Status: COMPLETED!

The Flower That Blooms in the Darkness

Take the Breath out of Me

The voices swirled around me, and a feel of familiarity fell over me.

My eyes flew open, and I jumped to my feet, preparing myself for an attack.

These faces weren’t the ones I’d visualized in my head..

They weren’t the scientists*.

I let out a sigh of relief.

“Onee-chan!” I was glomped, and fell to the ground.

Mamoru-chan’s laughing face came into my line of vision.

“Onee-chan, you didn’t tell me about Ane-san!”

I gave Itachi a ‘wtf?’ look, but he was too preoccupied with his thoughts.

"Ane-san is so cool!"

"And yet, you were the one that was yelling at her in the beginning, un." Deidara-chan spoke up.

He looked ashamed. "Well...."

"Wait, what're you guys talking about," I looked around, "and since when did we get back?"

Everyone just looked at me weird.

"What?" I asked, starting to get annoyed.

"Natsumi-chan.... don't you remember Asayake-san?" Sasori-chan asked quietly.

I froze.

So you finally made an appearance, huh?

Yes. Are you terribly angry with me?

No. Actually, I'm not.


"So, 'Ane-san' is Asaya, huh, Mamoru-chan?"

He grinned and nodded.

"I'm glad you like her." I smiled back at him.

Everyone relaxed, and chatted amongst themselves.

I guess they thought I'd be angry.

I glanced at Itachi-chan, and he was still distracted with his thoughts.

"Natsumi. Follow me." Pein-sama's anger reverberated in his voice.

"Can't this wait until later?" I whispered.

"Now." He hissed, and stalked off to his room.

I sighed in resignation, and started to follow.

I felt a tug on my shirt, and looked down.

"Yes?" I said, grinning down at Mamoru-chan.

"Onee-chan...will you come back? Will you be all right?" He asked, concerned.

"Don't worry, Mamoru-chan. I'll be back before you know it. Just stay with Sasori-chan and Deidara-chan."

He brightened at my words, and skipped off.

He sure has changed since we rescued him.

Yeah. I'm glad we could help him find a better life. I just hope that I survive this so I can continue to watch him grow up.


Then I saw Ko-chan.

"Ko-chan!" I glomped her immediately, and naturally, she blushed.

I missed that.

"Ko-chan, where've ya been?"

"Well, you know...around...." She mumbled, and I caught on instantly.

"You still owe me that story, Ko-chan." I whispered, and got up. "But for now, I must go!" I announced dramatically.

She smiled, and I walked down the hall.

With a thousand questions, answers, and escape plans forming in my mind.

He's obviously mad, so I need to remain as calm as possible to save us from spilling blood.

Well, me, anyway.


I grinned at the thought.

So, he's definitely going to ask about why I haven't told him about Asaya.

But I don't see why he's freaking out; it's not like how it was with Yumi!

Jeez. I'm giving myself a headache.


I rubbed my temples, and realized that I was already ay Pein-sama's door.

I took a deep breath, and was reminded of the last time I was at this door with Mamoru-chan.

Except now, I had to face this totally alone.

"Will you be all right?"

I smiled briefly, but it was more of a grimace than anything.

Who knows, Mamoru-chan. Who knows but God himself....

I opened the door quietly and poked my head in.

I saw nothing but darkness.

Something grabbed my arm and flung me inside, then shut the door.

My back collided with something, and then I hit the floor.

Hell, it could be the ceiling for all I know. I can't see anything in this damn darkness.

I made no sound, and had no expression.

"So, are you going to kill me now, Pein-sama?" My voice held no emotion, and I made no move to get up.

"No, you damn idiot. I would never kill you. I'm just pissed off because you insist on keeping secrets from me!" A lamp was switched on, revealing the familiar room.

It turns out I hit the wall. And I was on the floor after all.

Pein-sama picked me up off the floor, holding me by the neck.

Which, of course was cutting off my air supply.

Still, I made no movement.

We stayed like that for a moment, and then he let me go.

I crumpled to the floor, taking ragged breaths.

He picked me up by my shirt, and his hand came up and punched me square in the face.

I stumbled back, and flopped on the couch.

Damn. There's going to be a bruise from that one.

Are you just going to lay there and take this shit?

I could practically hear the growling in my head.

The hand came near me again, and I reacted on instinct this time.

My claws unsheathed in an instant, and i jumped to my feet, leaping to the side, and striking his head with the back of my claws.

He turned and stared in disbelief at my sudden change of behavior.

"That's enough. I will take no more from you, you bastard."

His eyes narrowed at that.

"I came here to talk. Not to be treated like a piece of shit. And this better not be how you treat Ko-chan."

He opened his mouth to speak, but I cut him off.

"As to answer your question earlier, I only kept it from you because I didn't think you needed to know."

"Didn't think I needed to know? Natsumi, I run an S-ranked organization. Every family secret, every kekkai genkai, I need to know." He threw his hands up in exasperation, and sat down on the ground, his head in his hands.

There was a period of silence, then:

"I'm sorry." He finally mumbled.

I nodded and smiled a sad smile. "I understand that your job is stressful. But there was no reason to hit me. I expect you to never do that again."

He nodded, his head still in his hands. "Please leave." He suddenly said, and I thought I saw something wet on his face.

Tears?

I placed my hand on his shoulder in a comforting gesture before leaving.

I closed the door softly behind me, and made my way down the hall.

I hate the bastard. Let's kill him.

I actually feel sorry for him instead of anything else. And no, no death for you anytime soon.

Damn.

Too wrapped up in my thoughts, i bumped into someone and it sent us both flying, only to land on our rumps.

"Ow...." I muttered, then looked to see who I'd run in to.

Surprise, surprise. It was Itachi-chan.

I started laughing. It started out as a giggle, and then erupted into full-out, crying because you're laughing so hard, type of laughter.

I guess he's still thinking. That baka.

He stared at me with a bewildered expression, then grinned as if he had a great idea.

I quit laughing abruptly, and became wary.

He stood and picked me up over his shoulder in one fluid movement, then headed down the hall again, away from the family room.

"Itachi-chan.... where are we going?"

"You know, we haven't had any alone time in a while." He stated, ignoring what I'd asked. "Not like how it was in the closet, at least."

I blushed. even though he couldn't see me, he chuckled. I guess he just knows me too well to know my responses.

We ended up in his room.

Of course it would be his room.

He laid me gently on his bed sideways, and laid next to me.

Did I mention his bed is huge?

"Dude! This bed is fucking huge!"

He laughed, and kissed me full on the mouth.

When we broke apart, I sighed. "I missed that...."

He looked serious all of a sudden. "They really did put you through hell, didn't they?"

I realized what he was getting at. "Itachi, stop it. I'm fine now, and Ibiki's dead. Besides," I teased, "you should worry about Sasuke. He seemed like he was such a match for you."

He laughed, and I smiled at the sound. "Him? He's nowhere even near being ready to even touch me!"

Then he looked at me again, and his eyes softened. "Natsumi.... ever since that day, when you were taken away from me, I realized something. I want you to be here with me forever. So, there's something I want to ask you."

He got down off the bed, and I sat up, trying to see what he was up to.

He knelt, and took my hand in his, and pressed his lips to it.

"Kuragari Natsumi of Konohagakure, will you...marry me?" He mumbled against my hand.

I froze.

You're in deep shit now! Ha!
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope this was pretty long!

Arigato, my faithful readers, as always!

~Star