Don't Fall Asleep Too Soon

The angels can wait for a moment.

The never-ending drone of the machines rattled in his ear. It was the only thing he ever heard anymore, apart from his lover’s voice. All he ever seemed to feel anymore was the sharp tear of skin when a needle pierced the skin, or when his lover stroked his hair back and kissed his cheek. The only thing he seemed to be able to do any longer was to lie in bed, helpless, apart from where his lover would manage to move him from bed and into a wheelchair to sit in the gardens in the sun.

It had all become repetitive, the same day playing out over and over again, never really changing much – only if his condition worsened or something in his stats seemed to be looking better, but that was rare. All his days ever seemed to be filled with were constant checks from pretty nurses who tried their best to make him feel comfortable for his ‘stay’ they seemed to talk about.

But he wasn’t stupid – he realised this was no weekend away from the reality of life. He knew that reality was staring him right between the eyes and the reality was, he was going to die. Sooner rather than later.

It had taken so much getting used to that the pair didn’t really seem like themselves any longer. When he had found out, he had simply sat there staring at himself in the mirror thinking no, no, not me. But it was him, it was him that was ill and it was him that was about to die, it was him that was about to leave the world behind and join the angels after he falls asleep.

His lover had pleaded with the doctor, had begged the nurses and had grovelled to a higher power, but none of the methods had given results. All he could do was watch his partner slip from his hands, right into that hospital bed and away from his life forever.

He had pleaded for him to stay with him just one night longer. He had begged the angels that he could have one last kiss, one last squeeze of his hand that had life in it and just one moreembrace that would have to last him a lifetime. He had sobbed and screamed that he have just one more moment longer, that he didn’t have to fall asleep so soon and that the angels could wait for a moment, but that moment had gone. The moment had passed, and so had his lover.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, deathfic. angst, sorry.
Never written anything like this before, so I'm very sorry if it sucks, let me know what you thought?

Lyrics and theme from the song Stay with me - DJ Ironik