Can You Stake My Heart?

The World Will Never take My Heart

I was sobbing uncontrollably and shaking with fear and anger for Gerard.
“Donna, I’ll take him upstairs,” my dad sighed. He grabbed me and lead my upstairs and into my bedroom. Gerard and I used to share but he got older and didn’t want to share with his baby brother anymore. “Mikey, I know your upset and we’re all scared for Gee, but you have to be a big boy now. Gerard wouldn’t want to cry would he? What would Gerard say if he saw you acting like this?” Dad said soothingly.
What would Gerard say? Probably something along the lines of: Mikey you big pussy! Stop crying!
I almost grinned. Maybe he was okay. Maybe he had hooked up with some girl and they’d gone at it like bunnies and fallen asleep somewhere. Maybe he’d be back in the morning. Yup. That’s what had happened. I buried my head in my pillow and immediately fell into a deep sleep.

Two boys are playing at the local park. The younger is 6 and the older is 9.

The younger is happily playing in sandbox and laughing to him. The older is slightly bored and is sadly watching the other boys play football, while he sits on the step, alone.

“Gee! Look what I found!” The younger boy shouts excitedly and pulls out a big fat bug from the ground.
The ball rolls over to the older boy. He sighs and kicks it over feebly.
“You wanna play?” shouts a tall boy with long dark hair. The older boy suddenly brightens up. “Okay!”
“Hey Gee! Don’t you want to see my bug? I called it Scootch!”
“Shut up, Mikey I’m going to go play with these guys. Go show mom or something.” he walks off, leaving his brother standing. The six year old sits down in the sand sadly to play with his bug while the other plays football.

His brother isn’t very good, but seems happy that he’s been invited to play. Suddenly he manages to score a goal. “Yeeeeaaaahhhh!”
The other boys run around him cheering and giving him high fives. “Woooh! That’s my brother!” shouts the little boy. He puts down his little bug and runs onto the grass, his glasses slipping down his nose as he goes. “Gee!” he calls out. He bumps into a tall figure and falls backwards. His glasses fly off and he rubs his eyes, on the verge of crying.
“Watch where you’re going shrimp.” The boy spits.
“I’m not a shrimp. I’m a boy. I’m called Mikey. What are you called?” The tall boy laughs cruelly. “I’m Bert, and you’d better stay outta my way, shrimp. You got that?” He shoves the little boy to the floor. Big fat tears begin to run down his cheek.
“Did you just hit him?” the older boy shouts across the pitch. Bert ignores him and walks off to play. The boy runs of to his older brother and clings to his waist. “What did he do to you Mikes?” he asks angrily, holding the six-year-old protectively. “He hit me Gee. And I fell down and got a bluey thing on my knee!” he says showing his brother the bruise. He takes his brothers hand and they march off to find Bert.
“Don’t hit my brother you jerk!” he yells grabbing the other kid by the shoulder.
“Don’t fuck with me geek. “ sniggers Bert and turns back to his friends/
“Apologize to Mikey!” he snaps, shoving him hard in the chest. Bert stumbled back but throws a punch at the boys nose. The little boy with glasses begins to cry as his brother gives out a hiss and pounces on Bert in rage.
“Say you’re sorry! SAY IT!”

***********************************

“Gerard! You are grounded. Now sit down and the bleeding will stop. I’m going to talk to Bert’s mother.”
The boy sits frustrated, with a bloody nose next to his little bro (who had found his bug and was playing with it again). “Gee?”
“Yeah Mikey?”
“Did you fight that guy for me?”
“Uhh…Yeah,”
“Oh. Thank you Gee.” He clasped his big brothers hand tightly and edged closer to him on the bench. “You’re my favourite brother. Please don’t be anybody else’s brother okay. Promise you'll only be my brother?”
“Yeah, okay. I promise.”


When I woke up it was morning. The vivid dream I had had was fresh in my memory and it made me smile. I looked up at the alarm clock on my bed. 8:13.
I guessed I wasn’t going to school today. And that meant Gerard still wasn’t back. My smile faded almost instantly.
My phone vibrated loudly. I groaned and fumbled around for my glasses so I could read the text. It was Frank.

Hey?
How come u guys aren’t at skl?
I tried gee’s fone but no reply.
Y didn’t he call me ystrday?
Call me soon sucka
X

I sighed and disregarded the message. I’d wait till Gerard got back and then he could text Frankie back.