Steamin' at the Seams

You Will Not Let Go

We take Jacob's motorcycle back up to Emily's house. It's my first time on a motorcycle. I shut y eyes tight, my arms locked around Jacob's waist and my helmeted head pressed against his back.

"So, what did you think?" he asks when we arrive.

"Um. Exhilarating," I say shakily, taking off the helmet and blinking a few times. He laughs. My stomach flutters and my festering wound bleeds. Wrapping my arms around my torso and screwing up my face against the tears, I say "Let's go inside."

Jacob looks concerned but doesn't say anything as he drapes his arm across my shoulders and guides me inside. My chest burns and my fingers clutch at my sides.

"Good morning," Emily says cheerily as we walk into the kitchen.

"Hey," I say, leaning against the counter.

Will, Leah, Seth, and Quil are sitting at the table. Quil has a toddler in his lap, and is happily playing peek-a-boo with the giggling little girl. Emily is at the stove, and Sam is next to her, his hand resting lightly on the small of her back. The sight drives a spike into my lungs.

"Hungry?" Will asks. I nod wordlessly. He smirks. "So, I hear Jacob stayed at our house last night." I nod again. He looks about to say something else when Leah whispers something in his ear. He nods, then studies me with a concerned look on his face. "Lacey, are you OK?"

"I'm fine," I snap. Everyone – besides Quil and the little girl – eyes me for a moment.

"OH, Lacey, this is Claire," Quil says suddenly. He stands up, carrying the little girl over to where Jacob and I are standing.

"Hi Claire," I say, plastering a smile on my face.

"Hi," Claire says, burying her face shyly into Quil's neck.

"Don't worry Claire, Lacey doesn't bite," Quil says softly in her ear. I giggle.

When I see the utter devotion in Quil's expression, I realize that this is Emily's niece, the girl who Quil imprinted on. I guess it really isn't just love at first sight. Because that would be beyond creepy. Claire can't be more than three.

"How old are you, Claire?" I ask.

"I fee," She says, smiling shyly.

Jacob chuckles, holding his hands out. "Can I hold you, Claire?" The little girl shakes her head, yawning and leaning into Quil.

"She's tired. We just got her up," Quil explains, returning to his chair.

Jacob nods. "Oh, OK."

"Hey, Lacey, come here and get some food," Emily says.

She hands me a plate when I join her by the stove, and I load it up with toast, eggs, and bacon. She fills her own plate, then puts the platters of food on the table. She leans against the counter next to me while the boys – and Leah – descend on the food.

"So, how are you doing with knowing our little secret?" She asks.

I shrug. "It still feels like a dream, even though I know it's not. It's like I'm in a movie."

Emily smiles. "You'll get used to it soon."

Once everyone is finished eating, Sam clears his throat with authority. "We have to go see the Cullens."

"What!? Why?" Seth bursts out.

"They have to know about the leech we killed yesterday," Jacob says.

"Jacob, Lacey, and I are going to go," Sam continues.

"No, we're not bringing Lacey," Jacob says, his voice hard.

"We have to. They'll want to know her side to what happened," Sam says.

Jacob sighs, giving in. "OK, but they're not coming near her."

Oh lord, they're taking me to see the vampires. "Do I have to go?" I ask, a little scared.

Jacob nods reluctantly. "Don't worry, though. We won't let anything happen to you."

"When are we going?" I ask.

"After I call," Sam says. He pulls a slip of paper from his pocket as he walks to the phone. He dials the number on the paper and the Cullens waste no time answering the phone. "It's Sam, we killed a vampire yesterday…it was going to kill a human…we got it in time…yeah, she's here with us…OK, we'll be there soon." He hangs up the phone and turns to us. "Ready to go?"

"Sure, let's go see the vampires," I say, smiling weakly.

I leave my plate on the counter and walk to the door. Jacob walks beside me, his arm wrapped around my waist. The hole burns.

It's a good thing I have a very high tolerance for pain.

"Hey, Jacob, don’t let anyone eat my sister," Will says, half joking.

"I'll do my best," Jacob says, pulling me through the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
hey, here it is, another chapter. hope you like it (: I'll get another one out soon, I promise!xoxo
Feeney
comment?

title credit - We Could Live Like Kings ;; The Method To My Medium