Can You Stake My Heart?

We'll Fly Home

I realised I didn’t specify their ages at the beginning so here they are (obviously I screwed them all up):
Mikey – 13
Gerard – 16
Ray – 16
Frank – 15
Bob – 15 (almost 16)

FRANK’S POV

Why didn’t he ring!?
Maybe he was avoiding me because he hadn’t dumped Heather.
Maybe he didn’t want to be with me…
Maybe it had all been a dream.

Mikey and Gerard were still off school. I tried their phone before I left at 4:00 but no pick up. I could see Heather out of the corner of my eye. In her stupid short skirt, showing off her new designer handbag.
“Hey Heather?”
“Uhh yeah. What do you want?” she asked, obviously embarrassed that she was hanging out with me. She made a point never to be mean to me when Gerard was around.
“How’s it going with you and Gee?”
“Fine. Why do you care?”
I didn’t even answer her. I turned away and hurried to the toilets before anybody could see the tears in my eyes. He led me on. I actually thought he cared about me and maybe was in love with me. Why didn’t he dump Heather?
Fuck him. He shouldn’t have done this to me! He was probably going to tell Heather what a fag I was and they’d both laugh and make out and the whole school would hate me even more and the guys would leave me. After all I’d ever done was love him. I’d have died for Gerard.
I looked through my puffy wet eyes at the bathroom mirror. The sight made me want to puke. I hated myself.
I rammed my whole fist into the cold glass, mad at it for showing me the face that I despised so much. The shards flew through the air, soaked in my blood. I screamed in pain, but it felt so good at the same time. I picked up one of the bigger pieces of glass from the grimy floor. I shivered as I ran it up my wrist, pressing gently. More warm blood gushed out and I let it drip to the floor. I felt all the anger wash away slowly as the dark red liquid ran down my sleeve. I picked up my bag with my other hand and walked out of the school quickly before people noticed what had happened to me. Or rather, what I’d done to myself.

When I arrived home I called Mikey again. No answer. Why wasn’t he picking up either!? Maybe Gee told him not to. My hand was swollen and covered in dark drying blood. I hurried to the toilet to wash it off; I didn’t want my mom to see this. I grabbed the tissues and began to wipe it off. After most of the blood was gone a bandaged up the cuts and put a wristband over my slashed wrist. I’d tell mom I fell down on the pavement or something. I had gotten good at lying about cuts and scars on my body.

MIKEY’S POV

My Grandma Helena and some other family that lived nearby had come over to console my parents. Mom was in tears and Dad had gotten no sleep. The police told us they’d get back to us if they found anything. “It’s okay, Donna. He’s a big boy, he’s 16. And he knows his way around these parts of New Jersey. I’m sure he’ll be home soon.”

I sighed and sat alone on the stairs. I got another text on my phone. It was from Sophia.

Hey mikey
How cum ur not at skl?
R u sick? If u r hope u get betta
xx

Usually I’d be freaking out. I mean, she noticed I wasn’t there at school! She actually cared about me! But I was to tired and to anxious to reply. And I didn’t want to tell her what happened.
The doorbell rang a few minutes later. I opened up expecting another worried family member. I hated them all coming. We didn’t need sympathy. After all, Gee would coming back! Instead I saw Frank.
“Oh, hey Frank.” I said. It was good to see him. Fuck I would have to tell him. I couldn’t not tell him. And I always thought that maybe Gee had a tiny little thing for Frankie but I never knew if Frank felt the same.
“Hey! What’s up? You and Gerard haven’t been to school so I just wanted t-“
“- Frank, you should come in.” I sighed. Frank looked slightly surprised but came in. Grandma Helena gave him a wave. She only came in emergencies and on special occasions.
“Mikey, what’s going on? And where’s Gee. I gotta talk to him.”
“Frank. Don’t tell anyone but…” I could feel those fucking tears falling down my cheek again. Frank looked even more worried. “Mikey. Mikey, don’t cry.” He said looking up at me sadly. I didn’t know what to do so I hugged him. I didn’t usually hug. I mean, I was a guy. Frankie put his arm around my back reassuringly and waited for me to stop. It seemed forever but only a few seconds later I pulled away.
“Frank. Gerard’s gone. He’s missing. He went to get a beer and then he disappeared. I-I don’t know what’s going to happen.