London fucked him over too." I growled, "Sign all of the papers to give the baby up."

"I did." Kyle nodded, "You just need to sign them."

"well, I'm going to go sign them, then I'm going.' I turned to my Dad, "Do you want to go look at the townhouse with me, Kyle needs to go see Jonathan."

My dad nodded, "Yeah."

"Ok, I'll be right back." I said then walked back into the hospital. On my way to the elevators the Lawyer caught me, "Chloe, you need to sign these." He said holding papers out to me with a pen.

I quickly signed every place that I needed to then handed him his pen before walking away from him without another word said. When I was back outside, Kyle gave me a few gentle kisses on my lips, "We'll take when you get back." He whispered.

I just shrugged and walked away, "Dad lets go, I'm already late the realtor might not even be there now." I snapped.

My Dad quietly followed me after telling Kyle his goodbyes.

This isnt fair by any means. Even in her death she still manages to piss me off, unbelievable.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been the longest winter without you, I didnt know where to turn to. See somehow I cant forget you, after all that we've been through.