Maneuvers

Where's the fun?

Sitting at the table in the restaurant with my boyfriend, I eyed him slightly as he read his menu in silence. I sipped my pepsi then sighed, "How was your week?" I asked, "We didnt really get to talk much, you were busy with finals and all that,"

He shrugged, "It was busy, barely slept," He paused, "I was packing up my dorm,"

"Oh?" I asked, "You're moving?"

"Yeah, I am, into an apartment, nothing fancy, but at least I wont have a million roommates and it'll be mine," He closed his menu and put it down, "You can come up whenever, I'll give you a key,"

I smiled, "really?"

He nodded, "really, it's one of the perks of being my girlfriend," he joked softly.

I laughed then shook my head before stirring my straw around, "Jared, can I ask you something?"

"Anything," He answered before taking a sip of his tea.

"What happens next, like what are we doing?" I asked, "We've been together for almost two years, are we going somewhere with this relationship, is this as good as it gets, what?"

He licked his lips, "Well, Chloe ... what do you want to happen next. You graduate in a month, meaning you'll be able to move out, you can come live with me if you want to,"

"No, I mean ..." I frowned, "relationship wise, emotionally ... like, is this as good as it gets?" I paused, "How come we never do anything fun?" I asked, "Why do we always have to get dressed up and go out? Why cant we just stay in, or ... or go mudding,"

"Well, I cant go mudding in my car, and Im scared to let you take me mudding in your truck,"

"Why?" I laughed, "Kyle and I go mudding all the time,"

He pursed his lips, "Can I ask you something?"

I nodded.

"Why do you always compare me to Kyle?" He asked, "I know the guy is your best friend and you two grew up together, he's like your brother, but you always seem to compare us, you know we're not the same, not even close ... he comes from a happy, go lucky family ... and I well, I come from the complete opposite."

I made my eyes wide a little bit then shrugged, "I dont mean to, honestly, I dont ... maybe it's like a subconcious thing."

He shrugged as well, "Yeah, maybe ... but honey if you want to do something fun let's do something fun."

"Ok, Kyle, London and I always go on an annual camping trip ... why dont you come with us this year,"

"I dont camp, you know that,"

"Alright, then what do you do?" I asked, "I have an extra gun, we can go to the shooting range,"

He made his eyes wide, "You said you didnt shoot anymore,"

"Well, I havent in a really long time, but I miss it, I'm rusty..." I smiled, "Plus I need to get my aim back up, Kyle found his paint ball guns a few days ago," I laughed softly, "There is hell to be paid,"

He shrugged, "How about we just go bowling?"

"Bowling?"

"Yeah, it's fun, and indoors so we both win,"

I shruggged, "Bowling, sounds like a good time," I lied then I just stared at him, finally understanding why Kyle always says he isnt my type. Jared is preppy, very very gorgeous and smart, but he isnt one to get down and dirty. He likes me to dress a certain way, and now that high school is coming to a close and I'm questioning everything and everyone in my life, I dont like how he expects me to always dress nicely and wear make up, that isnt me at all to tell you the truth.

Jared is not really controlling, but he likes to have a say in things, whether or not I listen to him is a completely different subject. Kyle, he doesnt care, I walk out of the house in rags, no make up and having not showered that day and he'd still hang out with me, he'd make fun of me, but he'd be with me. Jared, I'm not so sure.

Yesterday I went to Dallas Kyle and he ended up kicking my ass at the go kart track because I got a shitty go kart. It was going so slow that I would've had better luck running around the track than driving that thing, so I ended up buying dinner and a movie. And the movie Kyle wanted to see was at the old theatre and it was black and white. I dont think he really knew what the movie was, I think he was just being a dick, but he still seemed to be enjoying himself, and I'll admit it, I enjoyed myself as well.

I want to leave Jared for Kyle, I really do I just dont know how. Jared hasnt really done anything 'wrong' that would cause a break up, though he does everything completely wrong. He isnt really funny, hardly smiles or laughs and he's just so tense all the time, almost like a robot, I havent ever seen the man shed one tear. Hell, you make Kyle sit through Lion King and he's bawling like a baby with simba's father dies. Kyle is man enough to cry during movies, and he's secure with himself to cry if he's upset. We've fought countless times over the course of our friendship and I have seen him cry, I think a lot of it is out of frustration versus sadness.

Slowly dinner passed and Jared took me home. After sharing a rather long good bye kiss that I didnt enjoy or really dislike, I went inside as he started his drive to his parents house. Once in my house, my Dad looked at my from his easy chair then frowned slightly, "Chloe, honey can I talk to you?"

I made a face, "Uh oh," I mumbled as I walked over and sat on the couch, "What did I or didnt I do?"

"No," He shifted in his seat a bit then eyed me, "Honey, I just need to ask you something,"

"Ok Daddy, ask,"

"Whats going on between you and Kyle?"

I frowned, "We're friends, you've known that since the moment I met the boy,"

"Honey, I see the way you look at him when he isnt looking and I know that a seventeen year old boy isnt just friends with a girl like you unless he's gay, or he's wanting to be more and he's just settling to be friends ... Kyle is a good guy, you should look into a relationship with him,"

"Daddy, are you trying to give me advice on my personal life?" I smiled giving it's my Mother who usually does things like this, not my Dad.

He turned a light shade of red and looked towards the TV, "I just want you to be happy jitterbug and you never seem to smile or laugh when you're with Jared, but when you're with Kyle, it seems like everything fits. His family likes you, our family likes him, you two seem to like each other and have a lot of things in common..." He trailed off slowly as he started to change the channels rapidly.

"Did Kyle set you up to this?" I asked.

"No," He shook his head, "No one set me up to do this, it's just he stopped by when you were at dinner, he seemed really excited about something and wanted to know if you were here, I told him where you were he looked let down then said to just tell you he stopped by and that he'd see you tomorrow at school."

"Oh," I mumbled softly then got to my feet, "Well, alright,"

"Chloe ... dont make that boy wait till it's too late," He said softly, "I know, Im a guy, we will wait till the world stops spinning, but sometimes we're easily distracted and once we are, it takes a whole lot of effort to get us back to focusing."

I just nodded then walked up the stairs to my room. Once I was in my room, I flopped down on my bed and frowned as I looked at it, remembering yesterday how Kyle simply laid here waiting for me. Is my Dad trying to tell me that I'm running out of time with Kyle? I reached over to my nightstand and grabbed my phone and I dialed Kyle's cell phone waiting patiently.

"Chloe!?" Kyle shouted into the phone and the background was even louder than he was, "I cant talk right now, I'll call you after the show!"

"Where are you?" I asked, speaking a little louder.

"I won two tickets to the MXPX show, I have to call you back!" With that he hung up on me.

I dropped my jaw as I hung up, not believing he went to the show without me. We had wanted to go to the show but tickets were sold out by the time either one of us had the money to buy them, he must have won them over the radio or in some contest. I slouched then kicked my shoes off meanly, pouting to myself.

Maybe my Dad is right, maybe I should just give Kyle a chance. It isnt like Jared and I are going anywhere special anytime soon. And even if Kyle and I dont work out, at least I know we'd have fun.

--------------

"Boo, wake up," I heard Kyle mumble.

I shifted in my bed then tugged my covers over my head, tiredly.

"Chloe, get up or I wont give you what I bought you,"Kyle snapped sternly.

I whined as I threw my covers off then looked around to see that Kyle snuck in through my window. I looked at the boy then frowned, "what?"

"Here," He handed me a plastic bag then sat down next to me on the bed. I sat up and opened the bag and pulled out a shirt from the show, "Thanks," I smiled.

He nodded, "I came by to get you, but you were gone, so I took Jonathan," He informed me.

"Yeah, I was at dinner," I mumbled as I reached into the bag to see that Kyle had bought me a CD and got it signed. I smiled, "Thank you," I said softly.

He nodded once again, "Theres some stickers and pins in there too," He mumbled.

I put everything back in the bag then put it down on my nightstand before snuggling back down into my covers. Kyle reached over and turned my light out, "I'll see you in the morning, ok?"

I nodded, "Ok,"

He leaned down and went to kiss my forehead, but moved my head up and caught his lips with mine. He didnt miss a single beat and he gave me a shy kiss, though it was deep and passionate, it was still somewhat shy.

He pulled away sowly then pressed his lips to my forehead like he intended to do the first time, "have good dreams, ok?"

"You too,"

"Always," He smiled then caressed my face before standing up and going towards my window. I lifted my head and looked at him, "Kyle?"

He stopped with one leg out of my window and looked at me.

"Wanna spend the night?" I whispered.

He just looked at me, "Are you sure?"

I scooted over in my bed then patted the spot next to me and nodded. He came back in, shut my window then walked over. After he was in nothing but his underwear, he got in bed with me and I snuggled closely to him, "Good night," I muttered.

"Good night," He mocked then kissed my forehead, "Have sweet dreams,"

"I will," I tangled my legs with his, "Dream of me,"

"Wouldnt dream of anyone else," He said softly and I believed him.

One day, and hopefully one day soon Kyle and I will be together. One Day.
♠ ♠ ♠
She tries so hard but it makes no difference, cause biting the bullet is bad for business