A Light in the Dark

Chapter 1

“After you read this, burn it. Then leave for the Burrow, by midnight. Mom.” I sighed as I slapped down the note my mother had left on the counter. So she finally had enough of me. I looked at the clock on our floral wall next the fridge, it was 11:30.

I stood there leaning on the counter staring at the clock, as if hoping it would tell me why my mother just left the house, leaving a note telling me to leave. The meow of my black cat caused me to jump as she pawed at the note.

“Well if my mom wanted to kick me out she should have at least said bye. Why on earth should I burn this note? That’s not burning the guilt she should have for kicking out her only daughter. And why by midnight? Huh, Midnight? You want to tell me?” I slightly grinned as Midnight rubbed against the arm I was leaning on. After a couple minutes of scratching her head I finally decided to go pack and head to the Burrow. I knew for sure I would love the Burrow better.

As Midnight and I headed upstairs I heard footsteps in front of the door on our wooden porch. I gave Midnight a sly grin, it had to be my mother.

“Back to say forget it hopefully. It’s weird; I never even knew she wanted to kick me out.” I shrugged as I picked up my cat and walked up towards my room. My mother would have to come face me; I wasn’t going to go face her.

When I got into my room I left my door open, but for laughs started packing my school trunk. School was starting in a week anyways, so at least I could get started.

As I dropped my trunk on my maroon full sized bed, I heard the door downstairs crack open. Well, that’s weird. Doors don’t usually crack when they open, but the crack was so distinct. It was a familiar crack.

Someone apparated downstairs. No, more than one someone. I was hearing multiple doors crack. Three to be exact.

Midnight looked at me with her yellow marble eyes, asking for permission to investigate. I picked her up and grabbed the wand of my bedside table. I heard footsteps heading upstairs, but barely. They were light footsteps, but I could hear them because I used to listen to Midnight walk up and down the stairs silently, to improve my hearing for being an auror. I was determined to be like my father. (No matter how much Mother disapproved.) My father, according to my mother, was murdered by He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, because he was one of the more powerful aurors. So I barely remember ever seeing my father. He died when I was two years old, just before Harry Potter destroyed you know who just as a baby. So I mostly live on the stories my mother used to tell me about him, but she refuses to say his name. I don’t even have a picture of him.
So, holding tightly to Midnight, and keeping a good grip on my wand, I slowly, and quietly, walked out of my room and into the hallway. The stairs was on the other end of the hallway. I had left the lights off in the hallways, so now I could see a faint light coming from the stairs. This caused my stomach to turn as my heart jumped, but I didn’t back up. I quickly pulled out every spell I could think of as I slowly glided forward.

Who on Earth, would be trespassing at my house, at midnight?
And why?
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, I hope you liked it!
Let me know what you think!