Sieze the Day

Is This a Date?

********Ashlyn's POV*******

After the dinner with Brian and Dylan, we were five minutes late, much to Elizabeth's disappointment, the four of us went to the park.

Brian and I were sitting on a bench watching Elizabeth and Danny swing on the swings. We sat in silence, it wasn't to uncomfortable, but I was never one who dealt well with quiet.

"So, how's touring? I mean with Dylan and all it must be hard." I asked breaking the silence.

"Well, it's not to bad. If we tour in the summer, when he's not in school, he comes with us. And if we're touring when he has school, either Val, Leana, Gena, or Lacey watch him with some help from my parents. It is hard though, I mean to not be with him all of the time. I love the little guys so much. It's like he really is my son."

"Brian, technically he is. His father never even wanted to be involved, and Emma died before she could even see him so, it's not like she married another man and that was his father. Brian, you are his father,"

"Yeah, I guess I am. But, it's gotta be hard for you to, being a single mother and all."

"Of course it is, but it's worth every minute of it. And I had help too. My neighbor had been a single mother most of her life, that was until she met her new husband. She helped a lot. She'd babysit her when I went to college or work, and when her daughter turned sixteen, she would babysit for me to go out and try and date. Of course, most men ran off. They didn't want baggage. I tried very hard to make sure that Elizabeth never got attached, I couldn't see her broken hearted." Brian's arm went around my shoulder, pulling me into him.

"Well, I'll be here for you now. I'll help as much as possible, and I'm sure Matt and the guys and the girls, and you Aunt will be all for helping too." He said laughing, "You will never be alone again."

'Does he mean it?' I asked in my head.

'He means it Ashlyn, every word of what he just said he meant. You can count on him. I sailed as Danny said this to me.

I looked back up at the kids to see them on the teeter-totter, Elizabeth trying to push the ground, but not succeeding. I laughed.

******Brian's POV******

'I love her laugh.' I thought to myself.

'She's falling for you Brian.' Emma told me.

'How would you know?'

'I have my sources.' Her voice left as quickly as it came.

"Ashlyn?"

"Yeah Brian?" She looked up at me.

"Do you ever." I was cut off by Elizabeth jumping on Ashlyn and Danny plopping next to me.

"Mommy, I'm tired." Elizabeth yawned. 'I guess I won't be able to ask tonight.'

"I'm sorry Brian, it's getting late, and I have to get her home." Ashlyn said in an honest voice.

"It's OK, I'll walk you to your car, come on Dylan, we have to get home too." I said standing up with Dylan, Ashlyn and Elizabeth. Ashlyn was struggling to carry Elizabeth. "Here, let me carry her." I said holding my arms out to Ashlyn.

"It's OK." She said in a huff. I walked over and peeled Elizabeth off Ashlyn, she snuggled into my chest and began to fall asleep. "You don't have to carry her."

"I want to, plus what good are muscles if you can't help a pretty lady out."

"Eww, dad no flirting when I'm around." Dylan said picking up his pace to walk in front of us. Ashlyn laughed.

"Yeah dad, no flirting." She said as she batted her eyelashes. We got to her car and she buckled Elizabeth in.

"Hey, I'll call you tomorrow OK? We can do something, maybe the guys will come to." I said smiling at her.

"Yeah, that sounds good." She gave me a kiss on the cheek and drove off. I got in my car with Dylan and made my way home.

**********Emma's POV*********

"Well, our plan is going well."I said to Danny.

"Yeah, it is. It's good to see her with a decent man."

"Yeah, It's good to see Brian with a decent woman too."

"Emma?"

"Yeah Danny?"

"Is it OK for me to move on if Ashlyn does?"

"Um yeah."

"OK, see you tomorrow."He said turning away, leaving me with questions that only he could answer.